Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

They bought Drury out of his final year, he didn't retire from the Rangers.

Right, if the cap keeps going up $4M per year might be the proper price for a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman. Plus his salary for those final 3 years is only $1M per and can be bought out, waived & sent down to the AHL, or easily traded to a team looking to reach the floor.

Do you think Ehrhoff is a "2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman?" Really? The guy who led the SCF Canucks (who were #1 in the NHL in offense AND defense) in ice time last year?

I'm just as disappointed in the Sabres' performance this year as anyone else is, but this is silly.

Do you think Ehrhoff is a "2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman?" Really? The guy who led the SCF Canucks (who were #1 in the NHL in offense AND defense) in ice time last year?

I'm just as disappointed in the Sabres' performance this year as anyone else is, but this is silly.

I read his comment differently, as in, as the years go by and the cap goes up, $4M will be a complete bargain for Ehrhoff because it will be the appropriate price for a second-pairing or third-pairing guy.

Not sure which interpretation is right.

They bought Drury out of his final year, he didn't retire from the Rangers.

Right, if the cap keeps going up $4M per year might be the proper price for a 2nd or 3rd pairing defenseman. Plus his salary for those final 3 years is only $1M per and can be bought out, waived & sent down to the AHL, or easily traded to a team looking to reach the floor.

I read his comment differently, as in, as the years go by and the cap goes up, $4M will be a complete bargain for Ehrhoff because it will be the appropriate price for a second-pairing or third-pairing guy.

In the original post by Lanny he said "proper price". I'm not an expert on the proper use of the English language ... hell I can hardly even speak it.

Anyway, when Lanny said that I believe nFreeman has the more accurate interpretation of Lanny's point.

I'm going with Eleven's response. So will Myers' in 2018.

I'm sure there were Islander fans that thought the Depietro contract was a good signing.

The initial retaining of Regier and Ruff can be excused, to continue making that same mistake is inexcusable. I have no expectations that Ruff and Regier will be let go in the off-season, at this point I think it is foolish to even consider it. Pegula has shown his hand, he would much rather be everyone's buddy at the F'N Center than live up to his own words. "Only reason for existence" is as big a load of crap as "getting them the tools to finish the job."

I'm sure Pegula will make the big changes in the off-season like a Zen garden retreat for the players, a cascading waterfall in the players parking lot and some accent pillows to match the new rug.

I agree that keeping Regier on is a big mistake, but it may be excusable depending on why Pegula is keeping him on. If he's keeping him on because he's a nice guy and doesn't want to make enemies or come off nasty, then yea, that's totally inexcusable. But if his reasoning is that Regier's shortcomings were 90%+ because of ownership, then it makes complete sense that he'd be given more than 1 offseason and season to build the Sabres up. In either case I think he's making the wrong choice and just delaying the inevitable, but if the latter is how he's reasoning it out then I can at least see where he's coming from.

I'm going with Eleven's response. So will Myers' in 2018.

I'm not sure why this is even being discussed. You two are correct. Lanny's point is as clear as day. He responded directly to what I was saying about the end of the contract.

I'm not sure why this is even being discussed. You two are correct. Lanny's point is as clear as day. He responded directly to what I was saying about the end of the contract.

I agree that is (probably) what he meant, but that is not what he said, at least that's the way I read it.

I agree that is (probably) what he meant, but that is not what he said, at least that's the way I read it.

You mean the first part of the post where he's clearly talking about years into the future? I'm surprised Freeman jumped on that point. You pilling in afterward? Not so much.

I understand that Ehrhoff is getting a lot of his total contract money up front, but leaving that aside, do you think he's overpaid at $4MM per year (cap hit)? I think he's a good player and that is actually a pretty good price for him from the Sabres' perspective.

The cap hit is great for the Sabres. That contract doesn't get done without the $18 Million in the first 2 years. It is unlikely that Erhoff will be here for the 10 years, too much can happen.

I understand that Ehrhoff is getting a lot of his total contract money up front, but leaving that aside, do you think he's overpaid at $4MM per year (cap hit)? I think he's a good player and that is actually a pretty good price for him from the Sabres' perspective.

I like that he fought dudes when his teammates wouldn't. And you're right, the actual cap hit is reasonable.

Here is the only thought on Ruff I have left. In 30 years, Scotty Bowman had 28 playoff appearances and 9 SCs with 5 different teams. He would not have been as successful had he stayed with one team the entire time.

I moved this...

Anyway, I think there's no question that Ruff could be more successful elsewhere, if that's what you're saying. That's not why I want him to stay, though.

I moved this...

Anyway, I think there's no question that Ruff could be more successful elsewhere, if that's what you're saying. That's not why I want him to stay, though.

I think we would be more seccessful, as well.

If you would rather that both the team and Lindy struggle then that's just mean.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot help but think that if you were to put any Sabre on any other team, they would do well. Stafford on Philly would be awesome, and while we all love to put Roy down, the fact is he is far better then he is showing. It just seems to me that the team had stopped playing completely for Lindy.

After "that" Boston game, Lindy was very quick, as always, to criticize players openly, a tactic that is not accepted nor advocated by other coaches. In fact, coaches have been quick to stress that a coach should NEVER openly criticize players as a means of motivating them. Quite simply, it backfires.

Lindy loves to think he can change any player, and make them all the "complete" player, who does

everything. But the truth is, players are what they are, and you have to coach to a player's strengths, not weaknesses. Trying to make a offensive player play defense, or conversly a defensive player score lots of goals, is a non-winnable tug-of-war, one that Lindy undertakes with virtually every player. He can quickly ruin any career, because of these tactics he readily employs.

I am no fan of Toronto's coach, but I have to admit Wilson is doing a good job coaching that team. He allows Kessel to do exactly what he's good at...scoring goals. He's terrible defensively, as are some other players there, but Wilson does not try to change them, but rather lets them play to their strengths, thus Toronto's success. And at least they are not boring, which Lindy's team definately is.

I think Regier has constantly put together talented teams, and continues to be very good at drafting. The talent is not the problem, as there is lots on this roster. The whole problem is behind the bench. And until that is addressed, this team is going nowhere. Too bad, cause the talent's there. What makes Detroit so good?? COACHING. I rest my case.

I cannot help but think that if you were to put any Sabre on any other team, they would do well. Stafford on Philly would be awesome, and while we all love to put Roy down, the fact is he is far better then he is showing. It just seems to me that the team had stopped playing completely for Lindy.

After "that" Boston game, Lindy was very quick, as always, to criticize players openly, a tactic that is not accepted nor advocated by other coaches. In fact, coaches have been quick to stress that a coach should NEVER openly criticize players as a means of motivating them. Quite simply, it backfires.

Lindy loves to think he can change any player, and make them all the "complete" player, who does

everything. But the truth is, players are what they are, and you have to coach to a player's strengths, not weaknesses. Trying to make a offensive player play defense, or conversly a defensive player score lots of goals, is a non-winnable tug-of-war, one that Lindy undertakes with virtually every player. He can quickly ruin any career, because of these tactics he readily employs.

I am no fan of Toronto's coach, but I have to admit Wilson is doing a good job coaching that team. He allows Kessel to do exactly what he's good at...scoring goals. He's terrible defensively, as are some other players there, but Wilson does not try to change them, but rather lets them play to their strengths, thus Toronto's success. And at least they are not boring, which Lindy's team definately is.

I think Regier has constantly put together talented teams, and continues to be very good at drafting. The talent is not the problem, as there is lots on this roster. The whole problem is behind the bench. And until that is addressed, this team is going nowhere. Too bad, cause the talent's there. What makes Detroit so good?? COACHING. I rest my case.

I can't find a single thing in this post I agree with.

I think Regier has constantly put together talented teams, and continues to be very good at drafting. The talent is not the problem, as there is lots on this roster. The whole problem is behind the bench. And until that is addressed, this team is going nowhere. Too bad, cause the talent's there.

I get the underlying theme that it's time for Ruff to move on, but how you substantiate it, I can't agree with at all. And the point above is the worst in my opinion. There is a huge talent problem and that's on two guys who have been together for 15 years. As I've said before, Ruff does not get a free pass on the composition of this team from me. He has influence on personel decisions with Darcy. If not, why is "such a highly respected coach around the league" willing to put up with this roster. He could simply move on if he is so sought after and coveted.

(1) After "that" Boston game, Lindy was very quick, as always, to criticize players openly, a tactic that is not accepted nor advocated by other coaches. In fact, coaches have been quick to stress that a coach should NEVER openly criticize players as a means of motivating them. Quite simply, it backfires.

(2) Lindy loves to think he can change any player, and make them all the "complete" player, who does

(3) I think Regier has constantly put together talented teams, and continues to be very good at drafting. The talent is not the problem, as there is lots on this roster. The whole problem is behind the bench. And until that is addressed, this team is going nowhere. Too bad, cause the talent's there. What makes Detroit so good?? COACHING. I rest my case.

I disagree. with just about all of this.

There is talent on this roster, yes. But not what you're making it out to be.

1) first bolded part: News flash, Lindy isn't the only coach that calls out his players for crappy games. Torts has done it, Laviollete has done it, among others. A coach needs to find balance between calling his players out and teaching, because both are great motivators if used correctly. When I used to get called out in front of my peers in baseball, I came back hot the next game, and the next practice because i had something to prove. My coach also knew that sometimes I was just off, and that something mechanics wise needed fixed, and that didn't require being called out. Lindy calls out who needs called out on a regular basis, and I don't go to practices or meetings, but I'm sure that they discuss other things there that the media never hears about.

2) False. Lindy brought in Regehr to be a stay at home defenseman so that Myers could jump up into the play more. Ruff is using Weber more becuase he is a stay at home defenseman (one who takes stupid penalties albeit), but he doesn't ask them for any more production than they give. would it be nice? yeah. The one thing Lindy does do well in my opinion is let players play to their strength to an extent. Vanek dangles and snipes, Goose and Kaleta and Ellis are strong on the puck and are defensive players, he plays them as such. Myers is an offensive defenseman, Ehrhoff as well...he plays them as such. He even called them out for hesitating to do what they do: shoot and jump into the play!

3) this was already addressed above, but this team has spots of talent, and spots of hard workers. There's a difference. Detroit has a good great coach, don't get me wrong, but they also have one of the deepest lineups in regards to level of talent on both Defense and Offense. Buffalo is nowhere near Detroit IMO, and they haven't been for a few years now...I would argue that '05 - '07 they were...and now not so much...

I rest MY case.

Every team has some "Talent" on their roster. heck, you could argue that every team is talented, considering the guys in the NHL are supposed to be "the best of the best" because they made it to the highest level of their field. Unfortunatly for the Sabres, and most other Bad teams, they don't have enough talent, or talent thats better the otehr teams talent. Good coaching can only go so far

Every team has some "Talent" on their roster. heck, you could argue that every team is talented, considering the guys in the NHL are supposed to be "the best of the best" because they made it to the highest level of their field. Unfortunatly for the Sabres, and most other Bad teams, they don't have enough talent, or talent thats better the otehr teams talent. Good coaching can only go so far

How long will this fallicy continue to be propagated. "The poor guy has no talent." "Darcy sucks and gives poor Lindy nothing to work with." I hear from the locals and the national tools that " he is extremely well respected around the NHL" If the Sabres' let him go "he'd be signed in a minute" So, if Darcy is dealing him no talent, why does this guy stay? He loves Buffalo? He can raise his family their entire life in Clarence, NY. He'd' turn down a chance to make more money and a chance to win a cup, because I'm told he can get a job anywhere in the NHL? And would demand huge dollars in a bidding war? "He can coach a team to a cup if he only had talent?" His motivational stuff ran out long ago, and he's NOT a great x's and o's coach. And, joined with DR at the hip for 15 years makes him part of what has built this gem. It is both their vision, and it got us where we are. Sh*t runs down hill.

These two clowns are a packaged deal and MUST leave together! Unfortunately, Pegula the fan will take time to become a disenchanted owner who is no longer snowed by Darcy's shtick.

Archived