Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

The Lindy Ruff show is old and tired. New players are brought in and they go from prospect to turd. Lindys system forces them to not play by instinct and look at what he has done with Luke Adam. Its time for a change at head coach and may also require some players jettisoned.

This collective " wisdom" is such crap. I suppose Lindy is the only coach who makes his players pay attention to defense. Everyone else is the league is out there playing shinny, right? They let their stars be stars, right? You know who actually did this? Washington. And even with their unbelievable talent it got them nowhere.

This collective " wisdom" is such crap. I suppose Lindy is the only coach who makes his players pay attention to defense. Everyone else is the league is out there playing shinny, right? They let their stars be stars, right? You know who actually did this? Washington. And even with their unbelievable talent it got them nowhere.

Raffi Torres says otherwise.

Tom Baurle's rant that someone mentioned elsewhere:

http://www.wben.com/...audioId=5578951

This basically sums it up for me but I will include D.R. on the must go list. I respect Lindy and I know he'll be successful elsewhere but his time here is done imo. All things must come to pass. He ain't got no answers so bring in a new guy.

This basically sums it up for me but I will include D.R. on the must go list. I respect Lindy and I know he'll be successful elsewhere but his time here is done imo. All things must come to pass. He ain't got no answers so bring in a new guy.

The sad thing is that was 7 weeks ago.........and not 1 thing was done to change the franchise since then.

Ruff will survive January, but he will be fired 2/2. The Sabres will not improve until changes are made on the roster, but Ruff will be fired 2/2. I actually thought about starting a thread, but hell, why bother.

The Sabres will continue to be bad until the roster improves. They can be Columbus, which goes through coaches rather than players, or they can be sensible about it. Teams that improve with coaching changes always have roster changes attendant to that. (With one exception: NJ. They're screwy, and they won't win without Brodeur, anyway.)

OK.......I take this seriously because I have long assumed you are a drinking buddy of Lindy, or some loose relation given your "passionate defense" of him.

Has he been informed that a change will be made? Are you just assuming the Sabres will lose their next 2 on the road then come home to play the Rangers where the fans go over the edge and boo and throw stuff on the ice? I can see all hell breaking loose that night, leaving Ted Black sneaking out the back door in the middle of the 2nd period.

I find this interesting because it seems as if Lindy told the fellas to just go out there and do their thing. Lieno tried another backwards blind pass last night, but nobody noticed because it wasn't between the legs, it connected, and it didn't lead to an opposition goal. For him to do that 2 nights in a row after what happened the first time......does everyone in that room know it is over and the Sabres are just using the next few weeks to interview and get offers on the table for the new GM and Coach?

Come'on Eleven......give it up. I don't care if your BAC was .14 when you posted it........you never waver from your defense of this guy, yet now you throw out a specific date of his firing?

I'm sure Regier does not bring a player in here without consulting with Ruff and I believe that Ruff probably has the final say on if he thinks that player that will fit his "system" and can be coached. After 14 years together I highly doubt that Regier makes a move player wise without Lindy signing on 100%. Ruffs fingerprints are all over this mess.

Consult? Sure. But as DeLuca pointed out, Ruff doesn't have time to be a pro scout. If your GM comes to you and says there's a player available who plays strong along the boards, is great at puck possession, and good at making passes from those positions...OH and is a natural center forced to play wing because of team depth? In other words, a player that fits 110% Ruff's system and the team needs...what is Ruff going to do, say no? It isn't Ruff's job to make sure everything the GM just told him is true, it's not like he can go watch 200 hours of game tape. Also, I'm pretty sure he has even less to do with giving said player a 6 year deal when he only produced for 1 NHL season.

If it makes you feel any better, much-coveted Brad Richards is on pace for a career low in scoring and is on the books for 9 seasons, and has shown 0 chemistry with Gaborik who he was supposed to be paired with. Every single free agent gets overpaid, and it's nearly as much of a crapshoot as the draft as to whether it will work out as planned. Sure he's helping the team indirectly by taking heat off other players and allowing a guy like Stepan to face lower quality D-pairings, but he isn't exactly the star scorer they thought they were getting.

The Lindy Ruff show is old and tired. New players are brought in and they go from prospect to turd. Lindys system forces them to not play by instinct and look at what he has done with Luke Adam. Its time for a change at head coach and may also require some players jettisoned.

The list of players who have been stifled by Ruff's "system" is too long for one page on this message board.

If it makes you feel any better, much-coveted Brad Richards is on pace for a career low in scoring and is on the books for 9 seasons, and has shown 0 chemistry with Gaborik who he was supposed to be paired with. Every single free agent gets overpaid, and it's nearly as much of a crapshoot as the draft as to whether it will work out as planned. Sure he's helping the team indirectly by taking heat off other players and allowing a guy like Stepan to face lower quality D-pairings, but he isn't exactly the star scorer they thought they were getting.

Is this the same Brad Richards who is playing for the first place team in the Eastern Conference? I'm sure he isn't too upset about his low scoring right now....

Is this the same Brad Richards who is playing for the first place team in the Eastern Conference? I'm sure he isn't too upset about his low scoring right now....

Yea I'm not saying he's a bust, he's a big reason the team made the jump from where they were last year. Just saying that free agents typically fall short of expectations, even the marquee guys.

There has to be a reason why players like Boyes and Leino come here with such high expectations, but then completely fail. Boyes has been a 40+ goal scorer (although it was in 07-08), he has 8 with the Sabres so far, Leino scored 19 with the Flyers last season and was a +14, with the Sabres he has 3 goals and is a -9. Lindy is a player killer.

Boyes was playing on a line with Keith Tkachuk and Paul Kariya. Leino was, of course, playing on a line with Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell. I think it is obvious by now that Leino and Boyes relied a lot of having solid linemates, which they don't have here. But I agree with you that Lindy hasn't helped them develop any chemistry here because he shuffles the lines constantly. I really think this is doing more harm than good with so many new guys in the lineup. Lindy learned to shuffle lines from Scotty Bowman, but Scotty used the technique back when rosters were more stable and teams didn't churn players at the rate that they do now.

Boyes was playing on a line with Keith Tkachuk and Paul Kariya. Leino was, of course, playing on a line with Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell. I think it is obvious by now that Leino and Boyes relied a lot of having solid linemates, which they don't have here. But I agree with you that Lindy hasn't helped them develop any chemistry here because he shuffles the lines constantly. I really think this is doing more harm than good with so many new guys in the lineup. Lindy learned to shuffle lines from Scotty Bowman, but Scotty used the technique back when rosters were more stable and teams didn't churn players at the rate that they do now.

Scotty won the west with St. Louis when the division was all expansion teams and the east was the original six. In Montreal, he had the best 4 defensemen in hockey, and probably forwards as well. And in that game, they played long shifts and you could easily double shift them. Scotty never won a cup where he didn't have the best personnel in the league. Smart guy and could handle them. Kudos to him. Ruff has done nothing and deserves no comparison to him.

OK.......I take this seriously because I have long assumed you are a drinking buddy of Lindy, or some loose relation given your "passionate defense" of him.

Has he been informed that a change will be made? Are you just assuming the Sabres will lose their next 2 on the road then come home to play the Rangers where the fans go over the edge and boo and throw stuff on the ice? I can see all hell breaking loose that night, leaving Ted Black sneaking out the back door in the middle of the 2nd period.

I find this interesting because it seems as if Lindy told the fellas to just go out there and do their thing. Lieno tried another backwards blind pass last night, but nobody noticed because it wasn't between the legs, it connected, and it didn't lead to an opposition goal. For him to do that 2 nights in a row after what happened the first time......does everyone in that room know it is over and the Sabres are just using the next few weeks to interview and get offers on the table for the new GM and Coach?

Come'on Eleven......give it up. I don't care if your BAC was .14 when you posted it........you never waver from your defense of this guy, yet now you throw out a specific date of his firing?

It was slightly lower than .14. I think.

The first home game after the road trip is 2/1. And I don't think the Sabres will win it.

And I still don't think it will be the right move.

EDIT: I thought about this a little more. What's interesting to me is that there is no buzz among the national/international hockey media at all about Ruff. I haven't seen any non-local commentary calling for his head. So maybe I will turn out to have been mistaken. I'll be happy with that.

The first home game after the road trip is 2/1. And I don't think the Sabres will win it.

I have those tickets 4 sale on stubhub if anyone interested. Ranger fans?

EDIT: I thought about this a little more. What's interesting to me is that there is no buzz among the national/international hockey media at all about Ruff. I haven't seen any non-local commentary calling for his head. So maybe I will turn out to have been mistaken. I'll be happy with that.

Very Eeeeeenteresting...... :angel:

Scotty won the west with St. Louis when the division was all expansion teams and the east was the original six. In Montreal, he had the best 4 defensemen in hockey, and probably forwards as well. And in that game, they played long shifts and you could easily double shift them. Scotty never won a cup where he didn't have the best personnel in the league. Smart guy and could handle them. Kudos to him. Ruff has done nothing and deserves no comparison to him.

Comparison? :blink:

The problem for this team isnt coaching, its the players. Lindy is a good coach but he doesn't have the right pieces. A world class chef can't cook a world class meal with ingrediants that don't go well together. Our forwards outside of vanek and pommers have no chemistry. Chemistry is vital to scoring, espeshially in 5 on 5 situations. The sabres have too many players who are at their best playing the same roll. Roy, pommers, leino, stafford and boyes are perimeter players. They make things happen by setting up along the wall and either making a move to the net (if one on one or opposition out of position) if that isn't open they pass the puck / take an outside shot for a rebound. Two or three of these types of players on a line don't work. Put a perimeter player with a linemate who works well around and behind the net two to tie up defensemen or make them move out of position and either a creative forward who can either make space with speed or find openings in the slot and backdoor with creativity. They will all benefit and production will soar. Think Sykora Arnott Elias when NJ was at its best. All were/are very good players with considerable skill but their chemistry above all else was the key to their sucess. If ruff had an array of players with different talents the lack of team chemistry would be his fault. He doesn't. Give ruff the right peices and he will get the best of them. Lets be real any team with 12 mill tied up in roy boyes and stafford isnt gonna win much.

Cuz we do not matter. Why would you expect a buzz? Hockey heaven is years away, if we ever see it. We haven't mattered in several years.

He was expected to come in and help the team improve.

Right, but they thought they were getting a borderline superstar center who could take over games. Go ahead and read some Ranger forums, there's a lot of fans disappointed with him right now and they still cite consistent scoring as their #1 weakness. If you take him off the team, they're obviously not #1 overall, but with Gaborik's bounce-back season and the growth of young studs like Stepan and McDonagh and their lockdown D, they still may be leading their division.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no magic bullet for a struggling team. Adding a #1 center by itself didn't take them from #8 in the East to #1 in the entire league. Relating to the Sabres, if we had landed Richards instead of Leino, exactly how much better do you think we'd be right now? Better sure, but top in the division? League? Playoff team?

Right, but they thought they were getting a borderline superstar center who could take over games. Go ahead and read some Ranger forums, there's a lot of fans disappointed with him right now and they still cite consistent scoring as their #1 weakness. If you take him off the team, they're obviously not #1 overall, but with Gaborik's bounce-back season and the growth of young studs like Stepan and McDonagh and their lockdown D, they still may be leading their division.

Edit: I guess what I'm trying to say is there's no magic bullet for a struggling team. Adding a #1 center by itself didn't take them from #8 in the East to #1 in the entire league. Relating to the Sabres, if we had landed Richards instead of Leino, exactly how much better do you think we'd be right now? Better sure, but top in the division? League? Playoff team?

As to your edited comments I couldn't agree more. This teams problems go so much deeper than a number 1 centre. Sure it would add another dimension and fill a much needed deficiency but there is a whole laundry list of needs to be filled on this roster.

As to your edited comments I couldn't agree more. This teams problems go so much deeper than a number 1 centre. Sure it would add another dimension and fill a much needed deficiency but there is a whole laundry list of needs to be filled on this roster.

Don't tell Jeremy White, he thinks he knows hockey.

Archived