Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

This is 100% correct, IMO.

I'm tired of hearing about what Lindy can't accomplish because of what he doesn't have when he get's so little out of what he does have. Lindy Ruff's reputation is based on Hasek, Miller's one good year and two years after the lockout. The rest of his tenure has been a failure.

yes and yes

I agree totally, but TPegs breaking the silence in the media at least give me hope that he is considering change. Hope is all I have right now...

For TPegs to sound off in the media tells me he is just as frusterated as us fans and he is thinking of ways to make things better. He sees it as we do. We can only hope.

TPegs is also a businessman, and on the hook for a crap ton of money to Ruff, whether he coaches or not.

At this point, given the chaos injuries have wreaked upon the roster, I guess we're not going to see anything happen until summer at least (note: I do not endorse this view, but feel it may be held by those whose opinions matter).

I'm a Darcy fan. I've loved some of the moves he's made in the past. Christ, he turned Michal Grosek into J.P. Dumont and DOug Gilmour. His first crak at an untied purse (with salary cap) has been an utter failure. Everyone and their mother knows we need a center to play w/ Vanek (and, I suppose Pominville... makes me feel dirty to admit he's a top line player on this team). Signing a winger and telling everyone he can play center is not going to cut it.

Miller should have been traded before this season for a halfway decent NHL goalie, prospects, and sweet, merciful cap space. If the past decade has told us anything, it's that average NHL goalies (Howard, Fleury, Tim Thomas, etc.) win cups because the team in front of them is good. And before anyone argues with me, Thomas is average, and supported by the system in front of him. Lalime could win the cup in front of a few of these teams.

Miller should have been traded before this season for a halfway decent NHL goalie, prospects, and sweet, merciful cap space. If the past decade has told us anything, it's that average NHL goalies (Howard, Fleury, Tim Thomas, etc.) win cups because the team in front of them is good. And before anyone argues with me, Thomas is average, and supported by the system in front of him. Lalime could win the cup in front of a few of these teams.

Wrong. Average goalies don't break the NHL record for highest save percentage (.938). I don't know if you watched any of the Bruins' playoff series last year, but Thomas carried the team... not the other way around.

Wrong. Average goalies don't break the NHL record for highest save percentage (.938). I don't know if you watched any of the Bruins' playoff series last year, but Thomas carried the team... not the other way around.

He pulled his season out of his rear a full decade (in terms of age) after Miller did. With a vastly superior defense in front of him. End of. Watch from here on out, and tell me I'm wrong after this season.

Howard, Fleury, Osgood...nothing special.

Tim Thomas...outstanding. They play good systems, but he has carried the team many times. He makes incredible saves frequently.

It's time for change.. Not as big of a change as switching coach, but a trade would be nice. Just trade a mediocre part of the team that we wouldn't miss (puck moving defenseman or slaking forward, example: gragnani or stafford) . Just to ruffel the feathers, picks or center in return for the trade. If that doesn't work then it's overhaul mode (trading a core player or lindy's time to go).

Just trade a mediocre part of the team that we wouldn't miss (puck moving defenseman or slaking forward, example: gragnani or stafford) . Just to ruffel the feathers, picks or center in return for the trade. If that doesn't work then it's overhaul mode (trading a core player or lindy's time to go).

So, in other words, everyone but Vanek can go?

While much of what has been stated here is correct...much, not all...I think that TP's sound endorsement of Lindy last February must be considered in this discussion.

His statement of "Lindy's not going anywhere." speaks volumes. How can he now turn around less than a year later and can this guy? Not without a lot of egg on his face.

The post that stated Lindy's demise must come from another GM is probably how this will go down, if it goes down at all. It's rather difficult to point the finger at Darcy when it is obvious the players (i.e. Miller) are not ready to play, but it may be the only option TP has available right now.

While much of what has been stated here is correct...much, not all...I think that TP's sound endorsement of Lindy last February must be considered in this discussion.

His statement of "Lindy's not going anywhere." speaks volumes. How can he now turn around less than a year later and can this guy? Not without a lot of egg on his face.

The post that stated Lindy's demise must come from another GM is probably how this will go down, if it goes down at all. It's rather difficult to point the finger at Darcy when it is obvious the players (i.e. Miller) are not ready to play, but it may be the only option TP has available right now.

Serious question, because I don't recall if he did or not....but did T-Pegs give Darcy such an emphatic endorsement?

Serious question, because I don't recall if he did or not....but did T-Pegs give Darcy such an emphatic endorsement?

No but that was because he was given a contract prior to Pegs purchasing the team. Was it a two year deal does anyone know?

No but that was because he was given a contract prior to Pegs purchasing the team. Was it a two year deal does anyone know?

Looks like he got a 2-year extension, somewhere in the neighborhood of $2 to 2.5 mill.

Nothing outrageous. T-Pegs has that in his cushions, so replacing him - not a big deal.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sabres-nhl/article329598.ece

That statement was made during a barn-burning run into a play-off slot.

Now, the team is embarassing him. What's worse for him, sticking with a team that is a flat out embarassment, or going back on his word from a year ago?

He's a laughing stock at parties regardless.

That statement was made during a barn-burning run into a play-off slot.

Now, the team is embarassing him. What's worse for him, sticking with a team that is a flat out embarassment, or going back on his word from a year ago?

He's a laughing stock at parties regardless.

The "ain't going nowhere" quote was referring specifically to Lindy's then in the air contract status beyond 2010-11, right? While I don't think it likely he is fired this year midseason (Ted Black kind of publicly nixed the possibility) I don't think Pegula necessarily endorsed a lifetime contract or anything. If this stagnation continues well past the time injuries cease being a crutch then it's got to be a consideration but I won't hold my breath, just my nose.

What is the expiration date of Pegula's statement? Is he to be expected to never make a change at coach because of that statement? I recall Pegula making that other statement about the Stanley Cup being the only reason for this franchises existence. Those two statements are diametrically opposed to each other. Pegula has to make a tough choice, it's either keep the coach or keep the Stanley Cup as the only reason for the franchises existence.

What is the expiration date of Pegula's statement? Is he to be expected to never make a change at coach because of that statement? I recall Pegula making that other statement about the Stanley Cup being the only reason for this franchises existence. Those two statements are diametrically opposed to each other. Pegula has to make a tough choice, it's either keep the coach or keep the Stanley Cup as the only reason for the franchises existence.

I don't think he fires Lindy during the season but if the team quits on him the way the Caps quit on Boudreau then I think both DR and LR are canned shortly after the season ends.

And as poor as they looked last night I don't think they've quit on him to that extent.

We are all freaking out I will bet millions this team turns it around and then everyone will be saying how great Ruff is. The sky is falling and were in 7 spot in the east I would hate to see this board if we were last in the nhl. And i think we are missing guys like Brad Boyes more then we know, he was playing well when he got hurt. And even when tyler myers is not at the top of his game it's better then no myers the sabres miss him big time. And as for Miller lets hope he catches fire going into the playoffs this year and all his bad play is behind him.

We are all freaking out I will bet millions this team turns it around and then everyone will be saying how great Ruff is. The sky is falling and were in 7 spot in the east I would hate to see this board if we were last in the nhl. And i think we are missing guys like Brad Boyes more then we know, he was playing well when he got hurt. And even when tyler myers is not at the top of his game it's better then no myers the sabres miss him big time. And as for Miller lets hope he catches fire going into the playoffs this year and all his bad play is behind him.

I think you're right in many ways. The Sabres are frustrating right now, and not playing with the intensity they need to. The goaltending has been subpar all season long if you disregard the Enroth flukes early. And I agree that a player like Boyes is missed right now. But on the other hand, it is very worrisome that when a player like Boyes does go down, we don't have any established players to fill the void. It's been the callups from the Amerks that have elevated their play, not veteran players like Stafford or Roy.

I think the Sabres are going through a perfect storm of injuries, goaltender issues and team adversity and it's becoming very clear which players can be counted on to buckle down and fight and which ones will just go through the motions. I hope, hope, hope that management is paying close attention and that changes are coming either at the trade deadline or in the off season.

I think you're right in many ways. The Sabres are frustrating right now, and not playing with the intensity they need to. The goaltending has been subpar all season long if you disregard the Enroth flukes early. And I agree that a player like Boyes is missed right now. But on the other hand, it is very worrisome that when a player like Boyes does go down, we don't have any established players to fill the void. It's been the callups from the Amerks that have elevated their play, not veteran players like Stafford or Roy.

I think the Sabres are going through a perfect storm of injuries, goaltender issues and team adversity and it's becoming very clear which players can be counted on to buckle down and fight and which ones will just go through the motions. I hope, hope, hope that management is paying close attention and that changes are coming either at the trade deadline or in the off season.

Why aren't the Sabres playing with intensity now? With all the injuries, you would think the marginal and young guys would be working harder to take advantage of the situation and make an impression. It's simply not clear these guys, along with a number of others, want to put out for Lindy. Why? Only the locker room knows.

This isn't something new this season. The Sabres have rarely played with consistent intensity the last few years. To suggest it's the norm in the league is fallacious because the teams that consistently win consistently play with intensity.

Also, suggestions that not having solid goal tending of late is an excuse for the poor performance doesn't do it either. If the goalies are shaky, make up for it by playing harder.

I don't think he fires Lindy during the season but if the team quits on him the way the Caps quit on Boudreau then I think both DR and LR are canned shortly after the season ends.

And as poor as they looked last night I don't think they've quit on him to that extent.

This team regularly doesn't show up for games. This team may have not "quit" on Lindy Ruff, they certainly aren't willing to run through walls for him either.

There is a general malaise about this team that, IMO, is a direct result of retaining Status Quo. Status Quo has managed to stifle pretty much all of the excitement created by Pegula's purchase and the off-season.

Considering the Bills are in the process of a 0-9 late season run, the Sabres should own this city. Right now the two teams are pretty much on par with each other in regards to on-field product. The only difference is there is still hope that the Sabres owner cares enough to make changes.

this quote in today's write-up in TBN had me shaking my head: "I don't think you can talk about that until you get your team back," coach Lindy Ruff said. "You're looking at a line out there of [Evgeni] Malkin and [Chris] Kunitz, and I've got [Zack] Kassian, [Paul] Szczechura and Luke Adam on the ice. You're asking a lot out of the kids, and they've played hard for us. But we need some bodies back."

credit to vogl for then talking how many players the penguins are down.

i don't know what lindy thinks he is accomplishing with that sort of talk. he's probably wanting to give his guys some cover. but, to me, this doesn't sound good and it doesn't sound right. he's acknowledging that the team's body of work is lacking, and he's excusing it. that's just the wrong message, as far as i am concerned.

Archived