Lindy Ruff - on the hot seat?

SDS

I'm a loyal fan and like LIndy Ruff and think he's a good coach. With that said, however, clearly it is time for a change.

An interesting point the "longest tenured" coaches seem to have in common, Jerry Sloan, Jeff Fisher, etc, is they never seemed to win the big one. The most successful coaches, Bellijerk, Coughlin, Jackson, Bowman, etc, won in different places than they started. The Sabres need a change and I think Lindy and Darcy need a change to.

My guess is they are both gone during the summer. Clear cap space at the deadline, if possible, decide your core, let a new coaching/GM staff begin anew this summer.

I agree but I would like a new GM/coach to get a head start right away. This team is going no where and might as well start now.

Darcy and Lindy have both been here next to forever. Could have excused playoff failures of the last few years on Golisano's cheapness - but Terry came in and gave those two a blank check to build a winning team.

What happens? The team takes a nose-dive. So far the worst year of Ruff's coaching tenure with the team

But who knows? Fans in NY wanted Tom Coughlin to go in fall of 2010 - a year later, he coaches a Super Bowl win. We probably couldn't find a Giants fan now who wants to see Coughlin fired. :)

Despite the frustration of this year, I'm inclined to give Lindy another year - but get rid of Stafford and Roy, please.

Not sure why. He has had enough years. This team is going backwards. Any other team would have fired the coach or GM by now.

Decade of the '80's

387-303-110 or .484 winning percentage

Missed the playoffs twice and never made it out of the 1st round.

Saw at least 4 coaches (if you include partial coaches under Bowman) and 2 GM's.

Last 10 seasons

396-298-89 or .506 winning pecentage

Are set to miss the playoffs for the 6th time in the last 10 years.

1 coach, 1 GM.

Weave, I always like your insights, but not sure of the point you were trying to make?

Decade of the 70's

379-268-145 .479 win percentage*

7 playoff appearance with 8-7 series record, one cup final, expansion team

3GM's, 6 coaches

*like the 80's games could end in ties

Darcy and Lindy have both been here next to forever. Could have excused playoff failures of the last few years on Golisano's cheapness - but Terry came in and gave those two a blank check to build a winning team.

What happens? The team takes a nose-dive. So far the worst year of Ruff's coaching tenure with the team

But who knows? Fans in NY wanted Tom Coughlin to go in fall of 2010 - a year later, he coaches a Super Bowl win. We probably couldn't find a Giants fan now who wants to see Coughlin fired. :)

Despite the frustration of this year, I'm inclined to give Lindy another year - but get rid of Stafford and Roy, please.

Really...nah, let's give him 15 more the first 15 wasn't enough to prove he cant get it done i guess

Weave, I always like your insights, but not sure of the point you were trying to make?

Decade of the 70's

379-268-145 .479 win percentage*

7 playoff appearance with 8-7 series record, one cup final, expansion team

3GM's, 6 coaches

*like the 80's games could end in ties

I wasn't necessarily making a point other than previous decades with similar winning percentages and playoff performance saw mulitple coach and GM changes. Sometimes it is just time.

I know. Preaching to the choir.

I think after seeing what transpired in the last minute of the game yesterday, in which ruff placed Derek ###### Roy out there instead of Tyler Ennis, there is actually a coaching issue in buffalo. I mean it was evident throughout that game that Vanek and Ennis were generating chances and yet he goes with Roy who has proven repeatedly that he cant play with Vanek.

Ennis was opening up ice and making things happen. Roy was... wait did Roy play the first 3 periods?

I find his lack of faith in Ennis disturbing... as does Darth Vader.

Not me. I've seen enough of the horrible line changes, constant line shuffling, inability to get a goalie rotation that makes a shred of sense, a complete inability to run a competent powerplay, and retarded excuses year after year. Ruff has now become a large part of the problem.

Spot on with all points But "now" I substitute with "three years ago".

Do you really not believe that Lindy would find a new head coaching job in the NHL rather quickly if he were fired in Buffalo? I highly doubt you do.

I honestly do not know what the answer is to your most excellent question/ But, I would like to find out

Fire him! I don't think Sabres would have destroy the Bruins 6-0 with Ruff behind the bench.

Time to go. Fire the coach. No regret, because it can't be worse that what it is now. We have a team able to compete top 3 NHL, just a DECENT coach can do the playoff easily with that team.

Fire him! I don't think Sabres would have destroy the Bruins 6-0 with Ruff behind the bench.

Time to go. Fire the coach. No regret, because it can't be worse that what it is now. We have a team able to compete top 3 NHL, just a DECENT coach can do the playoff easily with that team.

Was English your second language?;)

Indeed, fire lindy ruff. Yawn. This team is not top three with or without lindy ruff. NY, Detroit, Boston or something similar to that is top three.

yes english is my second and this team is top 3.

Miller won a Vezina 2 years ago and Enroth proved he is one of the best goalie support in NHL. Myers should get better. Reghr and Erhoff improve the defense. This team has never been that strong in years but they perform like they are one of the worst team in NHL and that doesn't make any sense.

What is the reason Lindy Ruff is still the head coach in Buffalo? I just don't get it.

No way in hell are the Buffalo Sabres a top 3 team in the NHL. No no no no no no no. No. No.

Lindy needs to go.

Maybe the team is just hanging on to him, because there is no one out there they want. This is very possible and firing him just to have an interim coach on a team that is out of it is an insult the Pegula admin. is not willing to commit.

Bringing in a new coach during this season where the majority of players have packed it in and now have a next to zero chance of accomplishing anything, only serves to diminish the effectiveness of a new coach. The goal this year was a least the second round of the playoffs. Lindy should have been fired months ago but what does firing Ruff do now?

I want him gone as much as anyone else, and he better not be here next year (nor any of his underlings), but the person that really needs to be replaced is Darcy. Get rid of him immediately. I don't care if he is good or bad at the deadline. This team needs a new direction and they need that person in place for the draft and FA. I assume this team is selling at the deadline. If they are going to keep him for that, only let him acquire picks, no players.

Pegula should give us something else to talk about.

Don't complain about the "same damned conversation over and over" while fans have to endure the "same damned inferior product over and over."

Not complaining. Just explaining why those of us who feel that firing Lindy isn't the right answer don't repeat ourselves every time a new poster joins the thread.

yes english is my second and this team is top 3.

Miller won a Vezina 2 years ago and Enroth proved he is one of the best goalie support in NHL. Myers should get better. Reghr and Erhoff improve the defense. This team has never been that strong in years but they perform like they are one of the worst team in NHL and that doesn't make any sense.

What is the reason Lindy Ruff is still the head coach in Buffalo? I just don't get it.

Blackmail? I'm just speculating, of course....but that could also be why Derek Roy isn't playing in Rochester, too....These guys all have dirt on one another. :ph34r:

He really does put on a good presser. Those laughs he gets out of everyone are always good for 20-30% right there...

TRue. And he's always sniffed or sucked in air too before he drinks his water. You can hear it on the radio on the drive home from games.

Recent poll says only 35% say he should go. That would be about the same as any NHL coach.

So was this a scientific poll, which called a cross section of people, or the WGR poll by Jeremy "the egomaniac" White that they taint during the lead in, limit the choices, and people log on to vote? Really? You want to quote that?

So, 35% of the people in their respective cities want to see Julien, Babcock,Tortorella,Laviolette, Vigneault, and Hitchcok fired. Please cite the study. Oh, and could we hire one of them? I think all but one have actually won cups, and at least two went thru Saint Lindy.

So, 35% of the people in their respective cities want to see Julien, Babcock,Tortorella,Laviolette, Vigneault, and Hitchcok fired. Please cite the study. Oh, and could we hire one of them? I think all but one have actually won cups.

This cherry-picking is so flawed, it isn't even funny. So is your sarcastic "please cite the study." But I'll play along.

How many people in Montreal wanted Julien fired? He was, and the team hasn't won anything since. He wasn't the problem.

How many people in New Jersey wanted Julien fired? He was, and the team hasn't won anything since. He wasn't the problem.

How many people in Anaheim wanted Babcock fired? He was, and Anaheim added Getzlaf, Bertuzzi, Marchant, Selanne, Pronger and the good Niedermayer before winning the Cup. I don't think Babcock was the problem there.

Tampa has won nothing since firing Tortorella. How many people wanted him fired in Tampa?

Carolina has won nothing since firing Laviolette. How many people wanted him fired in Carolina?

Montreal has won nothing since firing Vigneault. How many people wanted him fired in Montreal?

Hitchcock never won a Cup; his team was awarded one. And none of the three teams that have fired him since have won anything since they fired him. How many people in how many different cities wanted him gone?

Some of these guys are very good coaches. Not all of them are, and none of them would be winners without great players.

Excuse me, but I read scientific literature in my profession. Not the existential books many like to quote on ‘What are your reading" thread. In my language, all NHL coaches means all NHL coaches. If she meant the average of NHL coaches, she should have said so. And where is the study? You can’t make unsubstantiated statements in my world. She was quoting the WGR log-in poll and that’s Bullshite. Sorry, nice try!

And yes throw in Marv Levy, players make the coach. So, after 15 years he doesn't know Darcy isn't giving him the players? He's not on board with Regier and the composition of this teamr? He should have some nads and quit! He's respected and can move on to a winner. So why doesn't he, if that's an option?

Excuse me, but I read scientific literature in my profession. Not the existential books many like to quote on ‘What are your reading" thread. In my language, all NHL coaches means all NHL coaches. If she meant the average of NHL coaches, she should have said so. And where is the study? You can’t make unsubstantiated statements in my world. She was quoting the WGR log-in poll and that’s Bullshite. Sorry, nice try!

And yes throw in Marv Levy, players make the coach. So, after 15 years he doesn't know Darcy isn't giving him the players. He's not on board with Regier and the composition of this teamr? He should have some nads and quit! He's respected and can move on to a winner. So why doesn't he, if that's an option?

1. It's really an overly literal reading of her comment.

2. I don't know, although I do know that he and his family really like the community here. Maybe he really wants to win as a Sabre head coach more than anything else. Would that be the worst thing in the world? To have someone who actually wants to be here? But perhaps he should move on voluntarily; he deserves better players and better fans.

Archived