The Music Thread

darksabre

This is cool, I play drums (not well), and used to be I'm a band where our drummer was a female, and she rocked! I'm not a huge DMB fan either, I mean I don't follow him.... But I have tried to play along with some of carter's stuff and the crap going on in his head its nuts, it's the timing and both hands doing something unique. Using cut 5/8 timing, weird stuff like that.

I can appreciate many drummers, but it's ones that do something unique that catch my attention.

A lot of jazz drummers really have that skill.

I know this is outta the blue, but it's a gripe and it's about music....

Carter Beauford from DMB is one of the top 5 drummers EVER. and I'm sick of rolling stones lists pampering to the classic rock drummers that weren't anything more than basic.

Ringo star, really?! Cmon, even Neil Pert was just meh

LMFAO

Neil Pert was anything but meh

Ringo was a metronome. Nothing flashy but rock solid.. I dont see him as a great either.. But Neil Pert..  that's whacked IMO

Where was Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzman on that list. I would assume ahead of Carter and Neil for their creativity alone.. Mikey especially

Mackey was listed, outside of top 20 I belive, Carter was like 77....i read in a magazine, so I don't have a link.

I do think Neil is top 10, meh was a bit of an overstatement, especially since I saw rush and Neil Rock a 30 min spinning solo.

I do think John Bonham is deservedly top 10 though

I love these "Tiny Desk" interview/concerts by NPR. They always have stuff I would never find on my own:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/533794725/holly-macve-tiny-desk-concert?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20170623

I've never gotten into new country because, well, most of it is pretty bad IMO. But I like some older stuff, and this reminds me of some old country-western. They mention Patsy Cline and I'd buy that. 

I love these "Tiny Desk" interview/concerts by NPR. They always have stuff I would never find on my own:

http://www.npr.org/event/music/533794725/holly-macve-tiny-desk-concert?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nprmusic&utm_term=music&utm_content=20170623

I've never gotten into new country because, well, most of it is pretty bad IMO. But I like some older stuff, and this reminds me of some old country-western. They mention Patsy Cline and I'd buy that.

Hmmmm I'm going to give this a listen at work tomorrow.

I know this is outta the blue, but it's a gripe and it's about music....

Carter Beauford from DMB is one of the top 5 drummers EVER. and I'm sick of rolling stones lists pampering to the classic rock drummers that weren't anything more than basic.

Ringo star, really?! Cmon, even Neil Pert was just meh

I have a perfectly rational and reasonable antipathy towards DMB, it's called: I went to college in the 90's and the delta bravos who worshiped at that altar ruined it for me.  Still get the jibblies whenever I hear them.

That being said, there is no judgement to be made in matters of taste; top however many of whatever lists are no fun and beside the point. 

"My Shadow's

shedding skin

and

I've been picking

scabs again.

I'm down

digging through

my old muscles

for a clue.

I've been crawling on my belly

clearing out what could have been.

I've been wallowing in my own confused

and insecure delusions."

I'll be catching Slayer in Raleigh one week from today for the umpteenth time. Should be some friendly violent fun. It says the show starts at 6:30 pm. I just hope the opening acts take their time so the weather cools down some before they hit the stage. I f'n hate summer.

" All that I need is the air that I breathe

And all that I need are things I don't need

And all that really matters is what matters to me

And who of you are like me?

If I was to smile and I held out my hand

If I opened it now would you not understand?

Because you know if I'm to benefit I'll do everything that I can

And who of you are like me?"

Who of you are like me and know these guys?

Hmmmm I'm going to give this a listen at work tomorrow.

I bought her album, so next time your over I'll put it on.

Saw the Arkells live in Victoria July Ist. Great show. Saw them do a pop-up concert at 2 the afternoon of the show in an intersection. That was cool

Love the Arkells.

I'm not really a country music fan, at least not in the current sense of the word.  I do like some of the older stuff, like Willie, Waylon and the boys.  Given that, when our local NPR station did a profile on Paul Cauthen, I was intrigued.  When I bought his album I was hooked.  My current favorite album.  The music mix sounds like a direct descendant of 1970s outlaw country, and at times his voice makes it sound like he's channeling Waylon Jennings.

^

Good stuff. That Amish/Mennonite beard is killing me, though.

Shifting gears: My current favourite "last hope" for the preservation and advancement of rock 'n roll is The Struts. Pretty big in England, I think. Plenty of Queen in their sound, with a healthy dash of Cheap Trick. And other stuff. They clearly want to be a big act, and their leading songs are built to RAWK stadiums. Anyway. They dropped a new song this week, and I love it.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Shifting gears: My current favourite "last hope" for the preservation and advancement of rock 'n roll is The Struts. Pretty big in England, I think. Plenty of Queen in their sound, with a healthy dash of Cheap Trick. And other stuff. They clearly want to be a big act, and their leading songs are built to RAWK stadiums. Anyway. They dropped a new song this week, and I love it.

Plenty of Queen is right.

While no one can replicate Freddie, but if I close my eyes I can quite easily picture Queen (with Freddie, of course.  The only real Queen.) in the rehearsal studio.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS