The Music Thread

darksabre

Shortly before he left this world he posted this to facebook and it may be why his wife asked a friend to go check on him ?

I am the shape of the black hole in your heart

Apparently he played parts of 'In my time of dying' as the encore the night he took his life.

In my time of dying

I want nobody to mourn

all I want for you to do

is take my body home

I loved that mans voice. R.I.P.

So sad. Read somewhere that he had gone back onstage after the concert and just played on his own awhile. 

Someone put a security detail on Eddie Vedder, stat. Keep an eye on Grohl, too. 

Cobain - suicide

Staley - overdose

Weiland - overdose

Cornell - suicide

Vedder wins by default.

And Dave Grohl can't die.  I won't let it happen.

Edited by We've

Apparently from his wife and lawyer this morning the reason she asked a friend to check on Chris was when she talked to him he was slurring his words badly and had told her he may have taken a few too many adivan( spelling? ) from his prescription he carried. Sad to think that something impulsive and so final may have been undertaken from an unsound mind clouded by pills. We'll never know. Family is asking that people wait for the toxicology reports. Not that that will change the outcome but she felt he was in a good place in his life and wouldn't have ended it like he did leaving his 2 small children.  

Edited by bunomatic

Tell you what, that man's music described where I was at when I went through a pretty dark period of my life. Misery loved company, and it was good company.

Find your peace Mr. Cornell.

Amen to that.

I've been turning it over in my head: I admired and respected the hell out of his work - and enjoyed it as well. And, while he wasn't among my very favourite vocalists (taste - so subjective), I think I don't care to argue with the contention that he was, if only technically speaking, the greatest rock vocalist of all-time. 

Apparently from his wife and lawyer this morning the reason she asked a friend to check on Chris was when she talked to him he was slurring his words badly and had told her he may have taken a few too many adiral ( spelling? ) from his prescription he carried. Sad to think that something impulsive and so final may have been undertaken from an unsound mind clouded by pills. We'll never know. Family is asking that people wait for the toxicology reports. Not that that will change the outcome but she felt he was in a good place in his life and wouldn't have ended it like he did leaving his 2 small children.  

Jesus - somehow an even sadder story, seeing this.

Apparently from his wife and lawyer this morning the reason she asked a friend to check on Chris was when she talked to him he was slurring his words badly and had told her he may have taken a few too many adiral ( spelling? ) from his prescription he carried. Sad to think that something impulsive and so final may have been undertaken from an unsound mind clouded by pills. We'll never know. Family is asking that people wait for the toxicology reports. Not that that will change the outcome but she felt he was in a good place in his life and wouldn't have ended it like he did leaving his 2 small children.  

So sad...

One small mistake and the demons rushed in.

https://youtu.be/6yIvVuzNe8E

I will never confuse his sound with any other. One of my favorites. RIP

Shortly before he left this world he posted this to facebook and it may be why his wife asked a friend to go check on him ?

I am the shape of the black hole in your heart

Apparently he played parts of 'In my time of dying' as the encore the night he took his life.

In my time of dying

I want nobody to mourn

all I want for you to do

is take my body home

I loved that mans voice. R.I.P.

They've been playing that at each show apparently. So that's just a coincidence.

So yesterday as well was driving home, a radio station played black hole sun and then followed it up with fear the reaper. I really hope that was just random and not some stupid joke.

"So now I'll take a little glue

I'll put together a new glittered room for you

So I can start sitting so pretty

Instead of sitting here

Not seeing clear

Just sitting here

Not fitting here"

(No. Not things they couldn't hear!)

Edited by iTInSn

• 2 weeks later...

"It's takes a pretty little gal

and a jug of wine.

That's what it takes

to make a honky tonk mind

with the juke box a moanin

a honky tonk sound.

That's when I want to lay my money down!

Cuz I'm a honky tonk man

and I can't seem to stop."

• 2 weeks later...

Woke up today wanting to listen to some Woody Guthrie, so I fired up my Amazon Prime app and plugged in.

I selected the Library of Congress recordings album because I assumed it would just be a really good best of. Boy was I wrong.

I should have realized it would be an Alan Lomax product. For those not familiar, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Lomax

This recording is just tremendous. I should say recordings because it's done in several sessions with Woody. I would say it's 50% Woody and Alan talking, 50% music.

I feel like this is something everyone should own. I'm not kidding when I say that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Congress_Recordings

Woke up today wanting to listen to some Woody Guthrie, so I fired up my Amazon Prime app and plugged in.

I selected the Library of Congress recordings album because I assumed it would just be a really good best of. Boy was I wrong.

I should have realized it would be an Alan Lomax product. For those not familiar, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Lomax

This recording is just tremendous. I should say recordings because it's done in several sessions with Woody. I would say it's 50% Woody and Alan talking, 50% music.

I feel like this is something everyone should own. I'm not kidding when I say that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Congress_Recordings

If you listen to podcasts, check out this week's "The Way I Heard it" by Mike Rowe...episode 61 "When the World's on Fire". Of course I've given it away that it's about Woody Guthrie, but I think you'd still enjoy it. 

"I know what winter's about

Too many nights

Not enough days.

I watched the birds fly south

and no, I don't wait.

Last words out of my mouth?

"Stay out of my way."

And

"I'm in a wrong place.

Maybe it's the things we don't say?"

Two music related awesome events:

• I bought all the CDs from Asteroids Galaxy Tour. It's been in my head for months, and Pandora/Google/etc. songs here and there just wouldn't cut it. For those questioning CDs, used CDs via Amazon cost less than buying digital copies and I can import into new formats in the future if I need to. I picked up three for <$25. The CDs, BTW, were pristine. I think a lot of people buy, rip, and resell.
  • Need to rip a few CDs finally motivated me to really come to terms with my CDs. I never systematically imported them, so they've languished in my basement and MP3s here and there on various drives. I'm doing them all again with an eye to probably get rid of many that I won't really need in the future. My process has been to use iTunes AAC at 160 kbit (I've deluded myself to thinking I need "better" quality than most people even though I don't have the ears or hifi equipment to hear the difference) set to automatically import whenever a CD is inserted. Google Play Music is "watching" my iTunes folder so any new music that shows up get automatically uploaded to Google Play. From there, my phone and computer have all my music. It's bringing back a ton of nostalgia and love for me.

I know this is outta the blue, but it's a gripe and it's about music....

Carter Beauford from DMB is one of the top 5 drummers EVER. and I'm sick of rolling stones lists pampering to the classic rock drummers that weren't anything more than basic.

Ringo star, really?! Cmon, even Neil Pert was just meh

starts at about 1min mark

not my taste, BUT i really appreciate people like you posting new stuff here. helps keep me current on some stuff i would not otherwise know about.

I know this is outta the blue, but it's a gripe and it's about music....

Carter Beauford from DMB is one of the top 5 drummers EVER. and I'm sick of rolling stones lists pampering to the classic rock drummers that weren't anything more than basic.

Ringo star, really?! Cmon, even Neil Pert was just meh

Haaaahahahaha. I have such an irrational antipathy for DMB that I can't help but have a chuckle over a DMB fan being pissed that Neil Pert is wrongly ranked ahead of the DMB skins-beater.

Speaking of drummers. TIL that there's a whole sub-universe of YouTubers who are women (or merely girl) drummers who record drum covers of well-known songs to the delight of 100s of thousands of viewers. Here's the one that popped for me (apparently because I'd been digging around in a prog rock back catalog):

There are dozens of YouTubers like her. So strange. And also pretty cool. And maybe a little weird.

Two music related awesome events:

• I bought all the CDs from Asteroids Galaxy Tour. It's been in my head for months, and Pandora/Google/etc. songs here and there just wouldn't cut it. For those questioning CDs, used CDs via Amazon cost less than buying digital copies and I can import into new formats in the future if I need to. I picked up three for <$25. The CDs, BTW, were pristine. I think a lot of people buy, rip, and resell.
  • Need to rip a few CDs finally motivated me to really come to terms with my CDs. I never systematically imported them, so they've languished in my basement and MP3s here and there on various drives. I'm doing them all again with an eye to probably get rid of many that I won't really need in the future. My process has been to use iTunes AAC at 160 kbit (I've deluded myself to thinking I need "better" quality than most people even though I don't have the ears or hifi equipment to hear the difference) set to automatically import whenever a CD is inserted. Google Play Music is "watching" my iTunes folder so any new music that shows up get automatically uploaded to Google Play. From there, my phone and computer have all my music. It's bringing back a ton of nostalgia and love for me.

YESSSSS

large.gif