The Music Thread

darksabre

I'm not really a country music fan, at least not in the current sense of the word.  I do like some of the older stuff, like Willie, Waylon and the boys.  Given that, when our local NPR station did a profile on Paul Cauthen, I was intrigued.  When I bought his album I was hooked.  My current favorite album.  The music mix sounds like a direct descendant of 1970s outlaw country, and at times his voice makes it sound like he's channeling Waylon Jennings.

Between this, the girl I posted about above, and Jason Isbell who I've just started giving a try, I'm hoping for a country music rebirth where I can actually like it. Old Country/Country-Western has a lot of connections to folk and blues that I already listen to and enjoy. The pop-country of the last 20 years rarely does much for me.

Speaking of which, the Jeff Bridges movie 'Crazy Heart' that came out a handful of years ago was great. Here's him playing the main song:

Edited by sabills

^

Good stuff. That Amish/Mennonite beard is killing me, though.

Shifting gears: My current favourite "last hope" for the preservation and advancement of rock 'n roll is The Struts. Pretty big in England, I think. Plenty of Queen in their sound, with a healthy dash of Cheap Trick. And other stuff. They clearly want to be a big act, and their leading songs are built to RAWK stadiums. Anyway. They dropped a new song this week, and I love it.

I just now listened.   It's okay, but kind of disappointing in that it keeps promising Queen without quite delivering.  Maybe I need to check out some of their other stuff to develop a taste of who they really are.

Speaking of country, I stumbled across these guys on Amazon the other day. Not sure what to even call them. Country meets Arcade Fire meets ELO meets Jazz? 

Wow, what a nice full musical palette you've got there.  I could listen to their jam all night. I need moar.

Marfa, Texas, eh? Seems like an interesting place.

It's a small town in southwest Texas, not too far from the Mexican border (not quite a border town).  They are notable for two things:  The Marfa Lights, an unexplained phenomenon where mysterious lights are seen on the outskirts of town.  Investigators attribute them to car headlights out on the highway, distorted/reflected by a temperature inversion (i.e., a mirage), but they were first sighted in the 19th century. 

The other thing they're known for is they have a thriving artist community, enough to become a tourist destination.  A friend of mine moved out there.  For a while he worked for a resort (in some sense of the word) that consisted of a hotel with guest rooms, and also guest tepees- you can actually stay in the tepees out there.

Really, just a weird quirky little town with some mysterious lights.

I just now listened. It's okay, but kind of disappointing in that it keeps promising Queen without quite delivering. Maybe I need to check out some of their other stuff to develop a taste of who they really are.

They've got a bit more bubble gum pop than Queen, so you're bound to be disappointed if you're looking for something on that level. And they're a somewhat situational listen, I guess. Just a ton of fun, to my ears.

"Sitting on the back of my time

fishing through the city phone lines.

Certainly flirtingly, til my back's out of line.

Who today will be knocked off?

Who controls all the chalked off?

Will they let you see?

Will you believe?"

Edited by iTInSn

They've got a bit more bubble gum pop than Queen, so you're bound to be disappointed if you're looking for something on that level. And they're a somewhat situational listen, I guess. Just a ton of fun, to my ears.

Agreed.  I guess I got my hopes up from the description.

Speaking of country, I stumbled across these guys on Amazon the other day. Not sure what to even call them. Country meets Arcade Fire meets ELO meets Jazz? 

Alternate caption of the picture in the video preview: Parallel Universe Ryan Miller and Danny Briere Band. Am I the only one that sees that?

It's a small town in southwest Texas, not too far from the Mexican border (not quite a border town).  They are notable for two things:  The Marfa Lights, an unexplained phenomenon where mysterious lights are seen on the outskirts of town.  Investigators attribute them to car headlights out on the highway, distorted/reflected by a temperature inversion (i.e., a mirage), but they were first sighted in the 19th century. 

The other thing they're known for is they have a thriving artist community, enough to become a tourist destination.  A friend of mine moved out there.  For a while he worked for a resort (in some sense of the word) that consisted of a hotel with guest rooms, and also guest tepees- you can actually stay in the tepees out there.

Really, just a weird quirky little town with some mysterious lights.

I'm envisioning Bisbee, AZ, if anyone has been there.

You I like.

Sorry for your troubles as described your recent Complaint thread entries.

Meh. I'm not sad about it, really. I'll enjoy toying with her counsel at any rate. Musical interlude:

I'm envisioning Bisbee, AZ, if anyone has been there.

Home of Doug Stanhope. Yes, please.