The Music Thread

darksabre

Mr. Smell,

I am not sure what happened, but it appears that SDS's updates and upgrades may have had an impact on the linked YouTube videos posted in here.

Scrolling up they all appear to be gone, but I only went up this page.

That said, it looks like Neo has figured out the secret.

EDIT TO ADD:

It looks as if the move to https has made it a requirement in posting video links, while earlier the 's' needed to be removed when linking videos. Proof is that I edited my 'Brass In Pocket' link and it works ... see above.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Mr. Smell,

I am not sure what happened, but it appears that SDS's updates and upgrades may have had an impact on the linked YouTube videos posted in here.

Scrolling up they all appear to be gone, but I only went up this page.

That said, it looks like Neo has figured out the secret.

EDIT TO ADD:

It looks as if the move to https has made it a requirement in posting video links, while earlier the 's' needed to be removed when linking videos. Proof is that I edited my 'Brass In Pocket' link and it works ... see above.

I see that now. Gotcha.

What was good?

Very good..Avett Brothers, Wilco and Bon Giver to name a few

Are YouTube vids dropping out? I can't see 'em.

This post confuses me no end. Did I post that the Avett Brothers were good at Newport? Because I am sure they were, but I wasn't there.

In any case, here's a great cover the Avetts have been doing since Cornell passed away and that they performed at Newport:

I'm gonna ramble a bit right now, but I've been obsessing over a song this past week and it's had a sort of...existential effect on me. 

Lana Del Rey, a gal a couple of years my senior, has a new album out called Lust for Life. If you know her stuff you know she's a sort of melancholy crooner with a taste for the vintage. Her stuff is downtempo and a lot of times it focuses on youth. This album from beginning to end is just absolutely excellent. Her best to date. I can't stop listening to it. But the lead track, Love, and its accompanying video hit me right in the soul. 

Perhaps it's that she and I are close in age so maybe we have some shared experiences from our teenage years, but she absolutely nails the certain je ne sai quois of the experience that is being a teenager cruising around in a big ol' American car. My first car was my family's 1990 Caprice. My whole life I wanted it to be my first car. It was and I loved it enough that I have the VIN tattooed on my arm. You can car fax me. 

So we've got this song about kids "going nowhere in particular" in these cars from the 50's and 60's, channeling a vintage era they never lived in. That's what I was doing when I was a teenager, buying old vinyl from thrifts stores (before that was a hip thing to do), bombing around in my old land yacht, one of the last of a nearly extinct breed. 

There's a line, "vintage music comin through satellites while cruisin", which to me is a shot at these kids. They're acting all retro in their old cars but they're still plugged in to the present with their smart phones. Were Lana (and me) the last kids who had to do things analog? We were barely legit when we were plugging CD players into the tape deck with those stupid adapters, but kids now are even less legit. 

But god bless them. They're trying to remember a time when cars weren't all infotainment screens, and bucket seats, and big annoying consoles full of cup holders that keep our love interest so far away from us even though they're right in the next seat over. Cake has a song about that called Stick Shifts and Safety Belts. It's good. 

This song though. It's like a guiding light telling me not to forget who I am. I'm still just a kid inside who misses cruising around in a big old car, listening to the radio, talking about whatever, and going nowhere in particular. 

Edited by d4rksabre

I've been thinking about making a battle jacket to wear to shows and put band patches on because I never have good luck with the shirts bands sell at shows. They're always cheap and shrink weird or fall apart.

So I wonder what bands other people here would put on their battle jacket? If you don't know what that is, look it up.

No restrictions on genres either. It doesn't have to be metal or punk. But you have to be a big enough fan of the band to prove it if someone were to call you out on your fanhood ;)

note! You don't have to have seen the bands play. In some cases that would be impossible, right? 

Let's see your battle jacket lists.

edit: 

I'm going to add stuff and keep updating when I come up with more. 

Gogol Bordello

Flogging Molly

Reverend Horton Heat

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band

System of a Down

Rammstein

Alice Cooper

Streetlight Manifesto

Reel Big Fish

Aquabats

Rob Zombie/White Zombie

The Prodigy

Scorpions

DIO

Seasick Steve
Metallica (reluctantly, but I can't deny them a place)

Ozomatli 

Edited by d4rksabre

I've been thinking about making a battle jacket to wear to shows and put band patches on because I never have good luck with the shirts bands sell at shows. They're always cheap and shrink weird or fall apart.

So I wonder what bands other people here would put on their battle jacket? If you don't know what that is, look it up.

No restrictions on genres either. It doesn't have to be metal or punk. But you have to be a big enough fan of the band to prove it if someone were to call you out on your fanhood ;)

Man, I'd love it if you got a Ke$ha patch for your battle jacket. 

I'm not sure if they had patches but I remember Richard Cheese selling shirts that said I heart Dick Cheese. If they sell patches you should get one of those.