The Music Thread

darksabre

I wish I would have gotten to see blind melon live.

I was never into them when Shannon was alive. Long story short I spent 7 yrs raising my crazy girlfriends daughter. We were tight. goes down to the point I have to eliminate the mother from my house(along with the wonderful little one). Losing that little darling broke my heart and Shannon (and the song Change) posthumously saved me from disaster. Every member of that band was elite IMO. Maybe they just worked together just right?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so disappointed that we've lost Chris. His voice is one of those things that takes me back to being a kid. I can remember spending summer days in our old canvas camping tent in the back yard with my first radio listening to PUSA, Smashing Pumpkins, Bush, and of course Soundgarden.

In my high school and college years I really enjoyed his work with Audioslave. Audioslave and Out of Exile got a lot of play on the old car stereo. I remember that the first album, at 65 minutes and 25 seconds long, was the exact right length for my drive from RIT to my parents house. I probably listened to it every time I made that drive during 2005-2007, well after it had been out for years. 

RIP Chris. 

I'm bummed by this one.  It seems like he's been posting a lot of social media stuff in recent years related to his daughter.  He seemed like a big family man at this stage of his life.  I've got Superunknown waiting for me in the car for the drive home later today.

I'm glad I got the chance to see them live right after they got back together 5 or 6 years ago (and also a solo Cornell show a couple years earlier).  They broke up right around my sophomore year of high school and I wasn't yet into the concert experience at that point.

Depression is such a cruel, debilitating, and elusive monster.

I was close with someone who took their own life. I once had a conversation with him about it, while he was in-patient after a failed attempt. It was so awful, and yet also so ... fascinating (not the right word - sorry) to hear this brilliant, beautiful, creative person talk soberly about how his mind and life were regularly POSSESSED by an irrepressible, all-consuming desire to leave this life.