The Music Thread

darksabre

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man, I havent thought about Big Audio Dynamite in ages. Cool.

The album that is from, the bands 2nd that was released in 1986, was co-produced by Jones and Joe Strummer.

That dynamic song writing due re-united to work on that album, after the ultimate demise of The Clash (officially in 1985, but really 2 years earlier when Topper 'retired' due to heroin addiction ... he finally kicked the habit years later ... and the firing of Jones by Strummer and Simonon) and wrote V Thirteen together. Some though that this was an indication of a reunion, but it never happened.

If you read Chris Salewicz's biography of Joe Strummer the reunion was never going to officially happen. Joe and Mick took the stage together, ironically enough, the weekend before Joe died and killed it on London Calling and I forget the other song. Beautiful, followef by tragedy.

If you read Chris Salewicz's biography of Joe Strummer the reunion was never going to officially happen. Joe and Mick took the stage together, ironically enough, the weekend before Joe died and killed it on London Calling and I forget the other song. Beautiful, followef by tragedy.

Yup.

I remember that concert (?) ... played many of the old goodies ... White Riot and London's Burning, IIRC.  Maybe even White Man in Hammersmith Palais (got my signature line from that one).

The video evidence ...

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

• 2 weeks later...

NS, have you read Chris Salewicz's Strummer biography "Redemption Song"?  I'm willing to bet you have, but if not, it's actually really good. 

I am somewhat ashamed to say that I have not.  I hope to read it one day.  I do watch a lot of documentaries though.  Some are good, but I am not sure how accurate they are.

I have had the pleasure of seeing Joe (both with and after The Clash) perform live and I have fond memories of an amazing talent on stage and don't want that memory tarnished by reading to many takes on Joe's story.  For me he told his own story in his songs.

I am somewhat ashamed to say that I have not.  I hope to read it one day.  I do watch a lot of documentaries though.  Some are good, but I am not sure how accurate they are.

I have had the pleasure of seeing Joe (both with and after The Clash) perform live and I have fond memories of an amazing talent on stage and don't want that memory tarnished by reading to many takes on Joe's story.  For me he told his own story in his songs.

It's definitely worth the read.  CS was pretty much embedded with Joe from very early on, and Joe's words make up a large portion of the text. 

It'll make you cry towards the end though, when it gets to the night he and Mick reunited onstage right before he died.  It made me cry, anyway. 

This song keeps running through my head today. Can't really figure out why.

It's because your taste in music is objectively correct.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Man, if Metallica had a better drummer, it'd be tough to find a band I'd like more

Edited by Randall Flagg

• 2 weeks later...