The Music Thread

darksabre

I've kind of been cultivating a pin/patch battle jacket base for years. I'd only wear a battle jacket to ... battley-moshy shows, though, so my softer tastes wouldn't land a spot on it. This would be my combat boots and leather miniskirt group of choices. 

in no particular order:

Mastodon

Rammstein

Gogol Bordello 

Motorhead

Bowie 

Slayer

Rob Zombie

Skeletonwitch

Electric Wizard

Bathory

Gojira 

Die Antwoord

Ministry

The Cure 

The Cramps

Combichrist

Nine Inch Nails

Melvins

The Prodigy 

Alice in Chains

The Clash

But you have to be a big enough fan of the band to prove it if someone were to call you out on your fanhood ;)

I see that winkie emoji, so I know this isn't really what was intended, but seeing it reminded me of an ongoing conversation I've had with some friends about how I find the intensity with which certain bands/artists are followed to be a barrier to entry to going to shows. In the past, I've begged off of The Hip, Bruce, among others for that reason. Stupidly, I might add. But there it is.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I see that winkie emoji, so I know this isn't really what was intended, but seeing it reminded me of an ongoing conversation I've had with some friends about how I find the intensity with which certain bands/artists are followed to be a barrier to entry to going to shows. In the past, I've begged off of The Hip, Bruce, among others for that reason. Stupidly, I might add. But there it is.

I understand that. You A) don't want to take a seat from someone who loooooves them and B) don't want to get called out for not being a superfan. 

I think you should get over it though and go see good music whenever the opportunity arises. Maybe you'll leave a show a bigger fan than when you went in. 

I understand this. When I was younger and first going to shows, my knowledge and ability to not be a "poser" was just as big a barrier as my age. What resulted was a bunch of neurotic, annoying, young idiot fans like me who could recite Band Facts like a walking Wikipedia page, all afraid to like the "wrong" bands. If someone digs even just one album by a band and would pay money to see their show, I consider them a fan. I've mentioned it before, but especially with metal/punk, there's a crapton of ridiculous gatekeeping. You don't need to be an obsessed superfan to earn your enjoyment! 

Just have fun. If people have an issue, they're clearly more about their own egos than sharing the joy of the music you're all there to see. 

Not particularly ordered:

Moxy Fruvous (something like 22 shows! My picture is in the liner notes! drove all over the Northeast to see!)

Gogol Bordello

Flogging Molly

Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band  (thanks for typing these in so I can cut'n'paste, d4rk!)

KMFDM

Metallica

And One (maybe, I just happen to be listening to them right now, Ich bin der pimmelmann)

Asteroids Galaxy Tour (I listen a lot lately)

Bouncing Souls

Chemical Brothers

All Girl Summer Fun Band

Edited by MattPie

I dig it.

And July/August in NOLA. Lord. It's hard to breathe out there.

The humidity is crazy. Has rained every day except one since I moved to New Orleans in early July.

I picked this city, in part, because of the unique music scene. No other US city has stuff like this... (Google "second line" if you are unfamiliar)

I am grateful that I never knew band fandom shaming to be a thing. I have seen more bands that I can count that I knew nothing about.

I love the battle jacket Idea.

Zappa

Rush

Animals as Leaders

King Crimson

Weather Report

Bjork

Alan Holdsworth

Meshuggah

Steven Wilson

Krewella

Opeth

Kate Bush

Miles

Green Day

Run the Jewels

Tigran Hamasyam

Pat Methany

Snarky Puppy

LCD Soundsystem

Jacket, eh. That would cramp my wife beater/awesomely torn jeans from 11th grade look that I wear to every show.

:w00t:

+++++

Do we need a long list?

Well, I don't.

The Clash front to back and side to side, with little Queen shoulder patches on each side.

:flirt:

Joe was a poet, IMO, so I really like this cover of a great song by another great poet ... Bob Marley.

The one small issue I have with Joe was in 1980 (or there about) he had his teeth fixed.  By then the punk scene had pretty much morphed into new wave and Joe went along with it in a great way.

Went down a 90s 00s rabbit hole today. I don't care what anyone says, the goo goo dolls first 7 albums right up to gutterflower in 02 were damn good. Even Let Love In in 06 adheres to the 3 song rule. Better Days and it's ilk really dragged that band down. I was at the 4th of July show in front of city hall in 04 and they put on a hell of a show.

Late to the party, but the1st 5 Goo albums were awesome. After George left the band went downhill. (Though Better Days iS awesome for the memories it brings. )

Gotta rep the Goo Goo dolls being from buffalo and all, and their early stuff from superstar car wash until Johnny R did stupid Disney stuff, was legit.

Just sucks now

Superstar Carwash was an EPIC album.

We are the Normal ...

All my 16 year old boy fantasies involved Chrissie Hynde ...

Hey,

Where is my *Brass In Pocket* video?

One of the best female vocalist songs ever.

Still not sure what the fook "new skank" is suposed to be. But at least it is "so reet," so it has that going for it, which is nice. ;)

I recently bought an amazon echo and finally signed up for prime.  I've been using that to listen to a ton of music while I'm around the house, using just the basic music package that is included with prime.  I figured that service would have just about everything you need in their library.  It took a little while, but I finally found a massive gap in their library... no zeppelin