Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Speaking of multi use paths, this is a really minor complaint but something I was thinking of recently..

I grew up in Western NY and live here now, but I spent a good number of years living in Boston or near it on Cape Cod.  Cape cod especially has miles and miles and miles of bike trails I used quite a bit when I lived there. Not only are they safer to ride than on the roads, some of them actually go someplace (a Bike trail came right into my community and I could ride it a few miles to get to a shopping plaza without ever driving alongside a road.)

Anyway, what I grew used to there was whenever someone would be going faster than you and pass you, or whenever someone was walking and a jogger or a bike rider would pass them, they would almost always say "On your left" a few seconds before they passed you so there was no surprise.  That is something that very rarely happens here. On a trail, on a sidewalk, anywhere, when someone traveling faster than I am (whether on a bike, running, etc) passes me here, usually it is a surprise if you don't see them coming, and several times you almost run into each other.   In general, people using bike trails/multi use trails when I lived on Cape Cod or near Boston where much more courteous and safer than they are here.

Yeah, On Your Left is pretty common around here too.  I don't usually do that myself; I typically use a bell on my bike.  My experience is that for someone unfamiliar with the practice, when they hear someone behind them say "On your left!" they often turn around to the left to look and a lot of time end up leaning/moving toward the left, which is the opposite of what I want.  If I ring the bell they know someone is back and they hold their line (generally).  But if there's any doubt I will say "On your left!"

21 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Sonne Sunburn GIF by Mitteldeutscher Rundfunk

I know that's only a gif but.... ouch!

58 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I hate my job/career, but love the lifestyle it lets me live. 

An eternal, internal conondrum. 

Some days it's worth it, some days I wonder wtf I'm doing. 

Had this thread been open the entirety of Thursday would've had a pretty good rant about ERs and lack of communication therein and how it could turn a 2 hour stay prior to hospital admittance into a nearly 6 hour stay prior to it.  But am too tired from only 3 hours of sleep to bother.  So, guess that's the complaint - too tired to complain.

I'm finally off for 2 days. Thank Christ! I just worked the last 7 in a row, because I did a favor for a colleague. It was supposed to be 8 in a row, but he decided that he didn't need last Wednesday off so I took it. 

No one has suffered more than me!

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Had this thread been open the entirety of Thursday would've had a pretty good rant about ERs and lack of communication therein and how it could turn a 2 hour stay prior to hospital admittance into a nearly 6 hour stay prior to it.  But am too tired from only 3 hours of sleep to bother.  So, guess that's the complaint - too tired to complain.

Short staffing is a big issue in all realms of the world right now, but having 2 nurses doing the job of 8 is probably a big part of it and is very unsafe. 

The malpractice attorneys are licking their chops right now because a mistake is a mistake irregardless of the deplorable conditions we are working in. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Kids peeing in the pool 

..... Adults peeing in the pool 

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Short staffing is a big issue in all realms of the world right now, but having 2 nurses doing the job of 8 is probably a big part of it and is very unsafe. 

The malpractice attorneys are licking their chops right now because a mistake is a mistake irregardless of the deplorable conditions we are working in. 

..... Adults peeing in the pool 

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Speaking of multi use paths, this is a really minor complaint but something I was thinking of recently..

I grew up in Western NY and live here now, but I spent a good number of years living in Boston or near it on Cape Cod.  Cape cod especially has miles and miles and miles of bike trails I used quite a bit when I lived there. Not only are they safer to ride than on the roads, some of them actually go someplace (a Bike trail came right into my community and I could ride it a few miles to get to a shopping plaza without ever driving alongside a road.)

Anyway, what I grew used to there was whenever someone would be going faster than you and pass you, or whenever someone was walking and a jogger or a bike rider would pass them, they would almost always say "On your left" a few seconds before they passed you so there was no surprise.  That is something that very rarely happens here. On a trail, on a sidewalk, anywhere, when someone traveling faster than I am (whether on a bike, running, etc) passes me here, usually it is a surprise if you don't see them coming, and several times you almost run into each other.   In general, people using bike trails/multi use trails when I lived on Cape Cod or near Boston where much more courteous and safer than they are here.

To be honest, the City of Good Neighbors tends to be far more aggressive and rude than other places I've lived. Especially about trail/bike stuff, but just in general too. I've lived in two pretty bike friendly areas (Southeast PA and Ithaca) though, I'm sure it's much worse than Buffalo other places.

Side trail note: rode the Island Line in Burlington VT over the weekend. Fantastic trail, and local people were really awesome. The only tough part was on the way back when the less-trail-experienced tourists were wandering all over the place.

Causeway_Aerial.jpg?1463188297

Edited by MattPie

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

To be honest, the City of Good Neighbors tends to be far more aggressive and rude than other places I've lived. Especially about trail/bike stuff, but just in general too. I've lived in two pretty bike friendly areas (Southeast PA and Ithaca) though, I'm sure it's much worse than Buffalo other places.

Side trail note: rode the Island Line in Burlington VT over the weekend. Fantastic trail, and local people were really awesome. The only tough part was on the way back when the less-trail-experienced tourists were wandering all over the place.

Causeway_Aerial.jpg?1463188297

I have never tried any of the Trails up in Vermont, although we do travel there once every couple of years, and I used to go there monthly when I lived in New England.

Maybe another minor complaint about WNY is the potential for more/better bike trials. They are finally trying to link everything together, but why would you NOT have a full trail, un-interupted, between Niagara Falls state park and Youngstown, NY (Fort Niagara) where the River meets Lake Ontario?  A 10-15 mile trail between those 2 areas along the river/gorge has the potential to be one of the best in the country, especially if there was a way to extend it a little farther along the lakeshore.

But, to my knowledge (at least as of a couple years ago), not finished:

-While they are removing the old Robert Moses parkway northbound from the Falls, a lot of work needed to be done and the trail wasn't finished

-Once you get north of Devils hole state park near the power plant, the 'trail' was crumbling concrete between 2 concrete walls as you crossed the power plant.  That needed to be cleaned up quite a bit.

-Approaching Lewiston, they were putting in a trail down the hill but not sure if it is done yet.

-Lewiston itself, you have to go down Center street and it has no bike lanes and the drivers there can be pretty aggressive for a 'main st, USA' type place.

Finally, and this one really really is my complaint, when you get close to Youngstown, there was no sidewalk on River road, but instead the paved trail is there.  HOWEVER, some residents of Youngstown didn't like too many people using the 'trail', so they have Signs up ALONG THE PAVED TRAIL that bicycles were not allowed.  Google maps shows this is a bike trail, it is a paved trail, yet they had signs up saying no bicycles.

Lots of areas have great trails. As I said living right next to the Cape Cod rail trail, you can ride for miles and miles on it...Bridges built to go over highways just for the trail...tunnels for the trail to go under some roads. Access to snack shops, plazas, and even beaches right off the trail. Signs that alert trail users to where to find refreshments and restrooms.  We have so much potential in WNY to do those things, but yet WNY is so far behind.

Took the pooch for a walk along the lake front.  We were walking on a public dock and she rather suddenly decided she wanted to swim. Problem is, it was about the weediest, algaeist water you can imagine.

She stinks.  Bad.  Smells like a swamp.  And she is happy as a clam about it.

My dryer, my fridge, and my HVAC unit all broke this week. Fixed the first two, last one needs replaced.

My sister's dryer also broke. My brother in law is in Saudi Arabia for the next couple weeks for work. My niece has quite a few special needs and my sister doesn't need to be messing around with figuring out wash with my BIL away so I am now at her house 2.5 hours away trying to repair her dryer. It's 20 years old and the model number is worn off which is making replacement part ID less than fun.

Normally, my sister would just drive to my parents house, and TBH so would I with the AC issue. They both have COVID so that's not an option.

It's been a special week so far.

One of my dogs has gone and decided to be epileptic. Gotta pick up the seizure meds tomorrow. He had his first seizure 2 years ago after getting into the tulips in the garden. Then he had another one exactly one year later and I dug up all the bulbs. I figured it had to be environmental. Then he had 2 on Tuesday night and one of them lasted for over 4 minutes. NOT environmental! Blood work showed nothing out of the ordinary. A completely healthy dog. Turns out they can just develop epilepsy out of nowhere. 

• Sad 1

My youngest uncle just passed away yesterday only 69 ,  was found on floor.  His lungs didn't give enough oxygen anymore and his heart stopped.   They kept him alive for 3 days but there was no brain activity anymore.

Had a bad bronchitis a year ago, but apparently didn't treat it so well and was using a puffer ever since.   Worst part is that I'm in covid quarantine and couldn't even be there for my cousins and family and say goodbye to him. 😞

• Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

My youngest uncle just passed away yesterday only 69 ,  was found on floor.  His lungs didn't give enough oxygen anymore and his heart stopped.   They kept him alive for 3 days but there was no brain activity anymore.

Had a bad bronchitis a year ago, but apparently didn't treat it so well and was using a puffer ever since.   Worst part is that I'm in covid quarantine and couldn't even be there for my cousins and family and say goodbye to him. 😞

You & your family have my sincere condolences.  

Hope you get over covid quickly.

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Sorry for your loss.

• Like (+1) 1

Back to my rant a couple weeks ago about double doors.  This morning I'm walking into the gas station.  This guy about to walk out has his hand on the correct door about to open it.  He sees that I'm opening mine, so he stops, moves over and practically plants his face into my door waiting.  With the most smug look I've ever seen (we're talking Bryan Smolinski smug), he says "appreciate it" as he's blocking my entrance.  He wasn't so happy when I asked him "you know there are two doors, right?".

The person you know (in my case a few relatives and friends) who live in Arizona, or Texas, or Florida, that absolutely cannot comprehend that we choose to live in a place where the temperature gets cold in the winter, and no matter what you say they like to talk down to you about where you live, feeling 'sorry' for you and talking about how much of a paradise they live in.

New flash for you, some of us actually prefer it here.  I personally love light jacket weather, those 45-55 degree days in the spring and fall are my favorite days to take a walk outside or do anything outside.  And outside of that, I would PREFER to spend 3 months of very cold weather where you have to run from a heated house to a heated car and dread being outside in the wind-chill...rather than 5-6 months of unbearable heat where you have to run from air conditioned house to an air conditioned car and dread being outside in the oppressive heat (I did that, I lived in Florida 2 times for a total of 4+ years).

We were visiting relatives in FL a couple months ago, and a member of my wife's family who lives there non stop talks about how much he loves it, how much better it is than when he lived in NY city, and he dropped this gem on us (without being asked of course):  "The only thing that is bothering me is too many people from NY are moving down here to my neighborhood and they are starting to spoil my paradise"   I told my wife it sounds like someone regrets his decision to move there and is doing whatever he can to convince himself its not as bad as it seems to him.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2