Sabres trade for Defenseman Riley Stillman in exchange for Josh Bloom

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Needs waiversĀ 

Fantastic - makes 0 sense unless heā€™s being sent on to another team in a bigger trade.

Vancouver fans are actually upset heā€™s been traded cuz 16 mins less of him per game means less of a chance for 1st overall pick.

im going to trust our scouts and KA but from the surface this makes no sense?? Now theyā€™ll probably have to pass Klague back to Rochester through waivers and heā€™ll be claimedĀ 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Trading Bloom is what I don't get. I get he is a raw prospect, but he is one that is performing well in the juniors so I would think he has some value.

Ok, maybe Bloom is so far behind in the depth chart they don't see a spot for him down the road. BUT, he was a 3rd round pick that seems to have been outplaying his draft spot, and in junior is a goal-every-other-game player.Ā  You don't have a spot for him fine, but don't just give him away for what appears to be a good AHL-level/Bad NHL-level D-man that, at first glance, only fills a sport on your roster where he is going to barely get by due to injuries.Ā Ā 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sabres aren't up against the cap, aren't there guys routinely on the waiver wire on a weekly basis that are ALMOST as good if not as good?Ā  Ā 

With that said, if someone knows something else about Stillman other than he was a late 4th round pick, He is a 2 goal, 12 assist guy over 82 games, he was Vancouver's 6th option (in terms of ice time per games played) with penalty killing..is under 200 lbs, and got scratched a lot with Vancover and Chicago over the last 3 years.Ā  Ā Again, someone tell me what he is good at over someone you can get off of waivers?

Maybe this move is just the first one and another D-man is coming, one who will bring a little more to the team. But if that is the case, and Stillman is the 'break glass in case of emergency' guy...I still go back to why give up Bloom, when Bloom could probably be used for a greater asset sometime in the future?

Edited by mjd1001

1 minute ago, RochesterExpat said:

Watch, this is the missing piece to Chychrun because Arizona demanded a D-man coming back and GMKA didn't want to send anyone on the roster out of a fear of screwing up the vibes.

Lol

ARI: Weā€™ll trade you Chychrun but only if you get us Riley Stillman from Vancouver

• Haha (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Trading Bloom is what I don't get.

Ok, maybe Bloom is so far behind in the depth chart they don't see a spot for him down the road. BUT, he was a 3rd round pick that seems to have been outplaying his draft spot, and in junior is a goal-every-other-game player.Ā  You don't have a spot for him fine, but don't just give him away for what appears to be a good AHL-level/Bad NHL-level D-man that, at first glance, only fills a sport on your roster where he is going to barely get by due to injuries.Ā Ā 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Sabres aren't up against the cap, aren't there guys routinely on the waiver wire on a weekly basis that are ALMOST as good if not as good?Ā  Ā 

With that said, if someone knows something else about Stillman other than he was a late 4th round pick, He is a 2 goal, 12 assist guy over 82 games, he was Vancouver's 6th option (in terms of ice time per games played) with penalty killing..is under 200 lbs, and got scratched a lot with Vancover and Chicago over the last 3 years.Ā  Ā Again, someone tell me what he is good at over someone you can get off of waivers?

Maybe this move is just the first one and another D-man is coming, one who will bring a little more to the team. But if that is the case, and Stillman is the 'break glass in case of emergency' guy...I still go back to why give up Bloom, when Bloom could probably be used for a greater asset sometime in the future?

It looks like he blocks a lot of shots and hits a lot.Ā  Way more per game than Clague.Ā Ā 

I thought Josh Bloom was supposed to be the power forward we all wanted coming soon................ I guess not. Seems too early to give up on him but I guess they don't like his development.Ā 

Stillman? He's not good. I don't think he's any better than Colin Miller or Robert Hagg was. I DEFINITELY don't think he's any better than Mike Riley who we could have had for roughly the same contract and term for free (and probably still could have for free). So I don't get this at all.Ā 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Any thoughts on who is going down to Ra-cha-cha for the next 4 days as they now have 1 too many bodies on the big club?

(Please don't say Dahlin is getting IR'd for a few days.)

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

UPL could go down and get called up on Friday after the TDL.

Ā 

I imagine that Comrie will start against Columbus and Anderson against Boston, so Saturday would be His First probable start

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Watch, this is the missing piece to Chychrun because Arizona demanded a D-man coming back and GMKA didn't want to send anyone on the roster out of a fear of screwing up the vibes.

OR, he has to toss in a D man from the roster to make that deal happen (maybe Jokiharju) and so he needed another D body for depth. Especially if Dahlin is more banged up than we think.Ā 

31 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Can we see his stats that don't include rookie years? Namely the last season? Then see those stats relative to the rest of the Canucks?

==============================================================
VAN even strength goal differential through 59 games = -21
VAN even strength minutes played through 59 games = 3013.29
exp+/- is a function of %min played at ES and team ES goal diff
TRpm(team relative +/-) is the diff btwn actual+/- and exp+/-
%min is % of ES minutes played
Team  Player                   TRpm    GP   +/-   exp+/-  %min
VAN Quinn Hughes              17.63    55    10   -7.63   36.3
VAN Luke Schenn               14.87    55     9   -5.87   27.9
VAN Elias Pettersson          12.86    57     7   -5.86   27.9
VAN Ethan Bear                10.25    46     5   -5.25   25.0
VAN Andrei Kuzmenko            9.34    58     4   -5.34   25.4
VAN Bo Horvat                  8.17    49     3   -5.17   24.6
VAN Ilya Mikheyev              7.50    46     3   -4.50   21.4
VAN Lane Pederson              3.92    11     3   -0.92    4.4
VAN Conor Garland              1.59    58    -4   -5.59   26.6
VAN Vasily Podkolzin          -0.82    26    -3   -2.18   10.4
VAN Anthony Beauvillier       -0.91    10    -2   -1.09    5.2
VAN Curtis Lazar              -1.55    45    -5   -3.45   16.4
VAN Nils Hoglander            -1.94    25    -4   -2.06    9.8
VAN Travis Dermott            -3.03    11    -4   -0.97    4.6
VAN Jack Studnicka            -3.59    34    -6   -2.41   11.5
VAN Sheldon Dries             -5.29    40    -8   -2.71   12.9
VAN Nils Aman                 -5.53    45    -9   -3.47   16.5
VAN Tyler Myers               -5.64    56   -13   -7.36   35.1
VAN William Lockwood          -6.12    13    -7   -0.88    4.2
VAN Tanner Pearson            -7.88    14    -9   -1.12    5.3
VAN J.T. Miller               -8.81    59   -15   -6.19   29.5
VAN Kyle Burroughs           -10.38    25   -13   -2.62   12.5
VAN Riley Stillman           -10.69    32   -14   -3.31   15.8
VAN Dakota Joshua            -11.09    56   -15   -3.91   18.6
VAN Brock Boeser             -14.91    51   -20   -5.09   24.2
VAN Oliver Ekman-Larsson     -17.38    54   -24   -6.62   31.5

Ā 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.