Sabres trade for Defenseman Riley Stillman in exchange for Josh Bloom

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Gotta give Kevyn some benefit of the doubt, Jost was a great get who turned it around in a different system here. And can’t do worse than Bryson. Bloom will never play a NHL game. but it reeks of nepotism so I’ll not get too optimistic. 

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

For Bloom -- that's a guy you sign and get to Rochester and see what he's got as a solid bottom-six guy. If he burns it up but is blocked by a bunch of 1st round picks on the big squad, then move him in a couple years. This is... odd.

watch him turn into Cam Neely to reverse Canuck Karma. 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I've got a bad feeling about this.

For Bloom -- that's a guy you sign and get to Rochester and see what he's got as a solid bottom-six guy. If he burns it up but is blocked by a bunch of 1st round picks on the big squad, then move him in a couple years. This is... odd.

I don’t see how the Sabres fit all their 1st round guys in the line up over the next 3 - 5 years.  I’m really not worried about Losing Josh Bloom for a depth Dman who probably knocks Bryson off to Rochester 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

The way he plays he reminds me of a (smaller) Brad Brown. Brown came in a trade in 2004, was also underwhelming but his play made him sort of a cult hero for his few games that he was here for. Stillman is younger and maybe better defensively i don't know, but he'll hit anybody. 

I won't pretend to know too much about Stillman, just saw him on espn+ when i watch the late games, not sure what it translates to, but if he was on the ice when Quinn got mugged yesterday, Stillman wouldv'e not let that fight happen. Tough kid, seems like a teammates bestfriend type of player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Two or less said:

The way he plays he reminds me of a (smaller) Brad Brown. Brown came in a trade in 2004, was also underwhelming but his play made him sort of a cult hero for his few games that he was here for. Stillman is younger and maybe better defensively i don't know, but he'll hit anybody. 

I won't pretend to know too much about Stillman, just saw him on espn+ when i watch the late games, not sure what it translates to, but if he was on the ice when Quinn got mugged yesterday, Stillman wouldv'e not let that fight happen. Tough kid, seems like a teammates bestfriend type of player.

So he's kind of like the replacement for Fitzgerald?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I don’t see how the Sabres fit all their 1st round guys in the line up over the next 3 - 5 years.  I’m really not worried about Losing Josh Bloom for a depth Dman who probably knocks Bryson off to Rochester 

No, they won't all make it to the Sabres, but Bloom could've been part of a powerhouse Rochester squad and then you use him as a sweetener for a better player than Stillman. Some 2nd + Bloom for a true playoff vet rental guy in 2 years, for example.

As to Bryson: I don't think he makes it to Rochester, even at $1.8M next season. You waive him and some playoff contender out there could use a #7/8. I'm thinking the Wild. They've got an emergency loan D right now that Bryson would immediately replace in the lineup. Then, he could replace a washed-up Goligoski when Brodin gets back. They may be in cap hell next year but they've got 10M in space this season and could always dump Bryson for a 6th over the summer or waive him during camp when his cap hit would be likely to sneak him through.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

But would you trade Bloom for Fitz? More like a 6th or 7th for Fitz.

22 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Gotta give Kevyn some benefit of the doubt, Jost was a great get who turned it around in a different system here. And can’t do worse than Bryson. Bloom will never play a NHL game. but it reeks of nepotism so I’ll not get too optimistic. 

Jost was free.

Looks like we have another 6/7/8 guy to go with Bryon and Clague.  So the organization has at least 8 defenseman with NHL experience going into this critical stretch. 

I feel more moves are coming.   The have to figure out how to fit him unless he joins after Friday. 

If he turns out to be a Jost-like pick-up, he is the new 6.   I was hoping for more impact, either adding a 4 and moving Joker with Boosh on the 3rd pair, or adding a much more experienced 5/6 type.   

As far as Bloom goes, he was a pretty long shot.  

Got nothing to add to the above. At best, he’s another Clague or Bryson.

Bloom may or not ever be an NHLer, but Riley Stillmans can usually be signed for free every summer.

Maybe the front office has spotted something they can work with? Or maybe there’s another move coming where Clague or Bryson is headed out?

Guess we’ll see, but right now I’m not sure how this improves the Sabres now, or long-term.

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I think Stillman is the better player just based on basic stats. He's a year younger then Fitzgerald and has played 140 NHL games. Fitzgerald 59 career games including 0 for his new team.

3 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Jost was free.

In a few years this might be looked as it was free too. Sabres have a large amount of prospects, something gotta give. They have several incoming to Rochester for next season and there just isn't the space.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.