Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Because the peak Belichik/peak Brady teams were about 5x better than this Bills team, the Bills during that era weren't trying to be a good NFL team and the Jets and Dolphins were highly dysfunctional franchises?

What are the odds that any group of 3 division teams remain dysfunctional for 20 years? That's what I'm saying

Independent of New England, you'll never see anything like that again 

There were maybe 5 "good" football seasons in those 60 collective years 

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Bills had a three year window and didn’t get close. It’s going to be way harder now. 

Man you bills fan go straight to doomsday lol.

Things you guys didn't have last year a fully healthy team and a healthy Josh Allan.

You'll be fine

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Man you bills fan go straight to doomsday lol.

Things you guys didn't have last year a fully healthy team and a healthy Josh Allan.

You'll be fine

It's what we've been trained to do in regards to Buffalo sports!

10 hours ago, K-9 said:

The moment things don’t go well for Rodgers and the Jets, A Rod is gonna experience the true difference between the Green Bay and New York local media. 

Well that and he's destined to text pictures of his junk to said NYC media.

It’s draft weekend.  Who are we taking?  LB, WR, DT, IOL, ?

I’m going to go on a limb and say the Bills trade down to pick up and extra 3rd rd pick. That will give us 2 seconds and 2 thirds to fill most of the needs.  My hope is they take GA TE Darnell Washington with the early 2nd, but suspect a WR will be the pick. I think we’ll see a DT and Safety as well as a WR and TE with those first 4 picks. Mingo and Mims seem like Bills type slot receivers.  If we don’t get Washington, I like Michigan’s Schoonmaker late in the 3rd.

OL will also be addressed at some point. An article I read discounted getting a LB early because they chose Bernard last year and McBeane usually don’t give up on a player they drafted early so quickly (see Cody Ford).  Still I also expect a LB later in the draft as more depth. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s draft weekend.  You are we taking?  LB, WR, DT, IOL, ?

I’m going to go on a limb and say the Bills trade down to pick up and extra 3rd rd pick. That will give us 2 seconds and 2 thirds to fill most of the needs.  My hope is they take GA TE Darnell Washington with the early 2nd, but suspect a WR will be the pick. I think we’ll see a DT and Safety as well as a WR and TE with those first 4 picks. Mingo and Mims seem like Bills type slot receivers.  If we don’t get Washington, I like Michigan’s Schoonmaker late in the 3rd.

OL will also be addressed at some point. An article I read discounted getting a LB early because they chose Bernard last year and McBeane usually don’t give up on a player they drafted early so quickly (see Cody Ford).  Still I also expect a LB later in the draft as more depth. 

Unless the TE they draft is Kelce or Gronk, I want no part of drafting a TE before day 3.  

• Haha (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m going to go on a limb and say the Bills trade down to pick up and extra 3rd rd pick. 

I think they want to trade down a bit. It also sounds like a lot of teams want to trade down. So they'll need a dance partner. So much of that is going to be unknowable until the draft starts and players start to rise or fall. And the question of whether a player has risen or fallen will be different for every team. I am hoping that there's a team out there that wants to get back into (or just into) the first round when it's the Bills' turn.

The LB angle is a natural one. There's that player out of Iowa that I keep seeing mocked to the Bills. Thing is, the Bills haven't visited with him at all, as far as I can tell. Not even at events like the combine or the east/west game. There's a Milano type prospect that they seem to be targeting - Mapu out of Sacramento State. But that looks to be a Day 2 or Day 3 prospect.

This is a fun event to follow and try to predict.

22 minutes ago, inkman said:

Unless the TE they draft is Kelce or Gronk, I want no part of drafting a TE before day 3.  

I've read and heard a few times that TE might be among the best position pools in this draft. The Bills had private visits with at least 5 players at that position - 2 or 3 of those players have been talked about as potential 1st rounders.

On 4/25/2023 at 10:48 AM, K-9 said:

The moment things don’t go well for Rodgers and the Jets, A Rod is gonna experience the true difference between the Green Bay and New York local media. 

What will be different is the sheer volume of non-sports media/paparazzi coverage, but all star players have their ways of moving through that, and he'll learn. He'll also have rich-people places to go/hide that don't exist in Green Bay. Overall, though, I have a contrarian opinion to this thought that the NY media is going to be too tough at any time.

The New York media is going to adore Rodgers. He's a great interview, he has near-perfect recall so when they ask him about a boneheaded play he can go on a 5-minute tangent about everything he saw. The local beatwriters will develop a rapport with him heading into the season because he will give them endless quotes and stories, angles, and fodder. What did he mean "intends to"? He'll be Eli to them on steroids ayahuasca. And he has more experience and football knowledge than any 10 Jets QBs combined.

If things go off the rails, he'll break out a "Relax" or "Run the table" or any such thing, and he'll be honest about his expectations based on practices and what he's seeing. He's also had more heartbreak to go with higher expectations (following up Favre and an NFC Champ loss) and bigger games and than the Jets have had in their entire franchise's history (Rodgers has been dressed for (1 non-start) 12 different playoff runs... the Jets have made the playoffs 14 times. The limelight and a losing streak and the expectations aren't going to get to him because he's been at the center/top of the NFC universe since he was drafted.

Finally, Rodgers is going to bring all the national media attention with him. He's bringing relevance, anywhere from 5-9 #1CBS/FOX broadcast and primetime games to their schedule this year (the Packers had eleven last season), and that includes all the media folks he's had with him all along. The Jets had 1 primetime game last year (on Thursday night) and two 4:05PM ET starts (not the #1 crew). Add in any playoff games and he's got those same usual folks and interviewers with him. (as an unrepentant Packers fan with no additional NFL/sports coverage out in Seattle, I've been able to easily see 8+ Packers games every year in which Rodgers wasn't injured. I was weary of Aikman/Buck -- since disbanded and 1:25PM PT games.) He's bringing that same coverage with him. The 2nd-tier NYC sportswriter who's simply attempting to stir the pot at a press conference is going to be lucky to get a question in after all the bigwigs have taken their turn.

• Like (+1) 1

Ya know what's cool about having a good team? I can't name 1 *****in player we've drafted in the last 2 or 3 years. 

Gun to my head, 2 seconds to respond and I'm dead. Give me 5 seconds and I might come up with someone.

Edited by ubkev
Edit: AJ Epenessa. Was that one? Edit #2: look at that, I even spelled it wrong.

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Twitter is handling this pick better than I thought.  I don't know much about the guy but I'm fine with it.

WR would have been nice, but i'm not too worked up over it.  The Bills passing game dropped off quite a bit after Allens injury and it seemed to linger the rest of the year.  If he is healthy, the Bills are a top 5 passing team in the league even without a first round receiver.  If it wasn't an injury and his play legit got worse for some reason, then one of the rookie WR's in this draft wasn't going to change that anyway.

Edited by mjd1001

I will root for Will Anderson Jr. With the Texans. I met him a few months ago unrelated to football or anything he should be on his "P's and Q's" for. Nice kid. Very respectful. Called me "sir" for 2 days. I never felt so old. He's a good dude. 

• Like (+1) 2

Love the Bills, but couldn't give two  💩's about the draft.

Hate the months of hype on WGR and the rest of the talking heads in US Sports Media. Hate the Mock Drafts, but more than anything, I especially hate the term "best player available". Like anybody knows who's #25 and #26 when neither of the two players play the same position, nor have they played against each other, and likely... haven't played against any of the same teams. Its a total crapshoot, so just pick the player who's left you think can help your team the most.

I like the Bills pick. 6’4” 250.  Lines up in slot and has great hands.  Allen should be happy with this guy.  He will be reliable like Beasley but a much bigger target.  Knox will start at TE but this guy will play as 3rd WR  or 2nd TE.  

Now go get Allen a blocker in round 2 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1