Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

McGovern has positional flexibility which McBeane love, but I've read he is best at RG, which is good if true because Bates prefers LG

he is much better in pass pro than run blocking. Interior pressures were huge issue last year. You always want better RT play than what Spencer gave but it's far easier for josh to avoid those pressures, dude was positively skittish in the middle on more than one occasion largely due to saffold

• Agree 1

Diggs with a restructure freeing up another $5.4m. All of the restructured contracts reported last week have been accomplished with the exception of Dawkins and White.I expect they will do the same soon.

Edited by K-9
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Poyer back in the fold. Shocked but not surprised. I believe the market for aging safeties isn’t what he thought it was. Good to have him back though. Him and Hyde both. No tandem is better at disguising coverage. 

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Poyer back in the fold. Shocked but not surprised. I believe the market for aging safeties isn’t what he thought it was. Good to have him back though. Him and Hyde both. No tandem is better at disguising coverage. 

What?! Really?!

That's kinda cool. He's likely* past his prime, but I do love Po.

*Almost certainly.

Edited by That Aud Smell

19 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Poyer, Hyde, Miller, Milano, White all on the field at the same time is something we didn't get to see last year

Rodgers will play for the Jets. Imagine being a NE fan today, complete afterthoughts, mediocrity all over the roster

Don't know if Miller will be starting game one....or if so will he be at 100%.  White wasn't that good when he came back...hopefully an off-season of healing gets him back to his old form.

A healthy Poyer and Hyde are good....but part of me was/is ready to move on and take that small step back to get youger/faster/more athletic back there.

32 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Don't know if Miller will be starting game one....or if so will he be at 100%.  White wasn't that good when he came back...hopefully an off-season of healing gets him back to his old form.

A healthy Poyer and Hyde are good....but part of me was/is ready to move on and take that small step back to get youger/faster/more athletic back there.

It might not happen game 1 but it will happen barring season ending injuries

Have the Bills improved at all so far this off-season? 

The OLine looks better with the addition of the new interior lineman.  However, the loss of Edmunds leaves a huge hole on the defense that will be hard to replace.  

Singletary looks unlikely to return so right now the backfield is Hynes and Cook.  

Poyer and Martin return as the Starting Safety and Punter respectively.  Cam Lewis and other depth have re-signed.

Big signing of Kyle Allen to compete with Barkley to be Josh’s backup.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Have the Bills improved at all so far this off-season? 

The OLine looks better with the addition of the new interior lineman.  However, the loss of Edmunds leaves a huge hole on the defense that will be hard to replace.  

Singletary looks unlikely to return so right now the backfield is Hynes and Cook.  

Poyer and Martin as Starting Safety and Punter respectively.  Cam Lewis and other depth have re-signed.

Big signing of Kyle Allen to compete with Barkley to be Josh’s backup.  

Better o line and no Frazier. Yes. Can’t be worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Better o line and no Frazier. Yes. Can’t be worse. 

It can't be worse than 13-3, division win, and a playoff win? Because a coordinator who called a top 10, often top 3, defense for the last 6 years left, leaving uncertainty in his place? Alright man

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It can't be worse than 13-3, division win, and a playoff win? Because a coordinator who called a top 10, often top 3, defense for the last 6 years left, leaving uncertainty in his place? Alright man

Frazier's defenses can win all the regular seasons he wants.  We need good playoff defenses now, and he isn't it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Frazier's defenses can win all the regular seasons he wants.  We need good playoff defenses now, and he isn't it.

This defense and team overall can be far, far worse than it was this past year

His defense was excellent in the Miami game before they all played on roller skates against the Bengals, while their healthy offensive counterparts mustered 10 points. And had high points in other playoff matchups as well, such as vs Baltimore or New England. 

I get that we need better playoff defenses, I do - in our losses to the Chiefs we gave up historic numbers. But Frazier was good at his job and there is no guarantee that the mystery box that follows is good, and I'd guess that there are better odds than otherwise that it is worse 

The Cover 1 guys know Hyde and Poyer, and have gleaned from them that McDermott and Frazier go overboard in the playoffs - in a typical playcall during the  regular season, the defender in coverage has ~4 checks to make based on the offensive package/formation and route developments. The coaching staff becomes maniacal in the playoffs, wanting every play to have the perfect coverage, and will give them up to 4x as many checks to make, which causes a lot of the breakdowns that happen in the playoffs that we don't see all regular season. Far more thinking and far less instinctual play. This isn't going away with Frazier, it's a McDermott thing

I really like where the Bills are still but fans that get mad about a still shot where there is soft coverage on cover zero (you don't press on cover zero in the snow unless you want a guaranteed touchdown against every time) and think we just needed to ditch Frazier to get over the hump are not correct

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

This defense and team overall can be far, far worse than it was this past year

His defense was excellent in the Miami game before they all played on roller skates against the Bengals, while their healthy offensive counterparts mustered 10 points. And had high points in other playoff matchups as well, such as vs Baltimore or New England. 

I get that we need better playoff defenses, I do - in our losses to the Chiefs we gave up historic numbers. But Frazier was good at his job and there is no guarantee that the mystery box that follows is good, and I'd guess that there are better odds than otherwise that it is worse 

The Cover 1 guys know Hyde and Poyer, and have gleaned from them that McDermott and Frazier go overboard in the playoffs - in a typical playcall during the  regular season, the defender in coverage has ~4 checks to make based on the offensive package/formation and route developments. The coaching staff becomes maniacal in the playoffs, wanting every play to have the perfect coverage, and will give them up to 4x as many checks to make, which causes a lot of the breakdowns that happen in the playoffs that we don't see all regular season. Far more thinking and far less instinctual play. This isn't going away with Frazier, it's a McDermott thing

I really like where the Bills are still but fans that get mad about a still shot where there is soft coverage on cover zero (you don't press on cover zero in the snow unless you want a guaranteed touchdown against every time) and think we just needed to ditch Frazier to get over the hump are not correct

Problem was cultural. He had to go

Will continue to watch the additions. Harty is interesting. Now they have 2 guys (Hines) with blazing speed. Up to Dorsey to get them the ball.  

Very happy to see Poyer return. That area still needs additions. OL from Dallas can play all 3 interior positions. I get that. 

Edmunds is no big loss to me. Too often, looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane. Lacked instincts. Out of position a  lot.  Can't believe Bears gave him that $. 

I never know what to do with Edmunds. Fans hate him, pundits love him, and I don't know enough about coverages and football tactics to know which is real. I think he did more than people will realize, taking up space in lanes and being a problem for QBs which doesn't always show up in stats or highlights. LB stats are always a little weird anyways; their role means they get a lot of tackles which sound good, but it counts whether the tackle is after 2 yards or 12. Paul Pozluzny lead the league in tackles one year.

I think the story with Edmunds will probably end up being that we'll miss him more than we expected. Whether he's worth the money he got in FA will always be a discussion without a great answer, both here AND in Chicago.

Just now, sabills said:

I never know what to do with Edmunds. Fans hate him, pundits love him, and I don't know enough about coverages and football tactics to know which is real. I think he did more than people will realize, taking up space in lanes and being a problem for QBs which doesn't always show up in stats or highlights. LB stats are always a little weird anyways; their role means they get a lot of tackles which sound good, but it counts whether the tackle is after 2 yards or 12. Paul Pozluzny lead the league in tackles one year.

I think the story with Edmunds will probably end up being that we'll miss him more than we expected. Whether he's worth the money he got in FA will always be a discussion without a great answer, both here AND in Chicago.

I agree with this, though I will say with confidence that he's better than the fans who think he's soft say he is

When LBs get moved by guards, it's not surprising, guards often have the leverage, size, and momentum advantage. You need your DTs to not let them get freely to the second level. When Tremaine "chose the wrong gap" as people said for years, Cover 1 would show in film that it was just about always due to poor DT play giving a running back 2 gaps to choose from, with Edmunds knowing this and just having to choose one - the RB waits, and takes the other. It makes Edmunds look terrible but the mistake always happened before the back gets to the second level

That said, Edmunds is not a splash play linebacker. He's consistent, reliable, and great in the pass game - we win that Minnesota game and get the 1 seed if he doesn't get hurt, Cousins was having a miserable time trying to pass around him. But 18 mil is probably money more appropriate for a LB who does all of this AND makes the big splash plays, interceptions, forced fumbles, sacks etc. But that's what happens in free agency. The middle of the field will be worse for the Bills this year but it was right to not give him that money

Of the last 3 seasons, our worst defense came on the team that went the furthest, we need to be investing our money to make our offense scary again 

• Like (+1) 1