Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

Draft grades are inherently dumb at this point in time. But it is interesting to read pundits’ immediate reactions to this pick. Those who know the player and can envision his usage seem to love it. Those who don’t know much about the player and/or have a reflexive “but they already have Knox” take seem to hate it.

Trading up two spots tells me: (1) they were very concerned that Dallas would take Kincaid specifically, and (2) he was likely one of the last (if not the only) first-round graded players they saw left on the board.

It's also very clear that, as others have said, they were looking more for a big slot receiver and red-zone target than for a tight end.  The top three tight ends were still there:

Dalton Kincaid - very good receiver, exceptional route runner (for a TE), great hands, basketball background -> highpoint/contested catch ability, not very good in blocking.

Michael Mayer (a.k.a., Baby Gronk) - similar measurables (height, weight, 40 time) as Kincaid, better blocker, good receiver, but less explosive.

Darnell Washington - hulking figure, borderline lineman, beast in blocking, limited receiving.

Basically, a pure receiving TE, a jack-of-all-trades TE and a beast-mode blocking TE.  They could have waited two spots and likely had two of the three left to choose from, but for what they wanted, they felt DK was considerably better than the other two (and anyone else left.)

I like the pick, especially as more of slot receiver option.  If they could give him some time with O-line coach to work on blocking, it would round out his usefulness.

• Like (+1) 1

With both Kincaid and Knox on the field I see Dorsey revamping the offense to a lot of double tight end sets. I'm guessing the golden hands of Kincaid sold since it affords an outlet for Allen that is sure to be an immediate impact.

Was it the right move jumping Dallas to get him? For a 4th rdr, ya, the ROI should be immediate, and any time we get a chance to stick it to Dallas, it's an automatic win 🤣 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Night Train said:

they needed an impact pass receiver and got a top one. 

I agreed with this post - and especially concur here. To me, they took a receiver. He's denominated a tight end. But that's really more semantics. They are going to line him up in the slot, a lot. But I also think they're going to line him up all over the place. Not unlike how the Patriots deployed Hernandez (yikes just for the mention of his name) in the heyday of their 12 personnel - that guy was all over the field.

37 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Trading up two spots tells me: (1) they were very concerned that Dallas would take Kincaid specifically, and (2) he was likely one of the last (if not the only) first-round graded players they saw left on the board.

Two really good takes here.

And honestly: Can you imagine a more on-brand player for the Cowboys than Kincaid?  

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

With both Kincaid and Knox on the field I see Dorsey revamping the offense to a lot of double tight end sets. I'm guessing the golden hands of Kincaid sold since it affords an outlet for Allen that is sure to be an immediate impact.

I agree that they will be on the field together a lot. But, as I said above, their roles, their spots in the formation will be quite different. For my part, I don't think I ever need to see Kincaid with his hand in the proverbial dirt when the ball is snapped (unless it's part of some super cool trick play that goes for a score). Get that guy standing upright and finding space.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

But this doesn’t get me too excited 

I like Joe, and that's an interesting list. But the argument (?) he's advancing isn't a compelling one. For starters: The league's changed; the game's changed. Second point: The fact that ATL didn't figure out how to feature Pitts is a shame and an indictment of their organization. Third point: I really like the idea of having a basketball player at tight end.

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I like Joe, and that's an interesting list. But the argument (?) he's advancing isn't a compelling one. For starters: The league's changed; the game's changed. Second point: The fact that ATL didn't figure out how to feature Pitts is a shame and an indictment of their organization. Third point: I really like the idea of having a basketball player at tight end.

Fourth:  If he thinks Denver traded Fant because they were dissatisfied with him, he's smoking the good stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So, they drafted what many people are regarding as a "big slot receiver".  But they already had a pretty darn good "big slot receiver" on the team last year in Hodgins and didn't ever use him (AND eventually waived him).  Maybe Kincaid will actually be used because he is more athletic and a first-round pick?  Idk.  

20 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why does he say 17 years and then offer up 5 years of evidence?

There’s another tweet - it’s threaded.

But he’s also got Olsen listed as someone who didn’t quite work out because he was “traded.”

Edited by That Aud Smell

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So just because they were traded they're not good?  Does everyone in Buffalo just panic all the time lol

And just because a TE is drafted in Rd 1 doesn’t mean they won’t be good. A good TE is a good TE. Doesn’t mean that we would’ve been better of drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Not to mention he needs a controversial talking point to pivot on for the next 5 months.

20 minutes ago, kas23 said:

And just because a TE is drafted in Rd 1 doesn’t mean they won’t be good. A good TE is a good TE. Doesn’t mean that we would’ve been better of drafting him in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Or, as others have said, the league is different now.  Positions are more 'hybrid' than they used to be.  In your Scheme, a CB can play safety or a S can be a nickel CB.  Traditional DE's and OLBs aren't the same now as they were a decade ago.  So, the same can be true about a TE.  A TE can be a TE technically, but can be used as a new/different type of slot guy.  

Coaches/teams no longer draft guys to fit the 'model' of what the position traditionally was....now guys are drafted based on their skillset and schemes/plays are drawn around those skills.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

But this doesn’t get me too excited 

Joe DiBiase is a little b word who thinks fantasy football is real and this take about 1st round TEs is as irrelevant as it gets. Hey Joey, how about TEs selected in other rounds over the last 17 years? News flash Joey: as a prospect, Kincaid is head and shoulders above any of the WRs you had a school girl crush on last night. 

2 minutes ago, ... said:

Not to mention he needs a controversial talking point to pivot on for the next 5 months.

Spot on. 

This is what it's about, really.

And I like him. I do. I think he's smart and I appreciate that he doesn't take himself too seriously. And he's got a good voice - he's nice to listen to.

Anyway, I respect his need to manufacture debate, etc.

• Like (+1) 1