Buffalo Bills 2023 Thread

Brawndo

(disclaimer: unrepentant Packers fan)

So next season, if all y'all Bills could sweep the Jets, but don't hurt Rodgers' collarbone so that he hits his snap markers and turns that 2nd into a 1st, that'd be nice. (You can end him Favre-style in 2024-25.)

Of rumor note: Rodgers really does worry about his legacy and part of his leaving is restructuring his Packers contract for additional cap help... for the Packers.

Would I have liked the Broncos trade last season more? In hindsight, yes. But trading an MVP is tricky to do. 

Rodgers will be on a revenge tour this season. Expect him to be good. Not indoors-turf good, but good.

Go Bills! (as long as it helps GB)

2 hours ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure I’m too worried about 39 year old A-Rodg.  Maybe he’s got something left but if last season was any indication, their may be not be a big jump in QB play in NY. 

I don’t put much stock in last season. He had no talent around him and was essentially checked out. If his head’s right, he will be a huge upgrade at QB for the Jets. 

10 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Future first ballot hall of famers tend to have well-known names.

Favre, Esiason, Vinnie T worked out well for them . Get Vets to play QB past their prime. Blow the draft. NFLN posted a QB listing since Namath 50+ years ago.  Quite remarkable.

Back to the Bills and this upcoming Draft. On D, the only starter they they lost was vastly overpaid by Chicago. LB.  Yet all the DT's are UFA's after 2023 and our excellent Safties are aging. 

On O, the chatter is WR. They signed a couple. I still see Diggs, Davis, Shakir, Sherfield, Harty and more already here. Whatever. OL is NEVER a bad idea but it's all how they view things. 

I'm open minded on the draft. To me, it's more scheme adjustment/play calling that can make a difference with our current roster. Keep Allen upright.

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't know why the Jets wasted so much assets on a 39 yr old QB - Might turn out well I suppose.

Same, really. That's the kind of thing you do if you're going to make a run, but the Jets have shown no ability to do that. I guess they think they can be TB/TB, but I'm not sure Rodgers is *that* good.

On 4/18/2023 at 2:22 PM, Night Train said:

It's hard for me to give ANY credence to the various BS regarding the Bills draft plans. I bet Beane has a good chuckle at all the kettle heads in the media trying to tell their readers what they "know", which is nothing. Mock drafts are the worst. No harm but I pay them no mind. 

I have zero idea how he sees the roster right now but I have an idea about the D.  Frazier is gone because they wish to scheme differently.

They basically brought back the entire D, minus one LB who was vastly overpaid by Chicago. Still, both Safties have been outstanding in their service to us but father time and injuries are catching up with both. That looks like a big need, even with the signing of the Safety from the Rams. They will get another LB but drafted 2 last year. Dodson back as depth. Guys already here are not forgotten by the team..just the fans. 

OL is never a bad idea. Lots of talk about another WR. They just signed 2. Harty with his blazing speed takes McKenzies slot and Sherfield is actually pretty good. Shakir was just drafted. Diggs and Davis still here. We need a WR this year ? Why ?  Sounds more like next year when Davis has his contract expire. We'll see. To read the biased press, we have no WR's beyond Diggs. Yeah...OK. 

Our biggest need is better playcalling from the coordinators. The HC is now calling the D. Dorsey seemed way too pass happy last year and too depndent on Alllen to do everything, including run. Need far more from the RB's. That includes catching the ball. 

I agree with much of this, but not on WR.  The Bills are dying for another major weapon at WR, IMHO. 

To beat KC or Cinci in the playoffs, the Bills need to be able to score at least 35 pts.  They need another guy to throw to, in addition to Diggs, to do that.  Davis isn't the guy.

15 hours ago, Night Train said:

So the Jets once dealt for Brett Favre and now Rodgers. 

It's obvious to all the Jets have a solid plan short and long term when it comes to QB's.

How can we possibly question their results. 

Hot Mess Lol GIF by StickerGiant

The Bills, who lost to the Jets last year, whose QB injured his throwing elbow and who haven't won a road playoff game under McD, aren't in a position to be laughing at the Jets, who have a better D than the Bills and just added an all-time great at the most important position.

I think its probably pretty hard to check back into football when you spent an entire year checked out

The Jets should be a very good football team, and the Bills need to work harder than ever to maintain their spot at the top of the division 

But my prediction is that as usual, the talk of the AFC in January will be centered on Mahomes Allen and Burrow

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with much of this, but not on WR.  The Bills are dying for another major weapon at WR, IMHO. 

To beat KC or Cinci in the playoffs, the Bills need to be able to score at least 35 pts.  They need another guy to throw to, in addition to Diggs, to do that.  Davis isn't the guy.

The Bills, who lost to the Jets last year, whose QB injured his throwing elbow and who haven't won a road playoff game under McD, aren't in a position to be laughing at the Jets, who have a better D than the Bills and just added an all-time great at the most important position.

Signing a 40 year old isn't enough to give the bungling Jets franchise THIS degree of respect, IMO. I won't laugh at them, but the Jets are the team with a comical drought filled with disastrous management and football. The Bills' baseline is something to which the Jets are desperately trying to leap, and they have now used up their dry powder at this point. What they have now is about what they will have to challenge us with for the foreseeable future, as their young players start needing second contracts. They have a lot of pressure on them because of this, if this doesn't work to pass the Bills, they can't really do anything about it. (I think Miami is in the same boat)

The Bills just need to keep doing what they have been doing for 3 years. They do need to win a road playoff game- they are also the only franchise besides KC to win playoff games each of the last 3 years. Nobody comes close to the Bills in point differential the last 3 years. The Bills won 14 games despite forgetting how to play football and having serious injury issues on D for the vast majority of last year, and a QB with a serious UCL strain in his throwing arm from week 8 onwards. The Jets won 7 and added a QB that barely looked average most of last season. Defensive performances are difficult to maintain year over year (2019-20-21 Bills defenses had a variance of like 16 ranking positions between each season) and while the Jets D was top 2 last year, the bills have learned to be comfortable in those close, grinding games. Both the Jets and the Dolphins have paths to pass the Bills this year. Neither team has Josh Allen, so even if that happens, I wouldn't trade places with either team. Miami has a TON of OLD players with huge cap hits and a Qb coming off his rookie deal (and considering retirement), the Jets have a 3 year window of good cheap players that will become as difficult as the bills current situation, only their QB is 40 and currently 2 levels below ours, and have to learn to be great immediately to have a chance at jumping Buffalo

For all the things we wring our hands about in Buffalo, we have it so good. Pumped for the fall and looking forward to our prime time game against the jets 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Signing a 40 year old isn't enough to give the bungling Jets franchise THIS degree of respect, IMO. I won't laugh at them, but the Jets are the team with a comical drought filled with disastrous management and football. The Bills' baseline is something to which the Jets are desperately trying to leap, and they have now used up their dry powder at this point. What they have now is about what they will have to challenge us with for the foreseeable future, as their young players start needing second contracts. They have a lot of pressure on them because of this, if this doesn't work to pass the Bills, they can't really do anything about it. (I think Miami is in the same boat)

The Bills just need to keep doing what they have been doing for 3 years. They do need to win a road playoff game- they are also the only franchise besides KC to win playoff games each of the last 3 years. Nobody comes close to the Bills in point differential the last 3 years. The Bills won 14 games despite forgetting how to play football and having serious injury issues on D for the vast majority of last year, and a QB with a serious UCL strain in his throwing arm from week 8 onwards. The Jets won 7 and added a QB that barely looked average most of last season. Defensive performances are difficult to maintain year over year (2019-20-21 Bills defenses had a variance of like 16 ranking positions between each season) and while the Jets D was top 2 last year, the bills have learned to be comfortable in those close, grinding games. Both the Jets and the Dolphins have paths to pass the Bills this year. Neither team has Josh Allen, so even if that happens, I wouldn't trade places with either team. Miami has a TON of OLD players with huge cap hits and a Qb coming off his rookie deal (and considering retirement), the Jets have a 3 year window of good cheap players that will become as difficult as the bills current situation, only their QB is 40 and currently 2 levels below ours, and have to learn to be great immediately to have a chance at jumping Buffalo

For all the things we wring our hands about in Buffalo, we have it so good. Pumped for the fall and looking forward to our prime time game against the jets 

I generally agree and am happy with McD, BB and the state of the franchise.  I just think the Bills have some important holes that need to be fixed, there isn't much that separates the Bills from the Jets or Miami at this point, it's entirely possible that one or both of them passes the Bills this year (although I don't think this will happen) and sneering at them is ill-advised.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Id love to get back to a place where the Bills fans didn’t act like arrogant ***** all off-season.  

25 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I generally agree and am happy with McD, BB and the state of the franchise.  I just think the Bills have some important holes that need to be fixed, there isn't much that separates the Bills from the Jets or Miami at this point, it's entirely possible that one or both of them passes the Bills this year (although I don't think this will happen) and sneering at them is ill-advised.

I just don't get why none of us could give NE this sort of challenge when we had 20 years to do it

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Id love to get back to a place where the Bills fans didn’t act like arrogant ***** all off-season.  

Last summer was bad. This year I need them to step back from the ledge 

4 hours ago, Night Train said:

Favre, Esiason, Vinnie T worked out well for them . Get Vets to play QB past their prime. Blow the draft. NFLN posted a QB listing since Namath 50+ years ago.  Quite remarkable.

OL is NEVER a bad idea but it's all how they view things. 

Keep Allen upright.

Getting an aged future HOF quarterback worked out quite nicely for the Bucs and the Broncos. Rodgers to the Jets is poised to be a big problem for the Bills.

As for OL, I've read several times that it's viewed as a poor draft for that area. But keeping #17 in better shape must be a priority.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Don't know why the Jets wasted so much assets on a 39 yr old QB - Might turn out well I suppose.

This perspective is baffling to me. I've seen it a fair amount among the Bills' faithful.

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

Same, really. That's the kind of thing you do if you're going to make a run, but the Jets have shown no ability to do that. I guess they think they can be TB/TB, but I'm not sure Rodgers is *that* good.

More baffling still. If last year's Jets had received slightly better than average quarterback play, they would have been a dark horse contender for the AFC title. Not the AFC East title. The AFC title.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Trade for D Hop now.

5 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

The Bills had a three year window and didn’t get close. It’s going to be way harder now. 

The Bills have a [length of Josh Allen's career] window. 

2 weeks before 13 seconds everyone was miserable about our offense

He can win any game at any time. The roster will fluctuate around him but all you need is for things to click at the right time. When you have josh allen every year odds are good that it'll happen once or twice 

I remember Brady teams that had bottom 5 defenses and struggling weapons until late December, then they'd win a SB

Doomerism is pathetic, we are in a Bills golden age

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I just don't get why none of us could give NE this sort of challenge when we had 20 years to do it

Because the peak Belichik/peak Brady teams were about 5x better than this Bills team, the Bills during that era weren't trying to be a good NFL team and the Jets and Dolphins were highly dysfunctional franchises?

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

The moment things don’t go well for Rodgers and the Jets, A Rod is gonna experience the true difference between the Green Bay and New York local media. 

Rodgers being in the AFC East is something that worries me, as a Bills fan.

That said ... there is a glorious opportunity here for some good ol' fashioned Big Apple dysfunction and acrimony.