OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

When I graduated from college, there weren't many jobs in the Buffalo area. When I got an offer for a position in California that was for about 25% more than what my classmates got that were able to get an offer in WNY, it took about 2 secs to decide.

A high paying job in California vs No job in Buffalo with winter I didn't like. I think I made the SMART decision.

Soft.

NS reporting for duty.

We survived the 'weather bomb' thing.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/power-outage-weather-bomb-second-day-1.4474233

We were fortunate in that we are on the Atlantic coast and did not get any snow.  Much of the rest of NS, NB and PEI are buried.

We had the strongest winds since Hurricane Juan.  We lost power for 8 hours, but are back on the grid now.  Many others still without power.

It dropped below 50 here in New Orleans. Pretty tough to deal with.  ;)

...actually watching the locals is hilarious. They wear full parkas with hats and scarves when it hits, like, 55 degrees. It's absurd. They talk about "too cold to go anywhere."  ...total lack of perspective.

Schools are closing due to the temperatures forecast for tomorrow? I feel old, they never closed school for temperature in my day. Ice, snow, power lines only reasons ken-ton ever closed for me

Teacher unions.

Teachers usually have to still show up when schools are closed only for temperature reasons.

Teachers usually have to still show up when schools are closed only for temperature reasons.

Lockport staff had to show up for a "professional development" day.

My school is a veritable wind tunnel, especially on the path kids and teachers have to walk on during dismissal duty. I'm not complaining for a second about "cold days."

Lockport staff had to show up for a "professional development" day.

My school is a veritable wind tunnel, especially on the path kids and teachers have to walk on during dismissal duty. I'm not complaining for a second about "cold days."

This is precisely what my friends have to do, more often than not.

I'm looking at Hutch Tech right now.  They didn't even bother to shovel the sidewalk.  And there are no footprints in the snow.

Maybe city schools treat it differently? My friends who teach in various 'burbs typically have to go in for staff development days if the only reason for closure is the cold.

Wicked stuff!

Ontario has sent dozens of linemen to the Maritimes to help with power restoration.

We just have -40 wind chills at the moment, wood stove getting lots of love.

You wonder how folks in, say, the Peg, deal with much, much colder temps than we're facing, and you realize you must just get used to it. We've been in a meat locker for like 10 days and I'm starting to not even notice.

I was a little surprised how much it didn't bother me

You wonder how folks in, say, the Peg, deal with much, much colder temps than we're facing, and you realize you must just get used to it. We've been in a meat locker for like 10 days and I'm starting to not even notice.

It's a dry cold.

I think there's a lot to this. Unless you're making a joke. Buuuuut... I just checked a weather site and it's -2 where I am with 82% humidity. It feels dry though. I'd almost take -2 to a wet 32.

No joke - never been in Winnipeg but I suspect the less humidity in the air, the less relative cold you would feel versus a comparable temp in higher humidity. I've been in Phoenix when it's been 100° and it doesn't feel all that hot to me. But 100° in Orlando would be simply brutal. 

Better hide your chickens.

The mother fox on my property got two of my neighbors chickens last summer and brought them back for her kits. One black chicken and one white. With all the feathers scattered around it looked like I’d held a crazy voodoo ceremony.....

Bills are in the playoffs sooooooo.....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.