OT: Weather (just weather)

JJFIVEOH

I love this place!

You pulled from a gem my friend.

I had to Google "cyclone bomb" after my boss, unbeknownst to me, had received his talking points an hour earlier from faux news. The first 5 results were fox news.

The bomb cyclone is a legitimate term according to NPR.  It has to do with the pressure in a storm system dropping 24 millibars or more in a day.  The article I read at one point said they expect it to be about 50 millibars.

I like this article on it.  https://www.popsci.com/bomb-cyclone#page-7

The bomb cyclone is a legitimate term according to NPR.  It has to do with the pressure in a storm system dropping 24 millibars or more in a day.  The article I read at one point said they expect it to be about 50 millibars.

I like this article on it.  https://www.popsci.com/bomb-cyclone#page-7

Good read. I plan on staying warm tomorrow at home.  Not to worried. 

The bomb cyclone is a legitimate term according to NPR. It has to do with the pressure in a storm system dropping 24 millibars or more in a day. The article I read at one point said they expect it to be about 50 millibars.

I like this article on it. https://www.popsci.com/bomb-cyclone#page-7

Again those of us from Buffalo... how soon you forget.. its called a locally heavy snow squall... :) Edited by Kottbullar

Schools are closing due to the temperatures forecast for tomorrow? I feel old, they never closed school for temperature in my day. Ice, snow, power lines only reasons ken-ton ever closed for me

I think they did that once at RIT when I was there- windchills were like -30+ or something, they cancelled evening classes. Of course most of us didn't know and went anyway. My class that night was half full, professor was like, well, you're here, let's just hang out if you want. And it was a fun class, so we went to Java's and had a good time. 

We all joked RIT was getting soft about the weather. 

I stayed home from work today. Not much snow, but my 30+ mile commute was almost entirely red for traffic, I have to assume from the 20+ MPH winds blowing snow around.

good call. That was here on Tuesday... I sat on Wherle f*ckin' Drive for over a goddamned hour trying to get downtown. Definitely the winds +everyone getting out early + mucky snow. My 35 minute commute took 2.5 hours. But of course, seeing the pileup minutes from my apartment, decided to just count my blessings and enjoy all the podcasts loaded up on my phone. 

I'm currently stuck at JFK, it was a miracle that we even landed here, but after boarding Qatar airlines, we sat in the plane for 4 hours before the had us disembark the aircraft back into the terminal, it looks nasty outside....sucks to have these long transit/layover days, but that's what ya get for living in the. Northeast

Schools are closing due to the temperatures forecast for tomorrow? I feel old, they never closed school for temperature in my day. Ice, snow, power lines only reasons ken-ton ever closed for me

Teacher unions.

You're right. The teachers strike was the only other time school was close.

:devil:

We got 4-6 inches yesterday evening through early this morning and half of the town is shut down. The best part is I already got an alert that the base will be closed tomorrow for all but essential services.

21 total hours of paid administrative leave (5 hours Wednesday, all day Thursday and Friday). I love it when it snows down south.

Yup. Proud to pretty much never get a snow day in my 4 years at Kenmore East.

So I'm currently in hour 16 of layover/delay, they have closed the airport and no flights all night until 7am at the earliest, then the connecting flight will not transfer in time so that's another 16+ hours at Doha, I may rent a subaru (hopefully) and drive back to Buffalo and scratch this whole damn thing..... Soooooo annoyed

All the weak people moved to warmer climes.

When I graduated from college, there weren't many jobs in the Buffalo area. When I got an offer for a position in California that was for about 25% more than what my classmates got that were able to get an offer in WNY, it took about 2 secs to decide.

A high paying job in California vs No job in Buffalo with winter I didn't like. I think I made the SMART decision.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.