GDT:Sabres at Calgary Flames 10/20/22 9:30pm MSG, WGR550

Brawndo

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I always thought it had to be in the same period

Have heard old timers push for that, but have always gone with just getting 3 consecutively before anybody else.  Rare enough getting 3 in a row with none of the other 39 guys that dressed getting one (hey, goalies get 'em every now & then too); to have to get them all in the same stanza makes it too selective IMHO.

Just now, Taro T said:

Have heard old timers push for that, but have always gone with just getting 3 consecutively before anybody else.  Rare enough getting 3 in a row with none of the other 39 guys that dressed getting one (hey, goalies get 'em every now & then too); to have to get them all in the same stanza makes it too selective IMHO.

So no natural hatty today then 

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I always hear conflicting things on this. Does it need to be 3 in a row in the game in general or just for your team? I thought the former but you hear varying takes 

Both. 

A natural hat trick is achieved by a player whose three goals are scored consecutively, with no player on either team scoring in between.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NAF said:

^most important thing. In the Eichel/Housley/Krueger era the team falls apart after that ref kick goal.

I’d add that they did that in the first half of the season last year as well. But instead chastising players like previous coaches and pinning them the bench, Granato finds the learning opportunity and keeps playing the guys to seize the growth opportunity. That is a really liberating feeling for players. Tonight was a real character builder in that regard, imo.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Both. 

A natural hat trick is achieved by a player whose three goals are scored consecutively, with no player on either team scoring in between.

Maybe my question wasn’t clear. The way I was trying to phrase it, the way you explain it only applies to the former of my two examples

Tuch had 3 Buffalo goals in a row but not three in a row in the game

Edited by Thorny

Just now, K-9 said:

I’d add that they did that in the first half of the season last year as well. But instead chastising players like previous coaches and pinning them the bench, Granato finds the learning opportunity and keeps playing the guys to seize the growth opportunity. That is a really liberating feeling for players. Tonight was a real character builder in that regard, imo.

Yep.  As an example, early in the year Skinner was out late when they were protecting a lead a couple of times and they got burned badly.  But Skinner actually got (a little) better in his own end and he started playing more of a team game (who'd ever seen him consistently make good passes ever before?) and really played his best hockey as a Sabre & probably as an NHLer.

Granato's leadership is so empowering it's amazing.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

A natural cycle (which I saw live once) is single, double, triple, homer. So I'd figure a natural hattie would be penalty shot, shorthanded, even strength, power play. Which doesn't make sense. 

Not a natural Hattie as it would be 4 goals, and actually there's a 5th goal you forgot (the empty netter) and believe it or not a player has actually "hit for the cycle" once.

And nobody has ever gotten the "full cycle" of all SIX classifications of goals in a single game.  (The sixth is the technical or awarded goal.  The puck doesn't actually enter the net but a goal is awarded anyhow typically due to a penalty taken with an empty net including the goalie leaving the net but leaving his stick in the crease.)

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Early season performance lends me to believe we’d go undefeated in the Canadian Division 

Would be great if they can.  Would likely guarantee getting into the 90's and would just about guarantee they hit that magic 0.600.

But just doubt they can take all 4 against the Otters.  Hoping that's selling them short.

Just finished watching the game.  Great 1st 2 periods.  Mitts was excellent tonight.  I think we can put the BS that Casey isn’t fast to bed.  Tuch was fantastic again.  Comrie was as well.  Dahlin and JJP made their usual contributions.

Worst play of the night belongs to the ref.  He should be fined about $5 grand for kicking the puck in front of the net.  That shouldn’t be allowed.  

Calgary was lucky we weren’t up 7-1 after 2.  3 point blank shots off the posts and crossbar.  

This is the type of win the helps a young team gain long-term confidence.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Great game tonight. Dahlin playing himself into great company and being recognized for it in sports commentary league wide is terrific. People are taking notice of this teams hard work in putting together a tight knit group of guys. Props to KA and meatballs. Can’t wait for Saturday night. Be there or be square.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.