Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Flames, The OG Atlanta Team.....

Arizona apparently has a long 'No Trade clause' (No relocation) agreement in the NHL I believe preventing them from moving

Seriously?  That arena is the sticking point still?

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Interesting.  I’m sure he sees our shiny two 1oal’s and an unexpected TnT and thinks, “damn, we used to be in front”.

38 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Interesting.  I’m sure he sees our shiny two 1oal’s and an unexpected TnT and thinks, “damn, we used to be in front”.

Another thing that shouldn’t be downplayed, re: Paul Yserbaert’s comments is messaging: Detroit just “lost out” on JVR when he seemed to be coming and presumably their fans are also hoping for deadline action to help their playoff pace. the old, “oh, they are ahead of us, WE are still playing with found money” spin is fan temperament 101

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

Another thing that shouldn’t be downplayed, re: Paul Yserbaert’s comments is messaging: Detroit just “lost out” on JVR when he seemed to be coming and presumably their fans are also hoping for deadline action to help their playoff pace. the old, “oh, they are ahead of us, WE are still playing with found money” spin is fan temperament 101

It's what's frustrated me about the Sabres rhetoric. "We are ahead schedule so that means we should all be happy" no that means you set your goal to low 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 hours ago, Weave said:

Not an Atlantic team but NJ is going to be a powerhouse for a long time. They have Hughes and Nemec on the way too.

On 3/3/2023 at 5:50 PM, Thorny said:

Detroit to me doesn't have enough in the pipeline or enough assets to become a 'great team'. 

-Larkin is a very good player. But he has 23 goals this year and the most he ever had in a year was 32 goals and 79 points. Good player, VERY good all around player, but no where near a true star that can carry the load offensively. And his extension is paying him $8.7million.

-Lucas Raymond is the 'start of the future' here. He has shown flashes where he looks great, but they are flashes. This year? 15 goals and 18 assists.

-No other forward on the team under 25 now has over 30 points on the season. Not exactly stocked with young guys on the way up.

-Seider is their hope on the blue line. 6th overall pick and he looks good. Good, not great. But again, besides him there is no one else under 25 on the blue line that is a regular top 6 guy.

-Husso is 'good enough' net, but again not great.

-Their top 2 remaining prospects are Edvinsson on the back end, who report say he is struggling in grand rapids having a very hard time adjusting to the 'north american' game, and Kasper, their first round pick last year that some people thought was picked higher than he should have been and might be a season or two away from even making the NHL roster.

I'm not saying Detroit is bad. They have some young talent, just not enough there and on the way to justify a beleif that they are a year or two away from being a serious contender. I don't see it.

7 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

So later today gotta root for Carolina and the Flyers oof.

I get it but I cannot ride the daily emotional roller coaster for several weeks. Just win as much as you can and post your number, come April.  We've improved a ton since this time last year. More to come. 

28 minutes ago, Night Train said:

I get it but I cannot ride the daily emotional roller coaster for several weeks. Just win as much as you can and post your number, come April.  We've improved a ton since this time last year. More to come. 

They certainly have.  When they've won 4 more games they'll have eclipsed last year's points total.  They have 21 games left to the season.

This season has been fun so far.  Hopefully they can keep it up and find the points they need to pass the Aisles and the Pens (and the m'f'n Bolts, too) while staving off the Otters and Swamp Cats.  (Can't honestly see the Wings nor Caps passing them, though anything is possible.)

• Like (+1) 2

Oh I ride it while working evening shifts and checking fantasy hockey scores.. always need something to cure the boredom of idiot drunks and a doc who orders million dollar work ups for homeless he sees everyday who do nothing to care of themselves and rarely follow his instructions but only want a place to sleep off their latest drunk

17 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Is it weird that I can’t seem to get into watching any games other than the Sabres? In the late 2000’s id watch any game that was on national tv. Can’t do it anymore

I've been like that with most sports. And its not like I want to, I don't have alterior motives. 

As I kid I watched the NBA quite a bit, and enjoyed it.  I dont' have anything against the league against how they run things, against the players 'lifestyle' or anything like that. But on occastion (once a month) I put a game on TV to try to watch it and I am just SO BORED!  There is zero to make me interested in what I am watching and I'm not sure why.

With Baseball its even worse if that is possible. Yankees or Red Sox games, pretty much anything on YES, if I was home, the game would be on TV.  I probably had my TV on a regular season game over 100 times a year, and I spent a good amount of time intently watching it.  Now? I pretty much watch zero games.  Just like the NBA, on occasion I'll put the game and and I usually last less than half an inning before I change it.

But the NFL and the Bills.  There is no way I'm not going to watch the games, right?  From the time I was 8-9 years old I wouldn't miss a single Bills game, and I never will. Well....in the past 5 years, I have been watching the games less.  This past season, I probably watched less than 50% of all Bills games, and even less of the rest of the NFL.  I always loved football, I make the effort to put the games on, but a little bit into the games, I just don't care much anymore. I don't know why, I want to care, but I don't as much as before.

Hockey/Sabres have actaully leap-frogged the Bills from my #2 favorite sport to my #1 favorite.  But even with that, I probably have gone from watching 100% of the Sabres games I was available for to 60-70%.  The rest of the NHL, if NOTHING else is on I'll put a game on to watch a bit, kinda as 'background noise'.

Its not really a case of getting older and not having time. It's not a case of finding better things to watch. I have the time to watch games. I WANT to WANT to watch them. Just my overall interest has faded, and still is.  Can't quite figure out exactly why.

Carolina winning 2-0 over Tampa after the first....am I crazy to think Tampa could get caught in the standings? They've been BAD recently. This would be their 5th straight loss.

Lose this and they are only 8 points up on Pittsburgh with 1 extra game played. I'm not expecting it, but its definitely possible

17 minutes ago, wiselyman3 said:

Carolina winning 2-0 over Tampa after the first....am I crazy to think Tampa could get caught in the standings? They've been BAD recently. This would be their 5th straight loss.

Lose this and they are only 8 points up on Pittsburgh with 1 extra game played. I'm not expecting it, but its definitely possible

Watched the 1st and thought the same.  

44 minutes ago, wiselyman3 said:

I just tuned into it....down 3-0 now in the second...but being outshot 21 to 4 with a little bit left in the 2nd? How does a team as good as Tampa get outshot that badly?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.