Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh fair enough, and not many people should want that, but I posted that for the Eichel getting hit, hitting back and being hit again. Thought some Sabres fans might find that amusing or bemusing perhaps. The fight was nothing really. 

Also, kind of restating how if I was KA I would have traded for Jeannot. 

Pretty good win for Eichel and the first place Knights, that was only Tampa’s 5th loss at home 

32 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Saw him getting dragged on Twitter recently, just checked it out. Point per game, leading scorer per game, winning team, good +/-, seems like he's got a good thing going out there

Their evaluation of Eichel has been key. The team assembled around him facilitates his ability to be their best player, or rather, Eichel’s aptitude capably fills the niche of what they require, for THEIR best player, *because* they’ve identified the proper support “Eichel-as-top-guy” requires. 

In a league where your best guy plays only 1/3rd of a game, there isn’t a player in this league (not even McDAVID) that doesn’t need this consideration. (Especially when your best player is on his ELC and not really  “that guy”, yet - just as an aside.)

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

Chicago blew it but at least they tied it late and we’re getting an exciting ot here lol 

aaaand Montour scores after being double (triple? Quadruple?) shifted. Florida pulls a little ahead, Montour pulls a little closer to Dahlin....derp 

season getting real annoying real quick 

Edited by Thorny

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Chicago blew it but at least they tied it late and we’re getting an exciting ot here lol 

aaaand Montour scores after being double (triple? Quadruple?) shifted. Florida pulls a little ahead, Montour pulls a little closer to Dahlin....derp 

season getting real annoying real quick 

That's the same Montour we couldn't run out of here fast enough? The right handed defenseman playing over 24 minutes a night and has 12 goals and 42 assists?  That guy?

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Hank said:

That's the same Montour we couldn't run out of here fast enough? The right handed defenseman playing over 24 minutes a night and has 12 goals and 42 assists?  That guy?

Dunno who was running him out but yes 

6 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Casey Fitzgerald is playing foward for the Panthers... was he the same guy playing D for Sabres?

I think their cap issues make them try something like this or go a man short. 

9 hours ago, Contempt said:

Torts has gotta be going to no?

Don't think so. Not yet anyway. He signed a long term deal and step one was "change the culture" which MAYBE he's doing. They play a well structured defensive game as a team (which you saw when they beat us) and that's all Torts' doing. He simply has virtually no talent on that roster to generate any offense to go with it. 

I really haven't been following the Kings that much but they are doing a LOT better than I thought.

I looked back and they played in Buffalo in early December, just coming off an overtime loss to Columbus. The Sabres beat them 6-0. At that time the Kings were 15-17.  After that loss to Buffalo, they went on to win 6 of their next 7, and in 34 games since that loss to Buffalo, they have gotten 48 out of 64 possible points (123 point pace).

I'm just really suprised at how well they are doing. They have good players, but no superstars (to me at least), yet since Mid December, they are one of the best teams in hockey.

13 hours ago, Hank said:

I’d have liked to see Montour say “I can be a top 4 guy on this Granato-style team” and keep Joker on the third pair. But at the same time, Montour is not the defensive defenseman this team needed last season or this or next season. He had been in Buffalo through the worst and he was right to say “I don’t want to be here.”  It’s worked out for him the past 2 seasons. But it goes back to the spending of draft capital on D. They traded a 1st and Guhle (who was gone anyway) for Montour and got only 2 seasons out of him. That’s not good spending of D draft capital. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.