Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Im not convinced Edmonton ever had the critical mass of young talent to make it work. Yes McDavid and Draisaitl are awesome but that was kinda it for a long time. Skinner - Thompson- Tuch last game really gave some cover to the JJP - Cozens - Quinn to not produce. I think Edmonton finally started to get the parts to have some depth scoring and that is helping, but their defense has never had the skill that we have in Power and Dahlin. 

Was actually referring to the earlier version of Edmonton's we'll run w/ kids & pretty much just kids here, there, & everywhere (well, except for Ryan Smyth) after Pronger's wife decided she couldn't handle the Albertan prairie any longer.  The big issue there was pretty much none of the non-1st round kids were worth anything & even some of the 1st rounders were either busts (Yakopov) or VERY slow to develop (Gagner).  Throw in Adams-level goaltending, few highly priced D prospects, along w/ Krueger arguably being the best coach of that era & it was a recipe to get another crack at 1st overall, & another, & another, &, well you get the picture.

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Was actually referring to the earlier version of Edmonton's we'll run w/ kids & pretty much just kids here, there, & everywhere (well, except for Ryan Smyth) after Pronger's wife decided she couldn't handle the Albertan prairie any longer.  The big issue there was pretty much none of the non-1st round kids were worth anything & even some of the 1st rounders were either busts (Yakopov) or VERY slow to develop (Gagner).  Throw in Adams-level goaltending, few highly priced D prospects, along w/ Krueger arguably being the best coach of that era & it was a recipe to get another crack at 1st overall, & another, & another, &, well you get the picture.

Krueger potentially the best coach for the Oilers in that era has to be the greatest condemnation of a GM's tenure in a long, lloonngg, lllllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnnnngggggggggg time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Are the Devils losing lately because of a depleted lineup?  

Or did Lindy Ruff already wear out his welcome/lack of sustained good results like in Dallas?

I think the short answer is their goaltending has come back to earth.  They’ve been riding Vanecek for every start for over a month…and other than his Chicago shut out on Dec 7th, he has lost every other start (including a tough luck  2-1 loss to Phili over the weekend).

I did not look it up to confirm, but I think he won every start in November. 

10 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Are the Devils losing lately because of a depleted lineup?  

Or did Lindy Ruff already wear out his welcome/lack of sustained good results like in Dallas?

I heard he was cracking the whip a bit too much in practice.

Back and to the left...

On 12/20/2022 at 8:53 AM, LTS said:

Kevyn Adams sleeping again.  The Sabres could have had Danny O'Regan.  He's such a great prosp..... oh.  🙂

30 NHL games (3 of which were for Buffalo):  1 goal, 5 assists, none of which were for Buffalo, and only one NHL assist in the last 5 seasons.  AHL fodder.

22 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Oof. 

Gibson - Porous defense in front of him. That said, he's been league average at best since 2019. How much of that is him, and how much is the suck in front of him? Either way, he makes $6.4M per...yeesh.

Markstrom - This one's surprising. Vezina runner-up last year. On paper, their defense should be pretty solid in front of him. They are missing Kylington and Weegar has been underperforming, but I've watched a few CGY games this year and Markstrom has been letting in some real softies. I wonder if his confidence took a hit in the playoff BOA last spring when EDM shelled him.

Demko - He was playing better before he got hurt, but he was definitely underperforming. That said, VAN's defense is atrocious in front of him.

Quick - He's almost 37 and has a lot of mileage. Might just be age catching up to him.

Grubauer - Been surprised how bad he's been in SEA. 

Campbell - That contract is a disaster. Campbell has a history of being very, very streaky...so he could turn it on, but he doesn't seem like the type of personality to thrive in a fishbowl like EDM.

Petersen - Only has 101 games behind him, so hard to say what he is. That's a bad contract, though.

Goaltending is down all over the league as offense becomes more prevalent. Investing large cap numbers in a goalie is just risky as hell nowadays. Unless he's a superstar like Shesterkin or Vasilevskiy, or you have a really strong defense ahead of them, it's pretty much a toss of the dice what you're gonna get from year-to-year. 

As for our situation, I had no issue with what KA did this offseason. Getting Comrie, who was well regarded, on a sweetheart prove it deal was probably the way to go. Could you imagine if we were tied to Jack Campbell for the next 5 years at $5M+ per when we are going to have to start paying all these young guys? Ideally, UPL develops into a serviceable backup or 1B and one of Levi/Portillo take the other spot in the next year or two. Would be a big bonus if Comrie could find a happy medium between the dominance he showed early on and the leakiness pre-injury. A think adding another strong piece to the blue line would be advantageous as well.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.