Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Okay let me try this a different way. Clearly you don't follow. 

The Sabres have 4rw spots. Tuch, Quinn, and Olofsson aren't losing their spots for Reeves. The 4th line spot is Okposo and so the question becomes is Reeves better than Kyle? Which one helps you win hockey games more often? Answer is Okposo so trading assets for a 4th line rw who isn't better than Okposo is foolish.  It is illogical team building because it doesn't upgrade anything. 

Let's go lw too. Skinner, JJP, and Asplund/Hinostroza, and Zemgus are there so is Reeves better than any of them? No, he isn't.

So to quote a common refrain around here, there's no place on this team for a maybe 5 goal scorer who isn't good defensively but every 10th game hits someone hard. Being upset or even commenting on Adams not adding such a player is just bizarre considering he's 35 and doesn't help you win games. Everyone else I listed contributes more to winning hockey games. 

Sabres players have to learn to defend themselves and stick up for each other because that's how you become a tough team, standing up for yourself and each other. It isn't by running to daddy every time someone bumps you. That's why I have no problem with the Skinner suspension, touch our goalie take a stick to the face. Grit and toughness require a team approach not bringing in some 10 min a night bottom line guy. You know what's scarier than Reeves? 5 players on the ice making a beeline towards you because you done f'd up. 

The composition of the bottom six on this roster is weak and highly flawed. It's a mish mash of has been veterans, cast offs, and not there yets or wannabes. It simply doesn't measure up against better teams and it lacks role and identity. 

To put this in it's simplest terms, if you have your two top lines set, the team needs a checking line and an energy line. Lines that play solid D and keep the score even (at least). Shut down players preferred and 2 way toughness like Marcus Foligno as mentioned earlier. Since you don't have that guy ready and he may not be in Rochester, you are best off to fill those holes with the best player available now.  

Zemgus, occasionally hits people, and he can play harder, so he'd be fine to lead a good 4th line with two tougher and more physical players than we currently have. Ideally you'd like Czikas-Clutterbuck-Martin or Foligno-Nosek-Greer etc. (insert other examples if you wish) but what we have lacks that identity. 

Kyle, imo, is washed up and done and that's what I expected and why I didn't like naming him captain. He isn't the future. For the time being however, I'd have him on the 3rd line. He's 2 way responsible and could lead that unit until he can be upgraded. I wanted Copp for that line before, now I'd target Compher. Assuming he might "want be here" blah blah blah.....

"learn to defend themselves" okay fine, so you want Quinn, Peterka, Cozens to have to drop them now then right? You want Quinn to take on a guy like Reaves rather than having a guy like Reaves to answer for a cheap shot on Quinn? Good strategy. Quinn will feel safer when he returns to action with the full face shield for his broken face. 

Lastly, you're in favour of players taking their sticks to opponents heads. If that isn't videogame logic idk what is. Dude, if you were on the opposing team in my day and you took your stick to one of my guy's head you'd better pray they removed you from the game and suspended you. Otherwise we'd have broken every bone in your body when we rammed you repeatedly into the boards. I don't think you've ever played hockey, so let me tell you, solid wood coming into contact with flesh and bone really really hurts. 

Sticks to the head is indefensible. 

• Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, kas23 said:

A true Tank Commander. He should be proud. 

North Bay Battalion of the OHL wore these third sweaters for the first time last night.

image.jpeg.231981499dc5beda4f7cf2b13025ba0a.jpeg

Sorry about the image quality, the logo is a tank. The team’s nickname are the Troops and they have military ties. They are not tanking, actually top 4 in the league and going for it this year.

By the way, Sabres prospect Josh Bloom plays there and had 2G 1 A last night.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The composition of the bottom six on this roster is weak and highly flawed. It's a mish mash of has been veterans, cast offs, and not there yets or wannabes. It simply doesn't measure up against better teams and it lacks role and identity. 

To put this in it's simplest terms, if you have your two top lines set, the team needs a checking line and an energy line. Lines that play solid D and keep the score even (at least). Shut down players preferred and 2 way toughness like Marcus Foligno as mentioned earlier. Since you don't have that guy ready and he may not be in Rochester, you are best off to fill those holes with the best player available now.  

Zemgus, occasionally hits people, and he can play harder, so he'd be fine to lead a good 4th line with two tougher and more physical players than we currently have. Ideally you'd like Czikas-Clutterbuck-Martin or Foligno-Nosek-Greer etc. (insert other examples if you wish) but what we have lacks that identity. 

Kyle, imo, is washed up and done and that's what I expected and why I didn't like naming him captain. He isn't the future. For the time being however, I'd have him on the 3rd line. He's 2 way responsible and could lead that unit until he can be upgraded. I wanted Copp for that line before, now I'd target Compher. Assuming he might "want be here" blah blah blah.....

"learn to defend themselves" okay fine, so you want Quinn, Peterka, Cozens to have to drop them now then right? You want Quinn to take on a guy like Reaves rather than having a guy like Reaves to answer for a cheap shot on Quinn? Good strategy. Quinn will feel safer when he returns to action with the full face shield for his broken face. 

Lastly, you're in favour of players taking their sticks to opponents heads. If that isn't videogame logic idk what is. Dude, if you were on the opposing team in my day and you took your stick to one of my guy's head you'd better pray they removed you from the game and suspended you. Otherwise we'd have broken every bone in your body when we rammed you repeatedly into the boards. I don't think you've ever played hockey, so let me tell you, solid wood coming into contact with flesh and bone really really hurts. 

LOOOOOL 

There's no way he has 

Loooool 

8 minutes ago, French Collection said:

North Bay Battalion of the OHL wore these third sweaters for the first time last night.

image.jpeg.231981499dc5beda4f7cf2b13025ba0a.jpeg

Sorry about the image quality, the logo is a tank. The team’s nickname are the Troops and they have military ties. They are not tanking, actually top 4 in the league and going for it this year.

By the way, Sabres prospect Josh Bloom plays there and had 2G 1 A last night.

Maybe the Sabres should borrow them and do a throwback night sometime. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Would love to get @Ducky‘s thoughts on the Jets so far successful, I’d argue somewhat surprising season thus far, and how it pertains to the idea in the offseason they seemed headed for a rebuild. 

Has that shifted? Just a retool now? Or do you expect the bottom to fall out? 

Imo it’s tough to fully rebuild in this sorta situation because Hellebuyck basically provides them a get into the playoffs free card whenever he has an “on” season 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You live in the past way to much in regards to Reaves-type players. I’m not opposed to physical players but they need to have more purpose than hitting people. I understand your cynicism over Quinn and the like needing to learn to defend themselves but that is mostly true nowadays. You don’t need to fight people but you certainly need to be able to take a check and/or dish one out if you are going to last in the NHL. Reaves is literally the last of a dying breed and upon his retirement will be the deathknell of the professional “Grinder/Fighter”

You need physicality but it needs to be out of players whom bring more than just that. You also need a general physicality out of all your players for playoff hockey is all varying degrees of physicality and skill. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

You live in the past way to much in regards to Reaves-type players. I’m not opposed to physical players but they need to have more purpose than hitting people. I understand your cynicism over Quinn and the like needing to learn to defend themselves but that is mostly true nowadays. You don’t need to fight people but you certainly need to be able to take a check and/or dish one out if you are going to last in the NHL. Reaves is literally the last of a dying breed and upon his retirement will be the deathknell of the professional “Grinder/Fighter”

You need physicality but it needs to be out of players whom bring more than just that. You also need a general physicality out of all your players for playoff hockey is all varying degrees of physicality and skill. 

Thanks for this. Like it or not, hockey has evolved and continues to evolve away from the goonish antics of previous eras. Some knuckle draggers just don’t wanna get on board with this reality. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wood? That's not what they make sticks out of. 

So Quinn is on the ice and some guy cheap shots him. Now Quinn shouldn't do anything but wait until the goon you want gets his 3rd shift of the night and fights whatever 4th line he's out against. Should work great.... or Quinn gets cheap shot and JJP, Dahlin, Muel, and Cozens all come in, which is better? 

"In my day" and that's your issue. It's not your day and not even my day anymore. You think these kids coming up are gonna get scared because some 35yr old might try to fight them? They don't give a *****. And when you have a team as close as this Sabres team, I dare you to go after someone. See what happens, maybe you'll get a stick to the chin.

You complaining about not getting Reeves is something. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don’t really disagree that there needs to be more diversity of roles in the bottom 6, but it’s not Reaves.  He is worse than any forward on the roster.  He is a  completely washed up 36 year old player, who barely had enough hockey skill to play in the league in his prime.  He isn’t the the answer to any team’s problem.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t really disagree that there needs to be more diversity of roles in the bottom 6, but it’s not Reaves.  He is worse than any forward on the roster.  He is a  completely washed up 36 year old player, who barely had enough hockey skill to play in the league in his prime.  He isn’t the the answer to any team’s problem.

He's synonymous with winning 

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Nowhere did I say Reaves was a great solution and nowhere did I advocate some sort of return to the past. I said repeatedly I'd rather have a Foligno type BUT Reaves was available so I'd see him as temporarily filling a hole in a role that would help until a better player came along. 

Tough guys are not really a total thing of the past either. Many teams have them and use them and they serve a role to keep other teams more honest, to open up ice for team mates and perhaps most importantly to allow younger and smaller players to play with more confidence and worrying less about being hit. We simply lack anybody to answer the bell if it sounds. 

• dislike 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Wood? That's not what they make sticks out of. 

So Quinn is on the ice and some guy cheap shots him. Now Quinn shouldn't do anything but wait until the goon you want gets his 3rd shift of the night and fights whatever 4th line he's out against. Should work great.... or Quinn gets cheap shot and JJP, Dahlin, Muel, and Cozens all come in, which is better? 

"In my day" and that's your issue. It's not your day and not even my day anymore. You think these kids coming up are gonna get scared because some 35yr old might try to fight them? They don't give a *****. And when you have a team as close as this Sabres team, I dare you to go after someone. See what happens, maybe you'll get a stick to the chin.

You complaining about not getting Reeves is something. 

Wood was in reference to the boards. It is what they are made out of and if I slammed you into them you'd know how that felt. IT hurts more than you think. 

Where is the evidence of this close knit team all jumping in and doing anything????? It's a fantasy you have and I wish it was true but to this point in time it's not. Skinner cheap shotting Guentzel (the goon?) is hardly evidence of team toughness. 

All I said about Reaves was it was a simple cheap stop gap measure that imo would make this team better, so that next time maybe Maroon doesn't run our goalie. Maybe.

Idk about you, but I'm still waiting for somebody on this team to hit Kucherov. Just once. When they do that. When somebody does that. Maybe then I will believe you about these fearless kids and their team spirit. Until then, they're still the softer than butter Sabres they've been for years. 

4 hours ago, Curt said:

That's exactly what people here said to me after St. Louis won the cup and Maroon was a free agent and I said the Sabres should sign him. I was a dinosaur, he was a bad hockey player, he was washed up, he was useless, he went on to win 2 more Stanley Cups and is still a valuable role player. But whatever. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's exactly what people here said to me after St. Louis won the cup and Maroon was a free agent and I said the Sabres should sign him. I was a dinosaur, he was a bad hockey player, he was washed up, he was useless, he went on to win 2 more Stanley Cups and is still a valuable role player. But whatever. 

Maroon is better than Reaves.  I’m not objecting to your premise on principle.  I’m objecting to Reaves specifically.  Reaves would make the Sabres a worse team for any minutes that he was on the ice.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

Maroon is better than Reaves.  I’m not objecting to your premise on principle.  I’m objecting to Reaves specifically.  Reaves would make the Sabres a worse team for any minutes that he was on the ice.

Yes Maroon is better but Reaves was available. That's all. It's simply the same idea. A hole that has been there for years and is still there. 

Just now, Curt said:

The boards are made out of a plastic material, not wood.

Everywhere now? I don't think that's true, but maybe for NHL arenas it is now. 

Amusing tidbit. Borgen and Beniers apparently reside together. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/matty-beniers-will-borgen-go-christmas-tree-hunting-for-their-home/c-338867588?tid=281396148

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.