Buffalo Bills 2022-23

spndnchz

If Allen does have an injury he's battling through, that could be a real problem.  But it didn't seem physical.  It was more he either wasn't on the same page with the receivers or he just wasn't seeing defenders in the window.  Either of which SHOULD be an easy fix.

They need to get Milano back.  A lot of the big runs through the heart of the defense would've been shut down if he were in the lineup.

They should be ticked.  Hopefully they play with a chip on their shoulder vs Minny.

• Agree 1

And hopefully this game is a wakeup call for them.  Because of the circumstances of the Fishies loss between injuries and the weather, that wasn't really a game to remind them that 'stuff can happen on any given Sunday if you don't bring your A-game.'

This one should have shown them that in high definition.

Doubt they end up double digit favorites over the Vikes, but if Milano is back & Allen is on his game, could easily see them putting a hurting on the former Purple People Eaters.

• Agree 1

On 11/2/2022 at 9:06 AM, matter2003 said:

Except they can't run the ball and a team would not have that type of success running the ball if the game was tied.  People need to understand context.  The Packers were never winning that game running the ball down by 17, so the Bills, while not happy with giving up so much yardage, did nothing to try and discourage them from running the ball.  The average box defenders were 6 in the first half and 6.1 in the second half. They simply didn't care...if a team wants to run itself out of the game then the Bills are happy to let them.  

Green Bay wasn't trying to win that game, they were trying to "not lose by as much".  I mean, you have the two time reigning MVP at QB and you are trying to run the ball down 17 late in the 3rd quarter?  WTF?  It was so shocking even Bills players were dumbfounded by it. Well, great...they succeeded mainly because Allen got a little careless, but even that philosophy wouldn't have saved them normally.

You saw what happened when the Bills actually "needed" a stop on 4th and 1...they stonewalled Jones for a loss with Von Miller caving in the entire right side of their OLine.

Let's not forget the Bills were the number 1 run D in the NFL coming into the game and deservedly so.

It appears the Jets used this philosophy.....run the ball put pressure with the front four.  Bills will figure it out.

As others have said ... Josh is playing hurt.

He and the Bills will be fine.

The Jets did not play that well and 9.5 out of 10 times the Bills win that game.  It is a game of inches and some of them are mental.  It's a fine line between winning and losing in this NFL.

I still say that when the dust settles at the end of this season the Bills will be hosting the AFC Championship game.

48 minutes ago, MISabresFan said:

It appears the Jets used this philosophy.....run the ball put pressure with the front four.  Bills will figure it out.

I'm here to offer a modest hat tip to those who were saying "um, teams seem to be game planning for the Bills by running the sh1t out of the ball." 

I still think this Bills D is capable of shutting down a dedicated run game. They did not do that yesterday. I think that was more about failures that occurred on the field (I stopped counting tackles that were missed at or behind the line of scrimmage) and not having the on-field personnel they need if they're going to challenge for the AFC title.

The larger problem, I think: The Bills D is designed to defend the pass and surrender a bit on the run. And the Bills O, correspondingly, is supposed to score at least 21 and, on balance, closer to 30 per game. They did not do that yesterday.

So, failures all around. I didn't think they'd go 16-1, so the loss is perhaps not a huge deal. It is significant that they're 0-2 in the division, though.

1 hour ago, MISabresFan said:

Jaquan Johnson is killing the Bills right now, especially as the outside contain player on runs.  He had 2 plays yesterday where instead of being happy to make a play for a 2 yard gain, he tried to take an angle that would have allowed him to make a play behind the LOS for a loss and got outflanked and gave up 20+ yard runs both times.  He doesn't have the speed to make up for his bad angle and hold it to a 5 or 6 yard gain, and if he continues to take bad angles the Bills are in trouble on outside runs.  Milano and Poyer not being in there really hurt as well...they are very good run defenders. 

On offense, the worst thing that happened yesterday was the first play of the game where Allen threw deep to Diggs.  Allen never got out of that attack downfield mentality even when, similar to the 2nd half of the Packers game, the OLine was having pressure issues.  Allen did well to escape but both teams are good in coverage so his downfield options were not open when he did...Allen could have easily taken shorter options initially, but as he is prone to, chose to try and wait for deeper ones to come open.  Same issue Mahomes was having last year during his multi game struggles.  Sometimes you just have to take what the D is giving you and move on to the next play.  

Specifically the issue has been in the 2nd halves of games.  Bills were rolling up yards in both first halves and then whatever adjustments were made by those teams the Bills did not counter well on offense, only getting 3 points both games.  

Basically the Bills should never really lose a game where the D held the other team to 20 points.  They just shouldn't. Even with the embarrassing drive where the Jets started on their own 4 and just ran it 7 plays straight to get into FG range on their last real drive.  

We needed Josh Allen from the Rams and Titans game that was patient and took what the D was giving him at first until they crept up and then started hitting them over the top, but instead we got Josh Allen from the Steelers game who kept wanting to throw the deep passes and was unwillingly to take most of those easy underneath throws until they were already covered after coming off the deep ones too often.  

More concerning is a potential UCL injury to Allen that could derail this season if he misses 4 games like his rookie year where he had a similar injury.  He claims its a little sore and he'd work through it this week, but that doesn't mean crap if the MRI comes back with bad news. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The two division loses are not as significant as some think.  The Bills are still leading the division.  I think the Bills win both rematches in Buffalo.  So they are even stephen if that happens.  They still hold the first tie braker against the Chiefs.  No one else is relevant enough at this point to worry about.

A heat stroke situation in Miami cost the Bills the game there.  A not 100% JA Bills team almost beat the Jets.  Both the Fins and Jets are good teams, but they are not on the level of the Bills.

The Bills will be fine.

• Like (+1) 2

Gotta get healthy and stay healthy. But I think it’s telling that teams beat us having to play their best while we were at our worst. The Jets defense, especially. Their back seven played at an elite level yesterday, the best back seven we have seen in a while. I’m going on record to say I don’t think they can do that the next time. 

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

So far, winless in the division.

That's,... not good.

its probbly best that the bills are back to reality(as well as manyof the fans). our D is not good without our top tackler and our safeties and DB.

Josh Allen is not yet consistently in the Marino,Brady,Rodgers etc level....But he just recently learned how to be a an accurate passer.Hes gonna revert occasionally.

10 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

There is no relief in that report at all. He is still undergoing tests and nobody has a freaking clue if he is closer to playing on Sunday or career over. 

Rapoport took it from “season over” to “still being evaluated.” That’s something, for the time being.

Allen injured his UCL in his rookie year and treated with guru Dr James Andrews. Allen is assuredly back seeing  Dr. Andrews now, which would be in line with Mort’s report which came after Rapoport’s.

And I’ll add: If Allen’s UCL is shot, he should be able to make a full and complete recovery after surgery. The traditional Tommy John surgery has a 12-month recovery prior to return to play (for MLB pitchers). (Ugh.)

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

If Allen’s UCL is shot, he should be able to make a full and complete recovery after surgery. The traditional Tommy John surgery has a 12-month recovery prior to return to play (for MLB pitchers). (Ugh.)

Otoh - this from a 2010 study:

image.thumb.png.b722b707f583547cb1b8b7d4e5ba77ab.png