Sabres Re-Sign Craig Anderson to 1 Year 1.5 Million AAV Extension

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

If Adams could have pocketed the Anderson signing until a move was made for a #1, I think the entire fanbase would have been quelled but now we have to sit with our thumbs squarely up you know where until he makes another move which could be months away.  It’s bad PR.  

It’s also good GMing.

He is now covered with a fallback and won’t be left scrambling for scraps if he fails when the real action begins.

He’s doing what he failed to do last year and was rightly criticized for.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s also good GMing.

He is now covered with a fallback and won’t be left scrambling for scraps if he fails when the real action begins.

He’s doing what he failed to do last year and was rightly criticized for.

If he’s actually trying to acquire a #1 

• Like (+1) 4

25 minutes ago, inkman said:

If Adams could have pocketed the Anderson signing until a move was made for a #1, I think the entire fanbase would have been quelled but now we have to sit with our thumbs squarely up you know where until he makes another move which could be months away.  It’s bad PR.  

Why is this signing for a backup goalie a bad PR move? I doubt anyone believes that Anderson is anything more than a backup who wouldn't player more than 20-30 games at most. As long as the GM signs another goalie who will be the starter before the season starts, what difference does it make? The Anderson signing isn't so much a big deal as it is a preliminary move to address the position. There is little doubt (at least for me) that another goalie will be brought in to start and carry the bigger load. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

@inkman

Essentially we can easily base it on this quote.

Only if you add words that weren’t in his quote.

He implied that he is still looking for another goalie.  He’s left himself plenty of room to crawfish out of that if we end up where we were last season.  

FTR I expect he is working to land a starting goalie.  I am not willing to put enough faith in it to place a $10 bet on whether he succeeds or not.  His choice of words indicates to me that KA won’t be gambling on it either.  And you don’t need to add words to his quote to come to that conclusion.

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

Only if you add words that weren’t in his quote.

He implied that he is still looking for another goalie.  He’s left himself plenty of room to crawfish out of that if we end up where we were last season.  

FTR I expect he is working to land a starting goalie.  I am not willing to put enough faith in it to place a $10 bet on whether he succeeds or not.  His choice of words indicates to me that KA won’t be gambling on it either.  And you don’t need to add words to his quote to come to that conclusion.

He literally has no choice but to sign more goalies.  He currently only has a total of two under contract for Rochester and Buffalo.

26 minutes ago, Curt said:

He literally has no choice but to sign more goalies.  He currently only has a total of two under contract for Rochester and Buffalo.

Malcolm Subban is still looking for a job.

We could go into 22-23 with some combination of Anderson, UPL, Tokarski, Dell and Subban and KAs comments would still be accurate.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

So if the plan is to bring in a legit #1, have Anderson be #2, and have UPL be in Rochester, is this an admission by KA that he seriously screwed up the goaltending situation last off-season?

Yes it is.

All the positives that can be tied to this move are predicated on actually getting a true No. 1 goalie.   

• Like (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Re-Sign Craig Anderson to 1 Year 1.5 Million AAV Extension
4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don't see how this can be considered anything other than good news.

I'm not sure we could ask for a better scenario than Anderson and UPL in the 2 and 3 positions.

Anderson is perfect for the room, good in low-use situations, capable of carrying the load if the starter falls and won't go all Al Smith if UPL passes him.

UPL gets to play a ton in Rochester and hopefully forces his way into the NHL before the season is over.

Not a single prospective new starter has been scared away and not a single asset has been squandered.

Good to see Adams making a move early, getting some insurance in place, and setting himself up to be a player for multiple possibilities over the next 2 weeks.

Much better than being caught with his pants down and looking for scraps after the frenzy like last year.

Anderson & UPL penciled in as the 4 & 3 respectively would be better, but isn't realistic.

Was hoping that they'd have a true #1 AND a better #2, but Adams was on record as stating this was something he hoped would happen, so am fairly blase about it.

If they really can hold his starts to 25 or fewer he might actually be a good backup but am expecting him to be a 'meh' backup.

And agree that the timing of this is fine.  Understand why people would have liked this to be announced after a starter is signed, but unless that guy is coming via trade it couldn't happen for 2 more weeks and most teams willing to trade a goalie probably expect the best bang for their buck at the draft.  Once the paperwork gets to the NHL office, the signing becomes public the next day, so the only realistic way to hold off the announcement is to not put pen to paper.  And if they do that, maybe Anderson decides to walk away from the deal in the interim.  Adams seemingly got bit last year by having what he thought was a deal in place just minus the signature.  No way he makes that mistake again.  You don't have a deal until the ink is dry.

Another 'meh' move. But now they officially have a battery of goalies signed: Anderson & Bishop.  Which would've been a very good tandem about 10 years ago.  😉

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s bad PR.  

Winning is good PR.  As long as he fields a winning team who gives a damn about signing a backup goalie over the summer?  This will be forgotten by the start of training camp.

46 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I just personally didn’t want Anderson back.

I'm glad you're not the Sabres GM.

35 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Winning is good PR.  As long as he fields a winning team who gives a damn about signing a backup goalie over the summer?  This will be forgotten by the start of training camp.

I'm glad you're not the Sabres GM.

As long as he is the backup which is only anecdotal at this point. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.