Sabres Re-Sign Craig Anderson to 1 Year 1.5 Million AAV Extension

Brawndo

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Woulda coulda shoulda. No one bats 1.000. I don't recall people begging to extend Ullmark with a huge deal. Only once he left.

Not true,  I wanted him extended as did many others.  I posted and others as well about how much better our record was with him in net.  In fact the team played at a playoff level with him in net.  

43 minutes ago, Weave said:

That doesn’t  change a bit Adams not even mentioning Portillos name once in regards to the future

He finally did address him by name at yesterday’s presser

kinda came across as “oh yeah, he had a good season too…”

I’ll also say that after watching the presser @inkman’s pessimistic take on Adams getting another goalie looked more accurate to me than the positive take I got from his WGR interviews

It also struck me that he may have also been talking to a trade partner: “I’ve got 2 goalies now, I’m not desperate I don’t need your goalie that bad to pay outrageous price.”

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Given KAs total lack of comment regarding Portillo, I don’t buy this for a second regardless of Power’s comments.  KA essentially treating Portillo as a non Sabres prospect speaks volumes regarding the situation.

Yep.

And, prior to him & Pegula flying out to the Frozen Four, Adams did talk about Portillo and also that he was OK with any of the college kids deciding to stay in college.

After they spoke with Portillo, Johnson, & Levi and came back with Power he pretty much hasn't spoken of Portillo at all.  Right when they came back, didn't consider not mentioning Portillo in one or 2 media sessions as a big deal.  But now that it's literally months later and he still isn't brought up, yeah, there is something to be read into that.

It seems that not only is Portillo staying in school to work towards his MBA & run the business he started but he also seems to want to test FA.  Whether that's because of them trading for Levi's rights or some other reason, would be perfectly fine with his rights being included in a trade package at the draft.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Given KAs total lack of comment regarding Portillo, I don’t buy this for a second regardless of Power’s comments.  KA essentially treating Portillo as a non Sabres prospect speaks volumes regarding the situation.

At this time KA doesn't know what Portillo is going to do after next year. There is a good chance that the college player in question doesn't even know what he is going to do after the next college hockey season. Making a judgment at this time on what the GM says or doesn't say about the player he knows is returning to college is a thin basis to make a judgment on what the GM feels about the player. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

At this time KA doesn't know what Portillo is going to do after next year. There is a good chance that the college player in question doesn't even know what he is going to do after the next college hockey season. Making a judgment at this time on what the GM says or doesn't say about the player he knows is returning to college is a thin basis to make a judgment on what the GM feels about the player. 

I believe it’s telling when compared to the other college prospects. Even if Portillo never has said anything outright; Adams may have his suspicions about Portillo’s drive to be a goalie being secondary to his MBA. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’ll also say that after watching the presser @inkman’s pessimistic take on Adams getting another goalie looked more accurate to me than the positive take I got from his WGR stats.

It also struck me that he may have also been talking to a trade partner: “I’ve got 2 goalies now, I’m not desperate I don’t need your goalie that bad to pay outrageous price.”

Keep an eye out for one of the two Russian goalies on Washington's team. It's likely that one of them will be dealt. I don't believe the price for procurement would be too high. 

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

Another question. When did not “blocking a young player” overtake “they have to earn it?”

I understand with guaranteed contracts it’s a little different but I never heard that as an accepted narrative until about a year ago. That might be the best public relations move in a GM’s arsenal. “We have to be “not good” yet because we have all these prospects that are going to need a spot soon.”

Good point.  I prefer the “earn you ice time” approach over making room for prospects that you drafted or traded for.  

I was afraid he was going to hand a NHL job to UPL rather than making him outplay a legit NHL goalie to earn a spot.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

I believe it’s telling when compared to the other college prospects. Even if Portillo never has said anything outright; Adams may have his suspicions about Portillo’s drive to be a goalie being secondary to his MBA. 

I'm sure that Adams has leanings toward his goalie prospects, or prospects at any position. He's going to be patient and see how the situation unfolds. There is nothing else he can do other than have options if things don't go the way he wants it to. 

As far as staying in school and earning his MBA it is not going to hurt his hockey ambitions. On the contrary, it will enhance them. He will get more playing time in a big time college program and he will put himself in a free agent status and give him league wide options. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm sure that Adams has leanings toward his goalie prospects, or prospects at any position. He's going to be patient and see how the situation unfolds. There is nothing else he can do other than have options if things don't go the way he wants it to. 

As far as staying in school and earning his MBA it is not going to hurt his hockey ambitions. On the contrary, it will enhance them. He will get more playing time in a big time college program and he will put himself in a free agent status and give him league wide options. 

But why should we give a damn what he wants? If he becomes a UFA he’s dead to me. 

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Good point.  I prefer the “earn you ice time” approach over making room for prospects that you drafted or traded for.  

I was afraid he was going to hand a NHL job to UPL rather than making him outplay a legit NHL goalie to earn a spot.  

To be clear, I like Adams and think he has done a nice job but I think he overplayed his hand with the goalie situation and I really hate this thought about saving spots for prospects.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Adams and Pegula met w/ all 4 of their "big" NCAA prospects at the Frozen Four.  (Presuming they spoke w/ Huglen too then, but not positive.)  Adams spoke of Portillo before that and somehow almost always seems to forget to mention him since.  Adams definitely, at minimum, has suspicions.

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

To be clear, I like Adams and think he has done a nice job but I think he overplayed his hand with the goalie situation and I really hate this thought about saving spots for prospects.

I fully agree with that sentiment Tom. My previous post should not be construed otherwise. This coming season is the pinch point of wanting the team to get better and wanting the youngsters to get good enough to contribute in the NHL. Most here seem to agree with the idea of "bubble team". I just don't want KA to be in too big of a hurry and press forward with expensive help that also carries a long term. That's the kind of XGMTM move none of us want to see again. Let the kids grow and when they are ready they are ready, and not before. At the same time, a winning environment would certainly be a positive for everyone involved. Like I said, a pinch point that may leave some fans less than thrilled.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m sure someone is going to dig up some old lists but other than UPL’s one great junior season, I don’t  think Portillo or UPL were ever thought of as well as some on this board seem to think. Now goalies are funny and they all develop differently so who knows, but I never felt confident either of those two would be the Sabres long term goalie. Levi, now him I think of as special.

It’s been a few years, but there was a time UPL was thought of as the best amateur goalie prospect in the world. Then he has his hip surgeries and it’s been downhill since. Who knows what will become of Levi. I just hope JA can sign a 1B goalie for a 4-5 year contract. If either UPL or Levi think they have it in them, they will have opportunity to beat him out to become goalie 1A. 

9 minutes ago, kas23 said:

It’s been a few years, but there was a time UPL was thought of as the best amateur goalie prospect in the world. Then he has his hip surgeries and it’s been downhill since. Who knows what will become of Levi. I just hope JA can sign a 1B goalie for a 4-5 year contract. If either UPL or Levi think they have it in them, they will have opportunity to beat him out to become goalie 1A. 

I don’t really remember it that way. He had a great year that year but I don’t remember him ever being talked about that way.

I’m sure someone is going to dig up some old lists but other than UPL’s one great junior season, I don’t  think Portillo or UPL were ever thought of as well as some on this board seem to think. Now goalies are funny and they all develop differently so who knows, but I never felt confident either of those two would be the Sabres long term goalie. Levi, now him I think of as special.

All the more reason to draft a goalie every year.

• Like (+1) 4

Another question. When did not “blocking a young player” overtake “they have to earn it?”

I understand with guaranteed contracts it’s a little different but I never heard that as an accepted narrative until about a year ago. That might be the best public relations move in a GM’s arsenal. “We have to be “not good” yet because we have all these prospects that are going to need a spot soon.”

Clapping Applause GIF

On 7/2/2022 at 9:55 AM, tom webster said:

FA should not be used to build a team, it should be used to find a final piece or 2 when that teams proves to be a contender but not to load a roster.

On 7/2/2022 at 5:19 PM, tom webster said:

I don’t really remember it that way. He had a great year that year but I don’t remember him ever being talked about that way.

I remember him being talked about like that. It may not have included yet undrafted prospects (Knight, Wallested, etc) but I do distinctly remember him called the best goalie prospect outside the NHL.

29 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

FA should not be used to build a team, it should be used to find a final piece or 2 when that teams proves to be a contender but not to load a roster.

BS on the 2nd half of your post.  You have to fill holes and create depth just to get to the point of contender.  We are at the point where a few FAs are going to be highly beneficial to the kids we are developing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.