Sabres Re-Sign Craig Anderson to 1 Year 1.5 Million AAV Extension

Brawndo

2 hours ago, inkman said:

They can’t run it back with UPL and Anderson.  It didn’t work last year, there is nothing indicating it’ll work this year.  This is discouraging and now we have to listen to everyone bitch about it all season. There has to be another goalie coming in. 

I agree.

Curious as to which potential starting goalies have been rumored to be potentially on the block.

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I agree.

Curious as to which potential starting goalies have been rumored to be potentially on the block.

Mackenzie Blackwood, John Gibson and Semyon Varlamov are the ones I've seen discussed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I agree.

Bob, Reimer, Quick, Gibson, Blackwood, Talbot If MAF goes back to Minny, Varlamov, Hellebuyck if the Jets blow it up, Allen,  both Washington goalies, Georgiev

are all names that have been mentioned that could be available.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

If Craig Anderson is a solid close to .500 goalie who starts 20-25 games and is an excellent presence in the locker room: This is $1.5M well spent.

If GMKA thinks Anderson is a 50+ start goalie and want to pair him with a UPL who has never shown the ability to stay healthy, then it is a disaster.

Rangers really need a lefty shot, I can feel an Olofsson deal where he goes to NY and the Sabres get Georgiev/Nemeth and sign Georgiev for a couple of years and he gets his chance to be a #1 and roll with Georgiev before Levi is ready

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Bob, Reimer, Quick, Gibson, Blackwood, Talbot If MAF goes back to Minny, Varlamov, Hellebuyck if the Jets blow it up, Allen,  both Washington goalies, Georgiev

are all names that have been mentioned that could be available.

Quick is a real possibility, keep in mind Quick does not have a NMC in his contract and its 1 year 5.8M AAV.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

If Craig Anderson is a solid close to .500 goalie who starts 20-25 games and is an excellent presence in the locker room: This is $1.5M well spent.

If GMKA thinks Anderson is a 50+ start goalie and want to pair him with a UPL who has never shown the ability to stay healthy, then it is a disaster.

Rangers really need a lefty shot, I can feel an Olofsson deal where he goes to NY and the Sabres get Georgiev/Nemeth and sign Georgiev for a couple of years and he gets his chance to be a #1 and roll with Georgiev before Levi is ready

That would be a horrible return for Oloffson. Better options than Gregoriev available on the UFA market.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Quick is a real possibility, keep in mind Quick does not have a NMC in his contract and its 1 year 5.8M AAV.

Can’t believe I overlooked Quick after touting him just a few days ago on here.

Personally, I think he might be our most realistic target, all things considered.

• Like (+1) 2

The only information I have about the transaction is what I read in this thread.  If what it says in here is true, Adams said that Anderson was signed to be a veteran backup and that they're still in the market for a proven NHL starting goalie.  If that's true, this is a good signing and I have no issue with it.

I realize that all of us on this board know more than Adams does, but so far, he's done a good job with the rebuild and he seems to know what he's doing.  The goaltending situation last year was not ideal, but the team still developed and improved, going with what they had.  Even with better goaltending last season, the Sabres were not likely a playoff team.  They can, however, contend for the final playoff spots this upcoming season if they improve the goaltending situation.  I have to believe that Adams knows this.  He also probalby knows that he has cap space and trade assets (such as 3 first round picks).  He also probably knows that they need to win games in order to put fans in the seats, so going with a flawed goaltending plan is not the way to do that.  So let's give him a chance to do his job.  If he fails, we can complain about it later.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Anderson wasn’t even in the top 50 goalies statistically last season.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

The only information I have about the transaction is what I read in this thread.  If what it says in here is true, Adams said that Anderson was signed to be a veteran backup and that they're still in the market for a proven NHL starting goalie.  

Kevyn Adams never said this 

38 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So if the plan is to bring in a legit #1, have Anderson be #2, and have UPL be in Rochester, is this an admission by KA that he seriously screwed up the goaltending situation last off-season?

To a degree yes, he had expected UPL to make the jump but it just didn’t happen. He has now learned not to rely on that and has brought Anderson back more as soft block on UPL. He’s going to get a starter, Anderson is an older guy and can easily be put on IR with aches from age and essentially put the ball in UPL’s lap. 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

No He’s waivers exempt for another year

@inkman

Essentially we can easily base it on this quote.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

38th in GAA 44th in SV% 33rd in Wins..granted this does not mean he is elite by any stretch of the imagination but he is an adequate backup.

That’s almost the definition of a back up.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Much better than being caught with his pants down and looking for scraps after the frenzy like last year.

To be fair, Anderson is last year's scraps. But I like this if there's another move coming.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I like this a lot as long as it is for the backup role.  I’m sure that most feel the same way.  I’m not going to read through the whole thread because I’m assuming it’s a bit of a tire fire.

The thread is actually pretty sane, most people aren't freaking out after the Twitter quote about Buffalo still being in on the other FA/trade options.

11 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

38th in GAA 44th in SV% 33rd in Wins..granted this does not mean he is elite by any stretch of the imagination but he is an adequate backup.

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

No , I didn't. I was commenting on how Anderson is good in the locker room. I prefer someone good on the ice over the room

If Adams could have pocketed the Anderson signing until a move was made for a #1, I think the entire fanbase would have been quelled but now we have to sit with our thumbs squarely up you know where until he makes another move which could be months away.  It’s bad PR.  

1 minute ago, inkman said:

If Adams could have pocketed the Anderson signing until a move was made for a #1, I think the entire fanbase would have been quelled but now we have to sit with our thumbs squarely up you know where until he makes another move which could be months away.  It’s bad PR.  

If he is serious about acquiring a #1, my guess is that it happens sometime around the draft or very beginning of F/A. 

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Agreed could have put off announcement but to me its a big whatever... show me a number 1 goalie til then meh

Edited by North Buffalo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.