Sabres Re-Sign Craig Anderson to 1 Year 1.5 Million AAV Extension

Brawndo

I'm going to take a positive spin on this assuming he is being re-signed to be the backup.

1) He is great in the locker room and that is important to KA

2) In a limited role, he played well enough to at worst keep the Sabres in most of the games he played.

3) It's further proof that UPL isn't ready, but that means he'll be playing most nights in Rochester and hopefully improving.

4) hopefully it means that KA is hunting bigger game for the starting job.

5) It's only a one year deal.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I don't see how this can be considered anything other than good news.

I'm not sure we could ask for a better scenario than Anderson and UPL in the 2 and 3 positions.

Anderson is perfect for the room, good in low-use situations, capable of carrying the load if the starter falls and won't go all Al Smith if UPL passes him.

UPL gets to play a ton in Rochester and hopefully forces his way into the NHL before the season is over.

Not a single prospective new starter has been scared away and not a single asset has been squandered.

Good to see Adams making a move early, getting some insurance in place, and setting himself up to be a player for multiple possibilities over the next 2 weeks.

Much better than being caught with his pants down and looking for scraps after the frenzy like last year.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure we could ask for a better scenario than Anderson and UPL in the 2 and 3 positions.

Anderson is perfect for the room, good in low-use situations, capable of carrying the load if the starter falls and won't go all Al Smith if UPL passes him.

UPL gets to play a ton in Rochester and hopefully forces his way into the NHL before the season is over.

Not a single prospective new starter has been scared away and not a single asset has been squandered.

Good to see Adams making a move early, gettgin som e insurance in place, and setting himself up to be a player for multiple possibilities over the next 2 weeks.

Much better than being caught with his pants down and looking for scraps after the frenzy like last year.

Agree with this.

I see it as a good sign that Anderson wanted to come back for another year with this team. There must be something he likes with the team to spend his winter in Buffalo vs Florida.

• Like (+1) 4

Congrats to Mr. Anderson. He was a week from retirement and they assigned him to assist some wild young cop... he's getting too old for this ******.

But then, it killed in the box office (the team was calm with him on the ice) despite upon rewatch the numbers don't really hold up (backup goalie save percentage). So they decided to do a sequel.

And Mr. Anderson -- the Roger Murtaugh of the squad -- got a nice big pay raise. Double the salary.

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

UPL will not be the starter, this is a great backup signing. UPL has barely proven he can start in Rochester so no way in hell will he start for the Sabres this year.

UPL will be with Subban in Rochester.

1 minute ago, CallawaySabres said:

UPL will not be the starter, this is a great backup signing. UPL has barely proven he can start in Rochester so no way in hell will he start for the Sabres this year.

I mean couldn't they have signed Anderson to start and UPL back him up? It's all speculation at this point.

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Congrats to Mr. Anderson. He was a week from retirement and they assigned him to assist some wild young cop... he's getting too old for this ******.

But then, it killed in the box office (the team was calm with him on the ice) despite upon rewatch the numbers don't really hold up (backup goalie save percentage). So they decided to do a sequel.

And Mr. Anderson -- the Roger Murtaugh of the squad -- got a nice big pay raise. Double the salary.

UPL will be with Subban in Rochester.

Subban would be OK in Rochester and a possibility in Buffalo if they need to go 4-5 deep again. Heaven forbid.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good to see Adams making a move early, getting some insurance in place, and setting himself up to be a player for multiple possibilities over the next 2 weeks.

You’re just not trying. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Settle down, he is the perfect 2/3.

Agreed. I'm happy with hit.  UPL played decent/good in his time with the Sabres last year.  If he can repeat that, or improve over the offseason, I think they are fine with that duo.  Of course, the team should have a decent idea where UPL stands when training camp hits.  This also does not preclude another move.

33 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

How would it work if everyone were healthy and Anderson were the third goalie? The team would carry all 3? Or UPL would be in Roch?

In my opinion, in that scenario, UPL is in Rochester until he pushes his way onto the roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So Portillo/Levi didn't sign, we re-signed 90 year old Anderson to hopefully be the backup and couldn't even get a Solid yet not elite starter like Linus Ullmark to sign. I'm not trying to be a debbie downer but I think some of you drink the kool aid way too much. Not that there is anything we can do about it so whining about it doesn't help either but I find it far from an ideal scenario.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

You just now noticed that?  How long have you been on this forum?

Pro tip:  If they grind you down too much, put 'em on ignore.  Then slowly reintroduce them to your diet by peeking at some of their posts if you're curious what they're saying.  In most cases I take them back off ignore after a while but by then I've developed a tolerance for their, umm, style.

I was sort of half kidding but I have used the ignore feature. Unfortunately, when they're not griping they have some informative things to say .

1 minute ago, Radar said:

I was sort of half kidding but I have used the ignore feature. Unfortunately, when they're not griping they have some informative things to say .

I know, which is why I peek at them when they're on Ignore 😛

What Ignore really does for me is make me take a step back and take a deep breath before reading a particular person's posts so that I can try to take it in a more positive light.  Some people that works for; others remain on Ignore indefinitely.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.