Sabres Re-Sign Craig Anderson to 1 Year 1.5 Million AAV Extension

Brawndo

3 hours ago, inkman said:

He’s atop the depth chart now 😒

So what! There are a number of teams that have goalie needs yet how many of them have completed deals to address that position? Although there have been some player transactions made in the league so far it is a small percentage of transactions that will happen this offseason. It would be foolish to make a quick deal just for the sake of saying you did something when with a little more patience there should be more and better opportunities. As the draft approaches GMs more actively communicate with each other to do the spade work with the other GMs and player agents. Be patient and don't be so nervous. It will come. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

What if, when all is said and done, Anderson is the 3rd goalie for emergencies and injuries? 

I'm not convinced this isn't the plan without saying its the plan. 

How things fall in place will be determined by how UPL performs in training camp. I'm inclined to believe that the most likely scenario is for the GM to bring in another goalie with Anderson as the backup. I wouldn't be surprised if UPL starts off in Rochester and then is called up to the big club. If UPL shines in camp and earns a roster spo,t then it might unfold as you speculated that Anderson would be the 3rd goalie. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

So if the plan is to bring in a legit #1, have Anderson be #2, and have UPL be in Rochester, is this an admission by KA that he seriously screwed up the goaltending situation last off-season?

The amount of times I had to watch Aaron Dell…..Was that not evidence enough?!?!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, North Buffalo said:

Yeh concerned based on presser it aint gonna happen...

I didn't get to see the presser and probably won't have time for it, but I have heard your interpretation once more today from someone who did.

9 hours ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

This is a smart signing. He is a respectable backup and an insanely awesome leader in the locker room who is highly respected. From what was said, the plan is still to bring in another goalie and if they are good, 6K will most likely start in Ra cha cha. 

He's a below average goalie, that doesn't make him a respectable backup. Insanely awesome....really?

Just why? 

He was among the worst in the NHL metric wise and was the beneficiary of the Sabres goals per game increasing by quite a bit after February when they got players back and the trade for Krebs and Tuch were completed.

Anderson was by far the bigger beneficiary of the goals scored than the team was with his goaltending which often turned games they had comfortable leads in into all out scrambles at the end due to him allowing bad goals.

No need for this signing. Get someone in here who actually is good.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, klos1963 said:

He's a below average goalie, that doesn't make him a respectable backup. Insanely awesome....really?

When you have a young core of players that are looking up to the leadership of two people in the locker room (Grandpa and Dad) That is worth more then Eichel, Reinhart and anyone else that just has talent. Anderson is more then a serviceable backup. That the team in front of him trusts him speaks volumes. Can we find better? Easily i am sure, but is the fit for the team going to be the same as it is with Anderson in it? Most likely not.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

When you have a young core of players that are looking up to the leadership of two people in the locker room (Grandpa and Dad) That is worth more then Eichel, Reinhart and anyone else that just has talent. Anderson is more then a serviceable backup. That the team in front of him trusts him speaks volumes. Can we find better? Easily i am sure, but is the fit for the team going to be the same as it is with Anderson in it? Most likely not.

Craig Anderson is barely a capable backup 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Craig Anderson is barely a capable backup 

But he is capable and what he brings to the room is more valuable. Again, i am not saying that we cannot find better, but there are 2 parts to this. First, is walking the line on who we bring in that is going to influence the decisions of Levi, and Portillo. If they see no chance of playing time, they will walk. Second, have a great locker room player is better then overpaying for a mercenary netminder that will only be here a year or two and brings nothing to the locker room then someone collecting a paycheck. 

We all get we can have better, but for the overall locker room, this a very smart hire.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.