Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Jack Eichel has now cost Vegas, Pacioretty, Coughlan, Tuch, Krebs, 16 OA and a 2023 2nd 

Yes, but it’s not just that.  They have no stability.  They are churning top-6/top-4 players.  Guys are brought in for just 1-2 years and then shipped out in favor of someone different.  I don’t see how any of the guys there can feel valued or secure unless they have a NMC.

They have squandered their depth through poor asset management and in favor of acquiring a couple extra star players. They are now heavily dependent upon several players on the wrong side of 30, with sketchy health track records and they have a weak prospect pool.

I think that team’s window for contention is closed.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Interesting.

Somebody expects the cap to rise in 2 years.

I don't know why I'm so naive to think that the 7-8 year contracts are intended for the elite players on the roster.  Granted they were signed at different times, but Tampa currently has 7 players under 8 year deals and 2 under 7 year deals.  The previous ones I'd consider elite guys on that roster, but these three definitely push the boundaries of that definition.

Edited by shrader
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, shrader said:

I don't know why I'm so naive to think that the 7-8 year contracts are intended for the elite players on the roster.  Granted they were signed at different times, but Tampa currently has 7 players under 8 year deals and 2 under 7 year deals.  The previous ones I'd consider elite guys on that roster, but these three definitely push the boundaries of that definition.

Not sure that Cernak will ever be considered elite, but the other 2 might w/ Sergachev having a very good chance at it.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Not sure that Cernak will ever be considered elite, but the other 2 might w/ Sergachev having a very good chance at it.

I suppose it's a product of having such a deep roster, but I never seen any of these guys ever being the best at their position on the team (an easy claim when two play the same position).  And then there's the 7 year deal they've already given to Paul this year.  That one will never be back breaking in any way, but I just don't understand it.

2 minutes ago, shrader said:

I suppose it's a product of having such a deep roster, but I never seen any of these guys ever being the best at their position on the team (an easy claim when two play the same position).  And then there's the 7 year deal they've already given to Paul this year.  That one will never be back breaking in any way, but I just don't understand it.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I watch the Bolts a lot (my folks live in St. Pete and root for Tampa). Some people think it’s sacrilege to have a second favorite team, but I don’t have a problem with doing that. 

All of this to say that I as a GM would have signed the Cernak & Cirelli deals in an instant. Both are home runs. As a Sabres fan first, I’m jealous. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, nfreeman said:

TT had 38-30-68 last year and turns 25 in October.

If he has, say, 36-36-72 this year, he'll get more next summer than Thomas just got from STL -- and he'll be worth it, since he'll be a no-BS #1 or #2 NHL center who can score it and pass it and who will be just entering his prime.

And at that point we'll likely be glad we didn't give a huge contract to Jack Campbell or Darcy Kuemper.

Every point he scores this year is double as fun as 1 from last year if he hits around the same pace, as each one is proof it’s what we can really expect, more less, going forward. 

REALLY excited to follow Tage’s progress this season. Him and Dahlin probably the most. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Flyers quite literally gave one of the most unusual post UFA day press conferences I’ve ever read about.

They quite literally said they needed a top end forward for their retool and that there was mutual interest in Johnny Hockey. But the cost to open cap was too difficult to create so they got a “One of a kind” Delauries and old man Braun and will see how it goes.

What?!?

Can anyone parse through his double-speak and figure out WTF Philly is up to?

Got a serious kick out of the fact Fletcher made a boatload of trades sending out a myriad of picks in order to make room for Risto and DeAngelo but trading a 1st with JVR even with getting back a 2nd was to much to ask when getting a legitimate star.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I can't argue with a 2 time cup winning formula, if it ain't broke don't fix it...Keep it! I thought the Anthony Cirelli deal was an absolute steal, he is never going to be a Stamkos type goal scorer but he does it all and can still put up 45-50 points a season. That will be a bargain in 2 years plus he's only 24 years old, I really like what TB has done and should be a Cup contender for years to come.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Jack Eichel has now cost Vegas, Pacioretty, Coughlan, Tuch, Krebs, 16 OA and a 2023 2nd 

Vegas had to know when they were dealing for Eichel what it might cost them going forward in terms of cap compliance. They surely had to know this coming season they were going to take a step back.  If that is the case you would think the deal was done primarily for last year....but I don't think anyone had full confidence they would be getting 'fully healthy' Eichel back right away.

It is puzzling why they made that deal.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Yes, but it’s not just that.  They have no stability.  They are churning top-6/top-4 players.  Guys are brought in for just 1-2 years and then shipped out in favor of someone different.  I don’t see how any of the guys there can feel valued or secure unless they have a NMC.

They have squandered their depth through poor asset management and in favor of acquiring a couple extra star players. They are now heavily dependent upon several players on the wrong side of 30, with sketchy health track records and they have a weak prospect pool.

I think that team’s window for contention is closed.

Considering the success that Vegas has had with their franchise so far, they get a bit of a pass.

They have really made 2 bad moves that cost their team/franchise with one being coaching moves and the other in throwing away Fleury

7 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Vegas had to know when they were dealing for Eichel what it might cost them going forward in terms of cap compliance. They surely had to know this coming season they were going to take a step back.  If that is the case you would think the deal was done primarily for last year....but I don't think anyone had full confidence they would be getting 'fully healthy' Eichel back right away.

It is puzzling why they made that deal.

And adding the guy who needed a neck surgery never before done on a hockey player wasn't exactly a "win now" kind of move... or at least not a smart one.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

And adding the guy who needed a neck surgery never before done on a hockey player wasn't exactly a "win now" kind of move... or at least not a smart one.

The last 2 years...I can't figure out who I think is making dumber moves...Vegas or Philly.  I'm still going with Philadelphia. Its not even a matter of not agreeing with their direction...I have NO IDEA what their direction is.

53 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The last 2 years...I can't figure out who I think is making dumber moves...Vegas or Philly.  I'm still going with Philadelphia. Its not even a matter of not agreeing with their direction...I have NO IDEA what their direction is.

It’s refreshing that we’ve apparently graduated from the boneheaded moves category. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I think both franchise's are gonna end up in the futility zone. Depleted pipeline, traded draft picks, bad cap economics. They both may chase mediocrity for awhile more, but eventually the tear down and rebuild has to happen.

I believe we will see 1/2 dozen teams follow a similar path... Chicago literally ripped the band-aid off, so their rebuild will be interesting to watch

With all the talk of the Chicago Blackhawks rebuilding isn't the biggest remaining question Seth Jones?  They paid a big price to get him (July 2021) and signed him to a long term deal to 2027-28 ($9.5M Cap Hit) with NMC.  That's the big contract on the books as both Kane and Toews contracts end after this upcoming season.  Jones can't be happy with the latest developments.  What a difference a year makes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.