Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

I love basketball, hate the NBA... game has become a travesty of 1 on 1 play, no defense and yeh players are selfish... but the latest of them choosing up teams is horrendous foe the teams themselves and cities they play in... still watch college bb but even that is kinda of confusing with schools changing leagues and players going to NBA so early and with amount schools are making off TV so much so they have pay players for using their likeness on the merch it has become a joke... sorry for the rant... love the game hate the sport

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I love basketball, hate the NBA... game has become a travesty of 1 on 1 play, no defense and yeh players are selfish... but the latest of them choosing up teams is horrendous foe the teams themselves and cities they play in... still watch college bb but even that is kinda of confusing with schools changing leagues and players going to NBA so early and with amount schools are making off TV so much so they have pay players for using their likeness on the merch it has become a joke... sorry for the rant... love the game hate the sport

I haven’t followed the NBA since Bird, Magic & Jordan.  Used to love college BB, but the “one and done” crap aggravates me to the point where I don’t follow the regular season at all, and only casually watch the tourney. 

50 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I haven’t followed the NBA since Bird, Magic & Jordan.  Used to love college BB, but the “one and done” crap aggravates me to the point where I don’t follow the regular season at all, and only casually watch the tourney. 

I used to watch the Braves and even had floor seats in the Aud whenever I wanted. The president of my company was on the Braves board and made them available. I had John Shumate end up in my lap and the basketball there too at times. I ended up becoming a Lakers fan mainly due to Magic and the way he played. Stuck with them throughout the Shaq & Kobe days but can't ***** stand them now. Combine the way the game is played today with the players being nothing but mercenary chess pieces and the game will never maintain its popularity. Add their stupid, greedy stances when it comes to human rights and the NBA is on my short list to be first to end up in the Waponi's volcano*.  

*Weird reference to "Joe vs. The Volcano". 

23 hours ago, grinreaper said:

The NBA has turned into a farce of a league. The players are grossly overpaid mercenaries while the owners are fools. It's almost as if they are purposely facilitating the leagues demise. 

Well, you might not like the NBA, but it is an enormously successful league -- much more popular and profitable than the NHL -- where everyone involved is making huge amounts of money.  And calling the owners "fools" is simply denying reality, as revenues and franchise values have skyrocketed.

The NBA's demise isn't coming anytime soon, and if it does arrive, it's highly likely to be well after the NHL's.

18 hours ago, grinreaper said:

I guess I didn't need you to explain to me the financial realities of the NBA. Regardless of the specifics it's obvious that it's a league full of greedy shitheads who will if not now, will eventually turn anyone with a brain against them. Just look at how morally corrupt the NBA is when they run scared of China and the way they have treated the Uyghurs. The players cry about being slaves after signing contracts worth 100's of millions while looking away as these poor people are herded into concentration camps and forced to be China's slaves. This is not a political statement but one about humanity. 

The bolded is obnoxious.

As for your views on morality, the NBA is no more or less morally corrupt than any other sports league.  Has the NHL done anything about the molestation scandal in Chicago or the concussion issue?  Has the NFL done anything about its concussion issue or reduced life expectancy among its players?

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, you might not like the NBA, but it is an enormously successful league -- much more popular and profitable than the NHL -- where everyone involved is making huge amounts of money.  And calling the owners "fools" is simply denying reality, as revenues and franchise values have skyrocketed.

Much of this is due to the NBA's sport basketball having far smaller cost of entry and the league actively peddling to the "modern" proclivities. The NBA has actively become everything that is wrong with this world. Constant action regardless if its needed; players run the league, overtly political, etc.

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

I love basketball, hate the NBA

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I haven’t followed the NBA since Bird, Magic & Jordan.  

19 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Preach.

16 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

No interest at all in the NBA.  

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

Combine the way the game is played today with the players being nothing but mercenary chess pieces and the game will never maintain its popularity.

Holy old men yelling at clouds, Batman. 

In response, I first cede the floor to @nfreeman

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

The NBA's demise isn't coming anytime soon, and if it does arrive, it's highly likely to be well after the NHL's.

My youngest is the in the midst of his teen years and effing loves the NBA. Not sure how it happened. Actually, I think I am sure. Far more than any other North American sports league, the NBA has styled and positioned itself in ways that are uniquely appealing and enthralling to the 'utes. They've done it in myriad ways. The ones that jump out to me is (1) the manner in which they deliver their content (errr where) and (2) how they have allowed and empowered their stars to become brands unto themselves (in this way, the NBA got fully on board with the reality that the internet and social media has allowed kids to become fans of players who play in distant markets). Oh, and don't look now, but, as often as not, the league's stars are coming from outside of the U.S. That league prints money, and it only looks to be growing.

The business of sports entertainment will surely change in ways we cannot predict or even imagine. But if I had to put a ducat on an existing league to survive what is yet to come, I'd put it on the NBA.

I type all of that as someone who doesn't much care for how the game gets played nowadays -- all 3 ball all the time (whither a James Worthy tomahawk in transition?!). In fact, I think that's the NBA's biggest challenge: How to reintroduce some balance to the game. I lightly followed this year's playoffs, and I could not get over how several series were "close" (going 6 or 7 games), but were populated with games that were not at all close.

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Nothing.  KA would view him a a blocker.    Can’t have that, can we?  
[/sarcasm off]

Honestly, as someone completely on the fence about Adams, I can see this.  

Matt T would be a decent pickup but I don't want them selling the farm for him.

Portillo and one of the Cs from this draft maybe?  Or a pick?

Also, why is everyone fleeing Calgary?

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It would certainly be a first a top prospect and an nhl ready guy. If we could do portillo, mitts and a first i'd be all in but likely they'd want peterka or quinn.  

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I don't think he is going anywhere.  The Flames have filed for arbitration in order to keep him a Flame for at least one more year and to prevent any offer sheets from coming in.  The Flames really need to keep him with Johnny flying away.

Just now, aristocrat said:

It would certainly be a first a top prospect and an nhl ready guy. If we could do portillo, mitts and a first i'd be all in but likely they'd want peterka or quinn.  

And that's too much.  That's more than the Sabres got for Reinhart and O'Reilly (once the two guys quit) and almost as much as what the Sabres got for Eichel.  Nope.  I'll wait another year instead.

20 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

What would our offer be?  

He'd be an amazing pickup and I'd imagine many teams would be after him but any trade offers they get will depend on MTs willingness to sign an extension. If he's hell bent on going UFA next summer Calgary won't get much for a rental. In that way, MT will be able to control where he's traded to. Obvious speculation around St Louis but who knows about that.

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

And that's too much.  That's more than the Sabres got for Reinhart and O'Reilly (once the two guys quit) and almost as much as what the Sabres got for Eichel.  Nope.  I'll wait another year instead.

He's not getting to UFA next summer if he's traded now.

In all honesty MT just isn’t worth it. 

1. His contractual ask is going to be akin to 7/8x10mil and besides this past season he has never been enough of a scorer to justify that.

2. His trade ask is going to be enormous and borderline insanity if they convince MT to play ball with CGY’s wishes

3. MT is almost certainly looking to go home and join St. Louis.  (Fascinating seeing as his brother immediately locked up long term with what was a terribly ran franchise and became their captain) I guess Brady was the more adventurous of the brothers.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Eleven said:

If it’s a sign and trade I’d be more ok. Imagine him on a wing with cozens? 

22 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

1. His contractual ask is going to be akin to 7/8x10mil and besides this past season he has never been enough of a scorer to justify that.

2. His trade ask is going to be enormous and borderline insanity if they convince MT to play ball with CGY’s wishes

3. MT is almost certainly looking to go home and join St. Louis.  (Fascinating seeing as his brother immediately locked up long term with what was a terribly ran franchise and became their captain) I guess Brady was the more adventurous of the brothers.

I don’t agree with 3.  Maybe he wants to go to St. Louis, but that’s far from certain.  Maybe he wants to play with his brother in Ottawa.  I also don’t believe that Ottawa projects to be a terribly run franchise going forward.  They have been doing a fine job of building up their team over the past 3-4 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

50 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I think he definitely is worth it. He makes players around him better and makes the team better. Opens up space, draws attention, gets the dirty work done. Yes, he most definitely is at his best combined with a playmaker, and that's exactly what he and whatever team he goes to needs. 

#3. Is possible but I doubt it. No more certain than it was that Johnny Goudreau would end up in Philly. Actually, it's possible MT ends up in Columbus too. 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

If it’s a sign and trade I’d be more ok. Imagine him on a wing with cozens? 

Lottery protect the first and ok.

55 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

He must've told them he was going to UFA, and they've learned their lesson from the Gaudreau debacle.

That stinks for Calgary fans.

Again, why is everyone fleeing Calgary?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.