Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

On 7/19/2022 at 3:57 PM, Eleven said:

Honestly, as someone completely on the fence about Adams, I can see this.  

Matt T would be a decent pickup but I don't want them selling the farm for him.

Portillo and one of the Cs from this draft maybe?  Or a pick?

Also, why is everyone fleeing Calgary?

It's the flames.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

This front page news in Canada.
It is a black stain on hockey players and Hockey Canada, sexual assault of multiple team members on a girl is serious.

The Federal government wants answers because a significant portion of the funding comes from them. There are allegations of a fund set up by Hockey Canada to deal with these issues.

The 7 players have video evidence of consent that was provided to London police for the initial investigation. There are dozens of texts between the girl and a player that were turned over as well.

It seems like the girl was payed off to make this go away.

The NHL is investigating also.

I guess it would be better on a boy? 😀

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Such a wild story. They are slowly narrowing it down to who it was. Of course the players apparently have a consent video from the girl and texts from the following day. She also could have been pressured into that.  

I don't think she was pressured, from what I read.  I do think she may have been drunk, though (yes, I know she stated otherwise on camera).  And she's responsible for that.

We have a problem with this part of our culture right now:  It's either "let women be sexual, don't slut-shame, let them do what they want" or "the guys pressured her."  I have NO idea whatsoever what happened then and there, but it's 50/50 to me that this is post-event regret (especially given the pressure from her mom) / rape.  

• Vomit 1

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

Regardless, anyone rooting for the Sabres had no room to throw shade over that stat.

Why? We went to Conference Final in both 05-06 and 06-07 and even with 11 years without the playoffs we still have a more recent 2nd round visit than the Laffs.

Also just to add to the chuckles, Toronto has never won 3 rounds in the playoffs. Their last Cup run in 1967 had 2 rounds and 6 teams total. They haven't been to the Finals since thus meaning they have never won a 3rd round much less a 4th round (Championship)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Why? We went to Conference Final in both 05-06 and 06-07 and even with 11 years without the playoffs we still have a more recent 2nd round visit than the Laffs.

Also just to add to the chuckles, Toronto has never won 3 rounds in the playoffs. Their last Cup run in 1967 had 2 rounds and 6 teams total. They haven't been to the Finals since thus meaning they have never won a 3rd round much less a 4th round (Championship)

At this point the Leafs are a much more respected organization, and has been for most of the last decade. it is a lofty goal to get to the level of respect even Toronto has.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

At this point the Leafs are a much more respected organization, and has been for most of the last decade. it is a lofty goal to get to the level of respect even Toronto has.

Ya. I mean, you have to be a top 8 team to get into round 2.

You only need to be slightly below average (until recently) to make the playoffs.

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, Weave said:

IIRC, according to the NHL's definition, which was widely accepted AND respected here at the time, Toronto didn't even make the playoffs just two years ago.

With that market, they are a joke.  They're like the 1980s Yankees or the current Dallas Cowboys.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Respected is a very opinion based determination. Also it depends on what is regarded in your “respect” category. For instance both teams are jokes but for different reasons. Additionally, I can’t give much respect for a team that quite literally has unlimited money to work with. (Granted with a cap it does keep a lid on some of it) It’s like the Dodgers or Yankees, when you have every possible opportunity to better your team’s staff, scouting, health etc; it isn’t all that impressive to go to the playoffs year after year with an elite Center and continually fail to advance to anything. 

I read a TSN article today about a CDN Jr team from 03. It recently came to light that team sexually assaulted a woman. Says there's a video of approximately six players having sex with a woman who's unresponsive and face up on a pool table. 

I'm really surprised Hockey Canada isn't getting discussed more on here. 

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

I read a TSN article today about a CDN Jr team from 03. It recently came to light that team sexually assaulted a woman. Says there's a video of approximately six players having sex with a woman who's unresponsive and face up on a pool table. 

Too busy crapping on the NBA for not taking on China.

17 minutes ago, Hank said:

My guess is it’s partially due to the Canada/American divide, partially due to most people not really wanting to hear about it, and partially an almost numbing effect from the sudden frequency they’ve been coming out as of late.

To me this 03’ one is a tad absurd; the crime is awful but it happened 19 years ago and seemingly only came out of the woodwork due to the other cases. Why now exactly?

Part of me wants justice, and another part of me just sees this as a mud-raking affair against hockey Canada. To which I fear the eventual reaction will turn Hockey Canada into the most over the top “Woke” sport organization where trash talk is banned, they actively inundate us with Women’s hockey news like how ESPN obsesses over the WNBA and coaches are essentially forced to coddle players regardless of circumstances because yelling at any of them may offend or hurt someone’s feelings. Sometimes people need a figurative kick in the ass to become a good player. Hockey Canada like USA Hockey should in part be looking to bring the best out of players and draw upon competition to perfect it. Not tell everyone that playing hard is mean to your opponent and you should ease up to not hurt their feelings.

Rant over.

I guess in the end I don’t want this onslaught of sexual allegations to effect hockey like it has in most sectors. Instead of reforming and striking out the misbehaviors; they wildly overcompensate and try to “womanize” or worse water everything down to critique equals sexism and competition is wrong. (The Video game and YouTube media industry has been plagued by this and the usual response is to either kill everything or fundamentally change everything regardless of its involvement in the problem to begin with)

Edited by thewookie1
  • Disagree 1

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

To me this 03’ one is a tad absurd; the crime is awful but it happened 19 years ago and seemingly only came out of the woodwork due to the other cases. Why now exactly?

Again, this is just me...

Just as there are a lot of reasons to consider whether a victim is telling the truth about something more recent, there also are a lot of reasons to consider a victim who was harmed in the past.  It is difficult for victims to come forward, and it is something that maybe a younger person can't handle.

I know a lot of alleged victims and a lot of alleged perpetrators.  I know that some of them (both groups) weren't believed, and I know that some of them were (again, both groups), and their experiences are just as divergent.

Again, it's a weird tightrope.  

That the guys currently accused followed the accepted protocol of recording consent, well, that only makes me sad for everyone--I do mean everyone--involved.

Edited by Eleven

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.