Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

2 minutes ago, Contempt said:

We know this based on what?

The Jack Eichel trade. 

Top prospect (krebs), good young forward (tuch), and a 1st and 2nd round pick. 

So Quinn (prospect), Cozens(young forward), and a 1st is a good starting point. 

6 minutes ago, Contempt said:

We know this based on what?

Oh realizing you meant the bold, my bad. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think he definitely is worth it. He makes players around him better and makes the team better. Opens up space, draws attention, gets the dirty work done. Yes, he most definitely is at his best combined with a playmaker, and that's exactly what he and whatever team he goes to needs. 

#3. Is possible but I doubt it. No more certain than it was that Johnny Goudreau would end up in Philly. Actually, it's possible MT ends up in Columbus too. 

Yeh send them Portillo, Krebs and one of this year's firsts

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

MT is all about MT. Talented? Hell yes! Team first kinda guy? Nope.

Calgary would want Quinn, Cozens, and a 2023 1st. And probably more.

I kinda agree. I have very little interest in him.

IF you could get him with a deal that doesn't take away too much, and more importantly, a long term contract that isn't way too high then maybe.  But that is the problem he is the kind of guy that has shown he is all about getting the most for himself.  

He'd make the team better on the ice, but what are you giving up for him?  Is what you are giving up in the long term going to be more than what he gives you back? Even if it wasn't, he's just not the type of player I like.  If he was a Sabre sure I'd want him to do well, but it would be only because he was a Sabre, not because he would be likeable at all to me.

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

He must've told them he was going to UFA, and they've learned their lesson from the Gaudreau debacle.

That stinks for Calgary fans.

That is about equivalent to Drury-Briere.  Calgary Fans will be lamenting 2022 for a decade. Or more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Is anyone else following the 2018 Canadian u20 sexual assault and hockey Canada story? Players from that team are now releasing statements if they weren't involved. 

First I heard of it was on Twitter about 20 minutes ago.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

That is about equivalent to Drury-Briere.  Calgary Fans will be lamenting 2022 for a decade. Or more.

Yes, unless they get a good return in trade for Tkachuk.  But with only a year left on his contract, odds are it won't cushion the blow much.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Wonder if there are any Sabres properties that were on that 2018 London team?

Kale Clague was on the u20 team. That's it for Buffalo, because 2018 coincides with Botteril being in the midst of his chl avoidance (where most of team Canada comes from). 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kale Clague was on the u20 team. That's it for Buffalo, because 2018 coincides with Botteril being in the midst of his chl avoidance (where most of team Canada comes from). 

What if that was his true reasoning for avoiding them?

Also some people are guessing 2 of the guilty parties are Formenton and Batherson on Ottawa due to their age being mentioned in the original story and only 3 players remain from that birth year. 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

What if that was his true reasoning for avoiding them?

Also some people are guessing 2 of the guilty parties are Formenton and Batherson on Ottawa due to their age being mentioned in the original story and only 3 players remain from that birth year. 

Botteril avoided drafting players in 2017 and summer 2018 that might have done something bad in winter 2018, after he would have drafted them? 

3 hours ago, kas23 said:

I would also paste all the unsportsmanlike plays too (stealing Burns stick, Perry’s stick, breaking his stick over Foote, etc), but don’t want to clog up the thread. 

If this is what you've got for being a selfish player, ok.  As for the extra curricular stuff he gets into I'm of the opinion it's a plus.  Give me him and Kadri both.  I'm tired of the whining about Brad Marchand, etc. Give me some of that. I don't want 23 Lady Byng candidates.

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Jack Eichel trade. 

Top prospect (krebs), good young forward (tuch), and a 1st and 2nd round pick. 

So Quinn (prospect), Cozens(young forward), and a 1st is a good starting point. 

Oh realizing you meant the bold, my bad. 

Just as maybe Vegas feels now, giving away 3 or 4 quality pieces for 1 isn’t good business

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Just as maybe Vegas feels now, giving away 3 or 4 quality pieces for 1 isn’t good business

Sometime it is good business, sometime it isn't.

If your fanbase needs a jolt (reason to come to the Arena because you aren't selling out, Jersey sales), AND that player is one who can legit carry your team, it is usually a good move.

When you are up against the cap AND you are buying a guy who is possibly damaged physically (at least short term) AND you are already selling out your games, not so much.

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Is anyone else following the 2018 Canadian u20 sexual assault and hockey Canada story? Players from that team are now releasing statements if they weren't involved. 

This front page news in Canada.
It is a black stain on hockey players and Hockey Canada, sexual assault of multiple team members on a girl is serious.

The Federal government wants answers because a significant portion of the funding comes from them. There are allegations of a fund set up by Hockey Canada to deal with these issues.

The 7 players have video evidence of consent that was provided to London police for the initial investigation. There are dozens of texts between the girl and a player that were turned over as well.

It seems like the girl was payed off to make this go away.

The NHL is investigating also.

• Shocked 1

17 hours ago, nfreeman said:

He must've told them he was going to UFA, and they've learned their lesson from the Gaudreau debacle.

That stinks for Calgary fans.

it is a bummer - i love watching games in that arena. electric. (and very red.)

16 hours ago, Eleven said:

Again, why is everyone fleeing Calgary?

Robert Downey Jr Reaction GIF

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Sometime it is good business, sometime it isn't.

If your fanbase needs a jolt (reason to come to the Arena because you aren't selling out, Jersey sales), AND that player is one who can legit carry your team, it is usually a good move.

When you are up against the cap AND you are buying a guy who is possibly damaged physically (at least short term) AND you are already selling out your games, not so much.

I don't see Matthew Tkachuk as a guy that will "carry the team"  Had a great year last year but the year before had 16 goals.   Which Tkachuk are you getting? I can't answer this but how much of his production last year was riding on Johnny Hockey's coattails? He is supposed to be a "playoff" type guy but followed up his Hat-trick in game 1 vs Edmonton with 1 assist in the next 4.

If the cost is Quinn, Savoie and next years first then I would hope the Sabres stay the course and move on.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

I don't see Matthew Tkachuk as a guy that will "carry the team"  Had a great year last year but the year before had 16 goals.   Which Tkachuk are you getting? I can't answer this but how much of his production last year was riding on Johnny Hockey's coattails? He is supposed to be a "playoff" type guy but followed up his Hat-trick in game 1 vs Edmonton with 1 assist in the next 4.

If the cost is Quinn, Savoie and next years first then I would hope the Sabres stay the course and move on.

I agree. 

He is a very good player, and he had a great year, but what are you paying for? A guy who in the last 4 years finished 9th in goals one year, and then well down the list in every other year.  I'm interested to see where he gets traded, because if he is going to a top 5 team and he puts them over the top then good for him, but anything other than a top 5 team who can win the cup next year, I have a feeling that whoever trades for him and pays him will have regrets a couple years into his new deal.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Eleven said:

Also, why is everyone fleeing Calgary?

Nothing against Calgary as a city, there are some things there that are nice I'm sure and the city has personality, but there is a lot going against it:

-Canadian City.  You have to deal with the Canadian Dollar, and both Tkachuk and Johnny G are from the USA.

-Travel, when you pay for Calgary, you have a LOT of travel. You visit 1 team that has less than 60 minutes in the air in a Flight (Edmonton). For Family/friends from other areas of North America, there are few places you can get a direct flight from to visit you/see you play.  Other than Edmonton, you have no NHL cities within less than a 10 hour drive/1 hour flight.  By comparison, Buffalo (and a lot of other NHL cities probably) have 1/3 of the entire league in less than that distance.

-Weather. Sure, as a player you are traveling a lot and working, but your family?  Either they don't live with you for 1/2 the year, or during the season, they live in an area where the temperatures can be Brutal (much worse than Buffalo, Toronto, Chicago, Boston, etc)  Sure if you are a young Canadian Boy who is used to it and is from the area fine, but try telling your wife/kids/family who didn't group up in that area they have to stay there for the next 6-8 years when there are other options.

This doesn't mean that no-one will play there, they will, but there will be times where you are going to have young guys who want to move on when they have a chance to, more so here than in other cities.

21 hours ago, Eleven said:

Honestly, as someone completely on the fence about Adams, I can see this.  

Matt T would be a decent pickup but I don't want them selling the farm for him.

Portillo and one of the Cs from this draft maybe?  Or a pick?

Also, why is everyone fleeing Calgary?

In talking to some people who live in the area and are naturally fans a few noted items:

Canada's COVID policy did not sit well with some players, especially US born.

The Arena is a dump and apparently the mayor or some governmental official just reneged on a deal to improve it or something to the like

Weather, travel, management.  Overall, sounds like a lot of issues.

Sorry for not being more specific.. the conversation was a few days ago and I just recall the gist.  The people were not surprised, not happy about it, but blame the team more than the player. Now, I am sure others will be all over the player.

15 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This is shaping up to be a Grade A mess. The good thing is that it's coming to light and you have to hope that it improves how future events are handled, or better yet, dissuades people from creating situations that lead to these events.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.