Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

31 minutes ago, Digger said:

With all the talk of the Chicago Blackhawks rebuilding isn't the biggest remaining question Seth Jones?  They paid a big price to get him (July 2021) and signed him to a long term deal to 2027-28 ($9.5M Cap Hit) with NMC.  That's the big contract on the books as both Kane and Toews contracts end after this upcoming season.  Jones can't be happy with the latest developments.  What a difference a year makes.

Still curious just how happy McCabe is w/ the turn of events there.  Totally get the "happy wife, happy life" mantra; but at some point he has to be wondering what playoff hockey might be like, right?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

Any interest in Toews and Murphy from Chicago??

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/3466873

Not really.

I'm willing to go into camp and maybe the beginning of the season with what his here. If, IF something falls in your lap (you are offered a deal you cannot believe how good it is), then maybe you take that...no idea what that would look like though.

Other than that, keep your flexibility. As the season develops leading up to the trade deadline, there will be injuries to other teams they want to fill...there will be teams that were hoping to compete who will not and might be willing to sell. Keep your flexibility while seeing how what you have develops.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Not really.

I'm willing to go into camp and maybe the beginning of the season with what his here. If, IF something falls in your lap (you are offered a deal you cannot believe how good it is), then maybe you take that...no idea what that would look like though.

Other than that, keep your flexibility. As the season develops leading up to the trade deadline, there will be injuries to other teams they want to fill...there will be teams that were hoping to compete who will not and might be willing to sell. Keep your flexibility while seeing how what you have develops.

Right now, they're sitting ~$19MM below the cap.  Whether it be through players that help now or stuff that will help in the future want to see at least 1/2 that used.    Anymore than that left in April & it's a total waste of an asset.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Devils just got a little better 

Yeah.  Everyone is mentioning the Otters, Wings, & BJs as additional competition for a playoffs spot.  But Joisey has made some nice moves this off-season too.  Going to be much easier to make the playoffs in the West IMHO.

Moe-ray-all & Filly are the only 2 pushovers left in the East.  (MAYBE the Aisles drift down to that level too, but doubt it.)

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah.  Everyone is mentioning the Otters, Wings, & BJs as additional competition for a playoffs spot.  But Joisey has made some nice moves this off-season too.  Going to be much easier to make the playoffs in the West IMHO.

Moe-ray-all & Filly are the only 2 pushovers left in the East.  (MAYBE the Aisles drift down to that level too, but doubt it.)

The lower level teams getting better will mean fewer wins for the top teams. There probably won’t be 8 100 point teams in the East.

Also, Leafs goaltending is worse, Tampa lost McDonagh and Palat. Florida lost Marchment and Giroux.

24 minutes ago, French Collection said:

The lower level teams getting better will mean fewer wins for the top teams. There probably won’t be 8 100 point teams in the East.

Also, Leafs goaltending is worse, Tampa lost McDonagh and Palat. Florida lost Marchment and Giroux.

There definitely won't be 8 100 point teams unless the East teams pretty much treat the West teams like they did back in '67.  Can't see there being that much dominance cross conference though the East will will the bulk of the matchups.

All the top East teams took at least as small hit on paper (not sure that's true for Carolina & the Rags, haven't seen their moves, but expect it will be for at least the Rags w/ them losing Copp & their backup goalie) & most of the has been have improved on paper.

It should be fun to watch this year as there will be a lot of good hockey in the MMArena this year.

35 minutes ago, French Collection said:

If I was betting an over/under on the Eastern playoff teams using their points from last season, I might go under on all of them. 

Peter Baugh of The Athletic: Five potential destinations for the Nazem Kadri and some long shots:

"Colorado Avalanche – They’d need to move out salary – J.T. Compher or Samuel Girard. They still need some cap flexibility with Nathan MacKinnon needing an extension

New York Islanders – Would also need to clear some cap space – Josh Bailey or Anthony Beauvillier.

Calgary Flames – They have the cap space but would he want to go there?

Nashville Predators – Still have some cap room. He wouldn’t make them a serious contender but would put them closer.

Seattle Kraken – Have two first-rounds in Matty Benier and Shane Wright but Kadri could help ease the transition. Have the cap space and are willing to spend.

The long shots – Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks and the Ottawa Senators."

23 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Peter Baugh of The Athletic: Five potential destinations for the Nazem Kadri and some long shots:

"Colorado Avalanche – They’d need to move out salary – J.T. Compher or Samuel Girard. They still need some cap flexibility with Nathan MacKinnon needing an extension

New York Islanders – Would also need to clear some cap space – Josh Bailey or Anthony Beauvillier.

Nashville Predators – Still have some cap room. He wouldn’t make them a serious contender but would put them closer.

Seattle Kraken – Have two first-rounds in Matty Benier and Shane Wright but Kadri could help ease the transition. Have the cap space and are willing to spend.

The long shots – Buffalo Sabres, Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks and the Ottawa Senators."

Compher or Beauvillier would be nice here.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

For the price and term Qadri can command, I think that I would rather get the players other teams would have to move to fit him in instead of Qadri.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

For the price and term Qadri can command, I think that I would rather get the players other teams would have to move to fit him in instead of Qadri.

I was thinking the same thing as much as I'd like to have him at his age wouldnt give him more than 2 years.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

How old can PIttsburgh get?

Obviously feel they are close enough to give it another kick at the can (or two) until Crosby retires and then tear it all down. 

I think we should be all in on helping a team clear that cap space for Kadri. Could pick up a nice asset there like Girard or Compher (who we should have always had). 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They should have traded Crosby instead of continually trying to re-built around him on the fly. 

Heard one of the hosts on NHL Sirius a few days ago say that “putting the band back together” for the Pens is a terrible idea.  I may have the numbers wrong that he quoted, but they were something like…have not made it out of the 1st round since last winning the cup, and over that same period they are 13-22 in the playoffs. 

I agree with this 100%. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They should have traded Crosby instead of continually trying to re-built around him on the fly. 

Fans have no loyalty and then wonder why the players have no loyalty.  Crosby should retire a Penguin.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.