Around the NHL: 2022 Off-season

That Aud Smell

30 minutes ago, Weave said:

Fans have no loyalty and then wonder why the players have no loyalty.  Crosby should retire a Penguin.

Doesn’t mean they had to bring back Malkin, Letang, etc….

I agree with you on Crosby…even though I wonder how much he is dictating to management on who should be brought back. 

15 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not at all. It's a business 

Indeed, but Crosby is still one of the best players in the league, and Pitt is still a playoff team, and once you get in the playoffs, anything can happen.

Dominik was 36 when he forced the Sabres to trade him to Detroit.  The Sabres had no choice at that point, but if Dom had been willing to stay, wouldn't the Sabres have been better off keeping him and extending that era, in which they made it to the conf. finals, the finals and the 2nd round (and were 30 seconds away from another conf. finals that year)?

I also think there's a legit argument to be made that trading an all-timer like Crosby in a bloodless, machiavellian manner is bad for business.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They should have traded Crosby instead of continually trying to re-built around him on the fly. 

I think this is only logical if one takes the position that anything less than a Stanley Cup is failure.  The Penguins have been, for a few seasons now, long-shot contenders.  They have still been a really good NHL team though.  They will fall off the cliff eventually, but I don't think it will be for a couple of years.  Though aging, they still have high-end talent and decent depth and Sullivan is a very good coach.

There are some who will take the position that if you aren't 1st you might as well be last.  Me, I would gladly take a few years of cup runs followed by 5-6 more years of watching Dahlin, Power, Cozens, Thompson, Mitts, et al play on 100+ point teams with the hope that maybe there is one more "lightning in a bottle" season.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Fans have no loyalty and then wonder why the players have no loyalty.  Crosby should retire a Penguin.

Yeah. Getting rid of him is insane. It’s sports. He is a useful player. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They should have traded Crosby instead of continually trying to re-built around him on the fly. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Agree, the fans should cherish Crosby.  His like is not often seen.

I imagine that if I was a penguins fan, seeing Crosby in another sweater would be hard to see.

49 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Not at all. It's a business 

For the fans, and players too, it’s more than that.  There is a strong emotional element.

24 minutes ago, Curt said:

Agree, the fans should cherish Crosby.  His like is not often seen.

I imagine that if I was a penguins fan, seeing Crosby in another sweater would be hard to see.

For the fans, and players too, it’s more than that.  There is a strong emotional element.

Should we have traded Perreault before the team collapsed and we drafted Turgeon?

Hell no.  Some players just need to be lifers.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Weave said:

For me it is the other way around. Personally I always had loyalty to the player. Never wanted to see them traded. Bruce and Thurman and Andre should have been life long Bills and I blamed the franchise for not making that happen. However, that has changed a bit for myself.  I think it started with the NBA..I just have gotten so tired of hearing players tell fans (through the media) how the players don't view themselves and just 'players' but they need to treat themselves as businesses.  Like Kevin Durant getting a huge deal from the Nets and then one year later trying to force a trade to another contender because it is a 'business'.  

I know this can go both ways, but I used to always side with the players.  That is changing for me. In the end, players come and go no matter what, it is the city/team that I end up rooting for the most. I don't want to see my team hold onto or give into any player 'too much' at the expense of the team.

55 minutes ago, Weave said:

Should we have traded Perreault before the team collapsed and we drafted Turgeon?

If Edmonton had wanted him, I would have traded Perreault to the Oilers as a favour.

23 hours ago, Weave said:

Didn't 11 retire the year before we drafted Pierre?  He was finishing his fantastic career in the tailspin to oblivion.

I still sometimes wonder how Pierre and his wife and children are making out after the tragedy.  Dominic is making a career in professional hockey (mostly AHL, I think).

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

For me it is the other way around. Personally I always had loyalty to the player. Never wanted to see them traded. Bruce and Thurman and Andre should have been life long Bills and I blamed the franchise for not making that happen. However, that has changed a bit for myself.  I think it started with the NBA..I just have gotten so tired of hearing players tell fans (through the media) how the players don't view themselves and just 'players' but they need to treat themselves as businesses.  Like Kevin Durant getting a huge deal from the Nets and then one year later trying to force a trade to another contender because it is a 'business'.  

I know this can go both ways, but I used to always side with the players.  That is changing for me. In the end, players come and go no matter what, it is the city/team that I end up rooting for the most. I don't want to see my team hold onto or give into any player 'too much' at the expense of the team.

The NBA has turned into a farce of a league. The players are grossly overpaid mercenaries while the owners are fools. It's almost as if they are purposely facilitating the leagues demise. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

The NBA has turned into a farce of a league. The players are grossly overpaid mercenaries while the owners are fools. It's almost as if they are purposely facilitating the leagues demise. 

Salaries are based on revenues. There are a max of 15 guys on a roster, only 7 or 8 really play a lot of minutes and usually only 2 or 3 that make ridiculous money. What makes them overpaid compared to players in other sports?  The salary cap rules are way more complex than other sports and allow for several exceptions but that isn't new at all. Given those exceptions just about everyone can be over the cap most years but even if you took next year's cap figure of ~$150M and divided among 15 guys those salaries are going to be wayyyy higher than those of the NHL who have rosters of 23 guys and a cap of only $81.5M.

The NBA generated about 10 billion in revenue last season, the NHL generated half of that.

Understand, I don't care for the NBA product either, but a LOT of people around the world do.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, shrader said:

And the vast majority of people are idiots.  That's not to claim that intelligence and watching bouncyball are mutually exclusive.

You know the funny thing about that is most people say "the majority of people are idiots" and so if they are idiots saying everyone's an idiot does that mean actually everybody's smart? 🙂

Sports are escapism and entertainment, bouncyball included. None of it is important, hockey's just not as popular (outside of Canada where it rules). 

2 hours ago, Contempt said:

Salaries are based on revenues. There are a max of 15 guys on a roster, only 7 or 8 really play a lot of minutes and usually only 2 or 3 that make ridiculous money. What makes them overpaid compared to players in other sports?  The salary cap rules are way more complex than other sports and allow for several exceptions but that isn't new at all. Given those exceptions just about everyone can be over the cap most years but even if you took next year's cap figure of ~$150M and divided among 15 guys those salaries are going to be wayyyy higher than those of the NHL who have rosters of 23 guys and a cap of only $81.5M.

The NBA generated about 10 billion in revenue last season, the NHL generated half of that.

Understand, I don't care for the NBA product either, but a LOT of people around the world do.

I guess I didn't need you to explain to me the financial realities of the NBA. Regardless of the specifics it's obvious that it's a league full of greedy shitheads who will if not now, will eventually turn anyone with a brain against them. Just look at how morally corrupt the NBA is when they run scared of China and the way they have treated the Uyghurs. The players cry about being slaves after signing contracts worth 100's of millions while looking away as these poor people are herded into concentration camps and forced to be China's slaves. This is not a political statement but one about humanity. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

I guess I didn't need you to explain to me the financial realities of the NBA. Regardless of the specifics it's obvious that it's a league full of greedy shitheads who will if not now, will eventually turn anyone with a brain against them. Just look at how morally corrupt the NBA is when they run scared of China and the way they have treated the Uyghurs. The players cry about being slaves after signing contracts worth 100's of millions while looking away as these poor people are herded into concentration camps and forced to be China's slaves. This is not a political statement but one about humanity. 

Preach.

2 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Corporate shitheads gonna corporate shithead.  There are plenty of things that are wrong in this country and all of the major leagues and major corporations generally keep well clear of it. Every time they, or the players don't, there is a large group of people more than happy to tell them just to just up and play and stop polluting their entertainment with politics. There is still a large group of people who are more than happy to gloat that Colin Kaepernick got run out of the league because he said things that challenged their beliefs and wore a pair of socks that made them sad.  The NHL just last year drafted an absolute turd of a human being who was convicted of abusing a person with special needs. People on this board defended his right to, and I'm paraphrasing, grow as a human and learn from his mistakes.  If you're going to go all in on the lack of morality in the world, go right ahead, but singling out the NBA and/or its players misses the mark by quite a lot.

1 hour ago, grinreaper said:

Not sure I understand this since you gave me a "like" on the same post above. 

Just re-inforcing your point.  In particular, I like how you put the issue.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.