GDT: Capitals @ Sabres 12/11 @7 pm

bob_sauve28

The Washington Capitals and the Buffalo Sabres meet in NHL action from KeyBank Arena on Saturday night.

The Washington Capitals come into this game fresh off of a 4-2 loss at the hands of the Pittsburgh Penguins in their last game. Alex Ovechkin leads the Caps in scoring with 43 points including a team-high 20 goals and 23 assists while Evgeny Kuznetsov has 29 points with 20 assists. Tom Wilson has 24 points with 9 goals and 15 assists and John Carlson’s got 24 points as well with 6 goals and 18 apples. Ilya Samsonov has gone 11-2-1 with a 2.43 GAA and a .915 save percentage for the Caps while Vitek Vanecek is 4-3-5 with a 2.56 GAA and a .905 save percentage.

The Buffalo Sabres will look to snap a six-game losing streak after a 2-1 loss at the hands of the New York Rangers last time out. Kyle Okposo leads the Sabres in scoring with 18 points including 6 goals and 12 assists while Tage Thompson has 16 points with a team-high 10 goals and Jeff Skinner has 16 points of his own split between 8 goals and 8 assists. Rasmus Dahlin has 15 points with a team-high 12 assists while year. Dustin Tokarski’s gone 4-5-3 with a 3.28 GAA and a .903 save percentage in goal for Buffalo while Aaron Dell is 0-5 with a 4.52 GAA and an .872 save percentage.

Washington is 21-10 in their last 31 games against a team with a losing record and 11-5 in their last 16 games overall while the over is 5-0 in their last 5 games against a team with a losing record. Buffalo is 17-49 in their last 66 games overall and 11-27 in their last 38 games as a home underdog while the over is 6-1 in their last 7 games against a team with a winning record.

Normally I could try to make a case for a home dog in certain spots, but this is not one of them. The Sabres at one point could only win at home, and now even that’s a reach. Washington’s playing some of their best hockey over the last couple of weeks and I think the Caps ice the Sabres with a win on the -1.5 puck line here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• spndnchz changed the title to GDT: Capitals @ Sabres 12/11 @7 pm

Don’t know who is in net but it won’t be UPL.  

We don’t match up in any part of the game with the Caps.  I can’t see a win here.  Dec 11th and the slide continues with little hope.   We are heading to bottom 3. 

I  hate what has become of this team.   I’m watching it and getting more bitter. 

6BCBADD0-13E3-43AD-9E83-E218F6E864C0.thumb.jpeg.3407fc1bdd465a23a549878927f440dd.jpeg

^ You two have destroyed my favorite team. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Last night’s effort can keep them in this game, if they get some NHL level goaltending. UPL was solid yesterday, I would start him again instead of Dell.

I can’t wait for Mule to be up with the Sabres, he would be a solid addition and would help curb the other team’s feistiness.

• Like (+1) 2

Tonight's matchup

Washington comes to town on the heels of a 4-2 loss to Pittsburgh on Friday. Defenseman Martin Fehervary and forward Tom Wilson both left the game with injuries. 

The Capitals sit second to the Rangers in the Metropolitan Division with 38 points despite playing without star forwards T.J. Oshie and Nicklas Backstrom, the latter of whom has not played yet this season. Alex Ovechkin ranks second in the NHL with 20 goals and is tied for 43 points. 

The ageless Ovechkin - on pace to set a career-high in points - needs one power-play goal to tie the NHL's all-time record set by Sabres Hall of Famer Dave Andreychuk. 

This is the second of three matchups between the Sabres and Capitals this season. The Capitals won 5-3 in D.C. on Nov. 8 behind a two-goal outing from Wilson. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

They are playing well enough to be entertaining. Watching Cozens get better is quite pleasant to watch. Watching Tage blossom this year has been fun. 

Loved his attitude last night.  Especially at the end of the game after the slew foot from Goodrow.  That dude needs a ***** pounding.  The slash to the back of the legs is just a primer.  

• Like (+1) 6

I know it's not a Rick night, but he's worth the tune-in. I might be crazy, but from what I've heard this season (work schedule has been uncannily against me, and I have a tough time watching a recorded game "live"), he's enjoying a renaissance. Goal calls of late have been much closer to Rick Prime (or at least Rick Still Really Good). He's getting more names, he's not losing the play as much. He sounds really, really comfortable, like he could do this forever. I really hope he and the team come to some compromise after the season. He can't go away. He just can't. Let him call a home game a month or something. If the team has a chance to win a playoff series, let him call the game for future release or something, while Dan or whoever still gets to do it live.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

I missed last night's game, but it looks like it didn't have any controversy or anything interesting happening, so that's fine....   Will also miss tonight's game, but if Dell or Subban starts, at least the entertainment will be in watching to see how many Ovechkin can net in his Gretzky chase. That should be fun.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I missed last night's game, but it looks like it didn't have any controversy or anything interesting happening, so that's fine....   Will also miss tonight's game, but if Dell or Subban starts, at least the entertainment will be in watching to see how many Ovechkin can net in his Gretzky chase. That should be fun.

No controversy ?   There was plenty of controversy.  We had a goal overturned. The league came back today and said they made the wrong call. 

The game ended with a scrum after Goodrow took a cheap shot on Cozens. 

Edited by Pimlach

14 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

No controversy ?   There was prof controversy.  We had a goal overturned. The league came back today and said they made the wrong call. 

The game ended with a scrum after Goodrow took a cheap shot on Cozens. 

ENABLE SARCASM DETECTORS TO SPOCK 9!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.