Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’d much rather have an ROR or Bergeron vs an Ekblad.  Nothing I’ve read says Power is a future Hedman.  Nice player who will play in the NHL 10-15 years, but I don’t see him changing the future of this franchise especially with our depth at young D.  Berniers is more likely to be a difference maker for us and we lack any center prospects of note.  

Next year 5 of the 10 top prospects play Center. They can find prospects next year.

IF Eichel and Samson come back they have 4 guys under 26 who can play center. If they are traded, I would hope that at least 1 Center comes back. 

A majority of scouts and scouting services have Power as the clear the top prospect, the Sabres should and will take him.

both Bergeron and ROR were 2nd round picks - they can be found later in the draft.

WIth Beniers injury, maybe he slids and the Sabres can still figure a way to get him.

51 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about don’t draft Powers because he’s Aaron Ekblad 2.

Ekblad isn't bad, he slumped after a few concussions but was very good this year.

I'd love the ability to throw Dahlin and Ekblad at opposing teams either as a pair or on separate pairs. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Next year 5 of the 10 top prospects play Center. They can find prospects next year.

IF Eichel and Samson come back they have 4 guys under 26 who can play center. If they are traded, I would hope that at least 1 Center comes back. 

A majority of scouts and scouting services have Power as the clear the top prospect, the Sabres should and will take him.

both Bergeron and ROR were 2nd round picks - they can be found later in the draft.

WIth Beniers injury, maybe he slids and the Sabres can still figure a way to get him.

What do most people on this site want?  That is the return of ROR.  Here is a legit chance to replace him and now they want an Aaron Ekblad clone instead.  Frankly it makes no sense.  Odds right now are against one or both Jack and ROR returning and Beniers also can play on the wing if they do. 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What do most people on this site want?  That is the return of ROR.  Here is a legit chance to replace him and now they want an Aaron Ekblad clone instead.  Frankly it makes no sense.  Odds right now are against one or both Jack and ROR returning and Beniers also can play on the wing if they do. 

ROR is returning?!? lol

I won't be angry with Beniers or Power; both are highly solid and safe draft picks. I need to know how serious Beniers' ankle injury is however

Can we stop plugging 17 year old players numbers into a computer algorithm and deciding that is their only possible future as an NHL player.  These players are playing in different situation from each other, especially this year. These guys get bigger, stronger, faster.  Development isn’t linear and real life issues come into play like injuries, desire, so forth.

I have no issue with it as a tool but it is by no means a final determination of what type of players these kids will develop into.

Bergeron is one of the greatest two way centres ever.  Boston didn’t know this when they grabbed him in the second round.  The liked his potential as a prospect and he developed. ROR fell because of his skating.  He developed it to a level where it helped him turn into the player he is today. Same with Point. TB didn’t think they had a superstar in the 3rd round but he developed his skating to a point where his game skyrocketed at the NHL level. He always had the talent but being small and not a great skater dropped him.

Ekblad came into the league with a man’s body. Injuries have slowed him down but he would probably be the Norris Trophy winner this year without the injury.  Power doesn’t have a man’s body yet. He is huge but still filling out. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about we stop labelling him as player x or player y.   

He's bigger, more skilled, and a smarter player than Ekblad was at his age.    

Beniers is JT Compher 2.0 tho 🙂

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Am I wrong to see Power as the combination of the best qualities of Samuelsson and Johnson with a tad more offence?

Is it wrong to project him as the guy always on the ice when you are up a goal, playing against the other teams top forwards?

If that is the description that is who I want.  We haven’t had that since....

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

i want them to take the best player regardless of position   this year thats hands down Power

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This board is 90-95% on board with taking Power. The 5% who have spoken against him or suggested someone else have been LOUDLY shouted down and told basically that they are ***** idiots. 

Best part is I like Power as a player a lot but when we draft him and I say that I will get to listen to all the BS and venom I do when Ryan Johnson comes up. So very excited for Power to be a Sabre because I wont be allowed to enjoy a good player for the simply reason I put another player above him in my personal opinion.

You question anything about Power and you get "he's the BPA" so shut it. 

This is probably a mostly fair assessment of the board but it wasn’t that way maybe a month ago. There was a lot more anti-Power sentiment then and things definitely changed more once the lottery hit and it set in that there’s probably a 90% chance he’s a Sabre now.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we get Aaron Ekblad out of him I’d be ecstatic

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I actually think it’s easier to find D in later rounds than C’s.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Can we stop plugging 17 year old players numbers into a computer algorithm and deciding that is their only possible future as an NHL player.  These players are playing in different situation from each other, especially this year. These guys get bigger, stronger, faster.  Development isn’t linear and real life issues come into play like injuries, desire, so forth.

I have no issue with it as a tool but it is by no means a final determination of what type of players these kids will develop into.

Who upset you?  Who is doing this?

Is anyone actually using a single number to decide their stance on prospects’ future?

Edited by Curt

17 hours ago, dudacek said:

So Quinn and Peterka and Thompson and Mittelstadt and Cozens (not to mention Eichel, Reinhart or their returns) aren’t reasons for not drafting a forward, but Samuelsson and Johnson mean drafting a defenceman is a mistake?

Not following your reasoning there.

I have no idea who the best player is, but if there is a player who is better than the rest, that’s the one I want, regardless of position.

You don’t not draft Malkin because you have Crosby. 

There being only 3 spots on the team Power could fill, and really, 2, or why bother picking him, and many more potential top 6 spots for the F to fill, could have something to do with it.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't get this though. Ekblad is really good

I believe he's an upper echelon player in terms of wins above replacement last several years 

Power becoming Ekblad would be a slam dunk, that'd be a good ceiling and I'd be happy with the pick in that case

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I don't get this though. Ekblad is really good

I believe he's an upper echelon player in terms of wins above replacement last several years 

I wonder if the insinuation there was that this draft has a Draisaitl in it behind Ekblad? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to me.

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Barf. just barf

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I wonder if the insinuation there was that this draft has a Draisaitl in it behind Ekblad? Otherwise it doesn’t make sense to me.

That would make sense but it didn't read that way to me

40 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m having a major brain cramp, and everytime I think about Power, I try and remember who it was...

Who was the poster who was convinced that Tyler Myers had Marfan Syndrome?

GDD

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Ekblad is good though 

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Yeah it be dylan guenther

10 hours ago, pi2000 said:

How about we stop labelling him as player x or player y.   

He's bigger, more skilled, and a smarter player than Ekblad was at his age.    

Beniers is JT Compher 2.0 tho 🙂

You're  Overrating powers big time yikes .

If power was better then ekblad he be a lock like dahlin was.

16 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Read a few interesting articles suggesting Power could be immediately used as a power forward with comparisons to Byfuglien and Burns in terms of a possible development path. I find that idea intriguing. 

That would be idiotic if buffalo did that 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.