Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I didn't watch it but it's good to hear. Sounds like we could be set on D if our prospects continue on the path there on.

McCabe would be good to re-sign as a guy who can show these guys the defensive part of the game... Unless there's a better free agent option out there.

Re-sign McCabe. Trade Risto in package or alone. Find a goaltender split with Umark or don't re-sign Ulmark and find #1 guy via trade. It may take Risto plus to get a winger and a goal tender. The flat cap and expansion draft may actually help us.

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

I didn't watch it but it's good to hear. Sounds like we could be set on D if our prospects continue on the path there on.

McCabe would be good to re-sign as a guy who can show these guys the defensive part of the game... Unless there's a better free agent option out there.

Agreed, was just thinking the same thing about McCabe.

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Did you forget about all the LHD we have ? 

Look at our wing and centers we have nothing 

Doesn't matter.   You don't pass on this guy.  Period.

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Did you forget about all the LHD we have ? 

Look at our wing and centers we have nothing 

Yes but you have assets to trade. Take the best guy regardless of position.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Yes but you have assets to trade. Take the best guy regardless of position.

We did that years past worked out great.

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Agreed, was just thinking the same thing about McCabe.

Doesn't matter.   You don't pass on this guy.  Period.

Hughes is better and you all are getting sucked in.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

We did that years past worked out great.

Hughes is better and you all are getting sucked in.

Years past? Like taking Nylander because of position. That certainly worked out. Just my opinion but with a first overall pick I'm not drafting for position this year or ever.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

Years past? Like taking Nylander because of position. That certainly worked out. Just my opinion but with a first overall pick I'm not drafting for position this year or ever.

Oh you mean the draft where we needed a LHD and Sergachev was there and we passed on him? That draft?

5 minutes ago, Radar said:

No you guys are saying take best player available if Hughes played this year power would be 3rd best in this draft 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh you mean the draft where we needed a LHD and Sergachev was there and we passed on him? That draft?

People are getting sucked up in this power hype 

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With the graduation of Mitts and Cozens to the NHL, please name our top Center prospect? We have goalies, we have D and we have two top flight wingers in JJP and Quinn.  

Beniers reminds me of one player in the NHL and his name is Patrice Bergeron.  

Powers is a fine player but with Dahlin, Joker, Bryson, Samuelson, Borgen and Laaksonen and Johnson coming we have plenty of young D to work with.  
This draft is deep with D and a good one should be available in the second Rd.

Grab the next Bergeron and we can say good bye to tank 1.0 and get on with a proper rebuild and a great young spine of Mitts, Cozens and Beniers.  

If Beniers reminds you of Patrice Bergeron I want to have that conversation.  Please elaborate.

Nobody who wants Power will even entertain your first point.  Our D has been God awful for years now.  We have a couple maybes who were late first or non first round picks in our system.  They’ve played a handful of games on a terrible team playing meaningless games.  Sorry if I’m not going to assume these kids are going to be NHL players.  Let’s not over estimate their abilities and assume that we are all set at that position.  Isn’t that exactly what we’ve been doing over and over again (along with horrendous drafting).

10 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is there that much of a grade separation between Power and Beniers?

No. They are in the same tier of player. 

In the NHL forwards are the drivers of play which is why I give the edge to Beniers. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1400536762003378182

This is going to blow up some narratives.😜😀

played 24 minutes, QBed the PP.  Was out with 1 mute left in the final minute of the QF and then was out 3 on 3 in OT.  Kid makes great decisions with the puck under pressure at both ends of the ice. Gallant is a pretty hard ass coach too, the kid has had to earn his ice time. 
Anyone trying to compare him to Risto is either clueless or bias. Kid has more hockey IQ in his pinky then Risto does in his body.

Too bad Beniers is injured, would have been fun to see them go head to head on Sat.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No. They are in the same tier of player. 

In the NHL forwards are the drivers of play which is why I give the edge to Beniers. 

What do you mean drivers of play?  I would argue the D making the initial outlet pass out of the zone would actually be more of a ‘driver of play.’

Mark Seidel from NA Central Scouting. 
“Let me clarify my comments regarding Owen Power. He is THE BEST player eligible for the 2021 Draft and it isn't even close. This kid looks like a 10 year NHL veteran at the World Championships. Poise, maturity smart & simple plays are remarkable. ”

We can argue it till we are all blue In the face - The pick will be Power. 

• Like (+1) 3

41 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/umichhockey/status/1400536762003378182

This is going to blow up some narratives.😜😀

played 24 minutes, QBed the PP.  Was out with 1 mute left in the final minute of the QF and then was out 3 on 3 in OT.  Kid makes great decisions with the puck under pressure at both ends of the ice. Gallant is a pretty hard ass coach too, the kid has had to earn his ice time. 
Anyone trying to compare him to Risto is either clueless or bias. Kid has more hockey IQ in his pinky then Risto does in his body.

Too bad Beniers is injured, would have been fun to see them go head to head on Sat.

What narrative? 90% of the board wants him and the other 10% isn't even allowed to discuss his flaws. 

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

What do you mean drivers of play?  I would argue the D making the initial outlet pass out of the zone would actually be more of a ‘driver of play.’

In your example you have cleared the defensive zone. How does that get the puck through the neutral zone, into the offensive zone, maintain possession, and create HD chances. 

Defenders are involved in transition and the elite like Makar or Dahlin without Krueger certainly drive it. Power does at times as well. Beniers though is a transition machine. It's why he gets the edge for me. 

An outlet pass is only 1 example of something that drives play. 

6 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Mark Seidel from NA Central Scouting. 
“Let me clarify my comments regarding Owen Power. He is THE BEST player eligible for the 2021 Draft and it isn't even close. This kid looks like a 10 year NHL veteran at the World Championships. Poise, maturity smart & simple plays are remarkable. ”

We can argue it till we are all blue In the face - The pick will be Power. 

lol you heard him folks. /thread

31 minutes ago, Derrico said:

No we didn’t.  We didn’t take the right guys.

No according to everyone they took the best available player . 

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ferraro said he envisions him as a Bouwmeester just now

This went to a week draft to a  Borderline Hall of fame defensemen?

Man these people need to pick a lane

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

No according to everyone they took the best available player . 

This went to a week draft to a  Borderline Hall of fame defensemen?

Man these people need to pick a lane

His tone was that Bouwmeester was a low, relative to Hedman lol

So I guess you guys are at odds on that one

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.