Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

I love you but baby you need a hug

Whatever you say. Find your own info and post it. You just have an entire thread discussing him, 4 draft reports, and 1 video to go and you can replace all the stuff I posted for everyone on Power. But hey, the tweets noted some issues in his game so I am bias hack, don't fall into the same trap Tank. 

Owen Power projects out to probably a very good #2/#3 defender. He's probably never going to have the offense needed to be a true #1 but with a little work he can be a minute eating all around defender. He reminds me in some ways of bigger better Ryan Johnson in that he has the ability to transition but also has the ability to shutdown his own zone at times. I think an area of concern is the ability of smaller forwards (basically all forwards) to get under him and get leverage. His reach however really helps in a lot of situations. 

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Will be interesting to find out how the Beniers injury (severity unknown) and Power's play at the Worlds impacts his draft status. 

Yes, I like Beniers a lot and IMHO think his style of play is what this team (Buffalo) needs more of.  Power is playing in the top pairing, which probably helps his draft status.  That said, we already have a 1st overall LHD on our team and does Power make things more interesting there?   If Benier's ankle is indeed broken, would GMKA even consider a trade down to somebody who wants Power and still give us the option to draft Benier in maybe the mid round 1 (assuming he falls due to injury)?  Plus many other moving parts to consider in all this...Eichel, Sam, Risto, Expansion Draft, etc.

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

LOL is this what it has come to? Acting like petulant children because someone doesn’t think their hockey team is going to pick the player they want.

Is this really what this board is going to look like for the next month plus?

NEWSFLASH: Building prospects up or tearing them down HAS NO IMPACT on who the team selects at the draft.

I’m guessing this is your first summer on SabreSpace.

• Haha (+1) 4

I'll provide a summary list as we get closer to the draft; especially since it's possible, however unlikely, that we move around in the draft order. In the meantime, in @LGR4GM's Option threads appear to be the best place to measure the true value of a player: their ability to be woven into Game Day Threads in Star Wars references. Are there good quotes, is the person's name a Rebel pilot or Imperial officer, etc.?

Really, there are no comparisons for Owen Power. This is a generational player name. You've got "Unlimited Power!", "You underestimate my Power!" and "If you only knew the Power of The Concept of Owen." When he needs to be traded: "I think we'd better replace the negative Power coupling."

And that's just the beginning!

This name also opens the doors on Uncle Owen. "But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some Owen Power play converters!" "You can waste time on SabreSpace when your chores are done."

And if he ever gets blasted and tucks and ducks in a fight we can all sing "T-U-R-T-L-E Power!"

All too easy. This is the pick. Or... do we need more of a challenge?

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Owen Power projects out to probably a very good #2/#3 defender. He's probably never going to have the offense needed to be a true #1 but with a little work he can be a minute eating all around defender. He reminds me in some ways of bigger better Ryan Johnson in that he has the ability to transition but also has the ability to shutdown his own zone at times. I think an area of concern is the ability of smaller forwards (basically all forwards) to get under him and get leverage. His reach however really helps in a lot of situations. 

The trick is can we develop him properly and patiently enough to become what he should be. There will be a push to bring him in too quickly, before he has developed the skills to handle those things you mention above. If we are patient and develop him properly, the left side of our D could be one of the best in the league. 

Just now, Buffalonill said:

It makes zero sense to take power when you have 2 players that make up 90% of the offense and will be gone.

Well, supposedly you get something back when you trade a player. I think folks need to wait, but I certainly would not rule out Power at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Power just got player of the game against Russia.

#1 pick confirmed.

I watched him closely this game, and he was fantastic... in total control, drove play, silky passes on the breakouts... he's special.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

#1 pick confirmed.

I watched him closely this game, and he was fantastic... in total control, drove play, silky passes on the breakouts... he's special.

I didn't watch it but it's good to hear. Sounds like we could be set on D if our prospects continue on the path there on.

McCabe would be good to re-sign as a guy who can show these guys the defensive part of the game... Unless there's a better free agent option out there.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.