Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I've said nice things about Power. Any time I mention a weakness Hoss comes rolling in on the Power is God hype train to steam roll anyone questioning his prodigy. Reminds me of me really. 

It’s not even that. It’s acting like Power is some new phenomenon. 4/10 of the scouts Bob interviewed had him as number one preseason. He was the projected number one then and he has only solidified that.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He's not the clear 1st overall pick. But at least you didn't say consensus. 

Do you have people ahead of him, and, if so, why?

Love to see your top 5 or 10. (Or anyone’s really)

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s not even that. It’s acting like Power is some new phenomenon. 4/10 of the scouts Bob interviewed had him as number one preseason. He was the projected number one then and he has only solidified that.

You're acting like he's new. I've been watching him since January. It's why seeing him in the WC didn't just blow me away. He looks like he did in the last stretch at Michigan. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I currently have 3 ahead of him but with stuff coming out it could change. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sorry, I'll go with scouts before our forum assessment. There's a reason their paid and we're not.

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

Sorry, I'll go with scouts before our forum assessment. There's a reason their paid and we're not.

Not disagreeing, but I don’t get to hear many actual assessments from scouts.

And a good number of opinions on here I find can be pretty well-informed.

• Like (+1) 1

If we draft Power #1, they only thing I'll say is, his offense concerns me. He showed good progress this season and I encourage ppl to watch his college game. 

Just now, Thorny said:

1st overall pick? Should play in the NHL. I’ve seen enough of him at the worlds to throw him right in there. 

I'd send him back and it's because I want that offense to develop more. Same for Beniers.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If we draft Power #1, they only thing I'll say is, his offense concerns me. He showed good progress this season and I encourage ppl to watch his college game. 

I'd send him back and it's because I want that offense to develop more. Same for Beniers.

Who’s the last first overall to not immediately play? Thought you might know off the top of your head 

23 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

From Bob McKenzie “He is, however, the consensus favourite.”  sorry just trying to be a smartass 

The 10 scouts Bob surveyed in April all had Power as #1. 
as Vince Carter famously said about any debate about Power being the first pick

”it’s over”

image.jpeg.c2e272d5a35d17f8e8ef0149fbd25c40.jpeg

college gameday sport GIF

From the same article 

That said, it should be noted that Power’s No. 1 status on draft day is not an absolute lock. His mantle is not unassailable. Most of the scouts who ranked him first do allow for the possibility he could still be challenged for top spot and a name other than Power could be called out on July 23.

He is, however, the consensus favourite.

“I don’t know what percentage number you would want to put on it,” said one scout, “60, 70 per cent? I’m not sure. It’s certainly more than 50 per cent, but this is not a draft where there’s one dominant prospect who is the unquestioned No. 1 choice. I mean, it’s close enough between Power and the other top guys that you couldn’t rule out someone else. There are some defencemen who could still challenge him and if the team picking first overall this year really wants or needs a forward, well, there are a couple of forwards who could still be [viable options at] No. 1.”

Karmanos will be the wild card in How the Sabres Draft Board will look, but a few months ago Power wasn’t at the Top. 

• Like (+1) 1

Haha. Have to go all the way back to 2007 and.....Erik Johnson, of course. 

Power better play right away if we draft him lol 

Edit whoops missed Yak though he did 

..But ya it’s really uncommon for the 1st overall to not play right away 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Haha. Have to go all the way back to 2007 and.....Erik Johnson, of course. 

Power better play right away if we draft him lol 

Edit whoops missed Yak though he did 

I'd let him develop. With our LHD depth currently, you can. 

20 minutes ago, Radar said:

Liger, rakish and a few others are damn good and I trust their stuff. It’s why I’ve been drawn to Beniers and hope we somehow get another top three pick so we can take him.

Just now, Thorny said:

Where would he rank on the depth chart of our current LHD? 

Currently signed or RFA 

I know you didn’t ask me but he’s number two behind Dahlin BUT he’s a few years behind, too.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Currently signed or RFA 

If Granato is so good with young guys and Power is top 3 LHD based on merit, I’d play him. 

Or should we bring players in so he’s absolutely not top 3 on merit? 

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Currently signed or RFA 

Chris Peters mentioned when asked about the the depth of the Sabres LHD Prospect Pool, Power would be at the Top of the List.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If Granato is so good with young guys and Power is top 3 LHD based on merit, I’d play him. 

Also from Peters He did not dominate at Michigan and needs to be More Physical. Makar and Quinn Hughes benefited from returning to college for a year and feels Peters and Beniers should as well

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think anyone from this draft is ready to play right away.  Drafting a player is step one. Developing is step 2 and that is something this team needs to improve.  If it is Power, let him go back to Michigan, let him go to the WJCs. That would do wonders for his development.  He isn’t a finished product by a long shot.  The list  of 18 year old dmen flourishing in the NHL is not a long one. If Power struggles in Buffalo at 18 all you have done is set back his development.  He was great at the WCs but that is not against top NHL talent and that is not the grind of an 82 game schedule. He still needs to put on muscle.

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That's short sighted. Feeding him to the wolves or allowing him to grow in a setting he still can grow in. 

We've made so many bad decisions using this logic. 

4 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Chris Peters mentioned when asked about the the depth of the Sabres LHD Prospect Pool, Power would be at the Top of the List.

Also from Peters He did not dominate at Michigan and needs to be More Physical. Makar and Quinn Hughes benefited from returning to college for a year and feels Peters and Beniers should as well

If he had dominated Michigan, I'd bring him up but he didn't and can still learn and develop there. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's short sighted. Feeding him to the wolves or allowing him to grow in a setting he still can grow in. 

We've made so many bad decisions using this logic. 

If he had dominated Michigan, I'd bring him up but he didn't and can still learn and develop there. 

When then it’s their responsibility to ensure he’s not top 3 on the depth chart 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Sign McCabe and then he's not top 3 on merit in all likelihood. 

I’m not sure how I feel about McCabe specifically, too injury prone 

Just now, Thorny said:

When then it’s their responsibility to ensure he’s not top 3 on the depth chart 

No it's their responsibility to stop looking only 2 months into the future. 

You get Power at 3 or you wait a year and get a well rounded Power to be a 2. If all you care about is the lineup in October of 2021 and not the development of your players we'll have another decade like we just did. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.