Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

No.

but Chris was born in Rochester NY, so he has that anchor around his neck 😂

On the WGR clip he seemed to be knowledgeable and his presentation was excellent. Despite his place of origin I was impressed. As the draft approaches I would like to hear more of his opinions.  

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, inkman said:

I think it exactly takes away from the accomplishment.  This kid shutting down guys that wouldn’t make the Sabres is about as underwhelming as I can think of.  

I seriously doubt there is anything a prospect could do to make you optimistic but what draft eligible played in a league or tournament with tougher competition that Power has ? 

Edited by Crusader1969

From what I saw of Power, he's kinda boring to be honest. He doesn't hit, skate super quick, or fire howitzers from the point. However the guy eats minutes for breakfast, has a very active stick, and certainly fits the jack of all trades idea. He is very calm with the puck and more often than not will make the right play. He strikes me as a little bit of a project that needs to be taught how to better use his giant frame (don't need Chara but he should play the body a bit more) What certainly makes him special though is his seeming indifference to playing against 12 year vets and his ability to sort of just blend into any situation. He isn't flashy but is more of a consistent light. I'd send him back to college for a year and hook him up with a mentor to help him gain some additional defensive techniques. I highly doubt he'll light it up in the NHL, for at least his first few years, but he should be solid defensively while in no way a burden to the offense. I could certainly imagine him working well in clutch times with Dahlin as he's the type of player that would be capable of giving Dahlin the ability to free-wheel without worry.

In a weird way he's Ristolainen if you took his grit and offense and switched them to IQ and defense lol

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

From what I saw of Power, he's kinda boring to be honest. He doesn't hit, skate super quick, or fire howitzers from the point. However the guy eats minutes for breakfast, has a very active stick, and certainly fits the jack of all trades idea. He is very calm with the puck and more often than not will make the right play. He strikes me as a little bit of a project that needs to be taught how to better use his giant frame (don't need Chara but he should play the body a bit more) What certainly makes him special though is his seeming indifference to playing against 12 year vets and his ability to sort of just blend into any situation. He isn't flashy but is more of a consistent light. I'd send him back to college for a year and hook him up with a mentor to help him gain some additional defensive techniques. I highly doubt he'll light it up in the NHL, for at least his first few years, but he should be solid defensively while in no way a burden to the offense. I could certainly imagine him working well in clutch times with Dahlin as he's the type of player that would be capable of giving Dahlin the ability to free-wheel without worry.

In a weird way he's Ristolainen if you took his grit and offense and switched them to IQ and defense lol

Can people stop calling players projects because they need to improve something? Of course 18 year olds need to work on something. Power is not a project. He’s a prospect.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Can people stop calling players projects because they need to improve something? Of course 18 year olds need to work on something. Power is not a project. He’s a prospect.

No, I’m going to keep doing it!  😋

He was often referred to as quite raw this season.

43 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

This is a little interesting because Power is generally viewed as more of an offense first D.

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is a little interesting because Power is generally viewed as more of an offense first D.

Power got fed all those minutes and came away with 3 assists in 10 games. 

Y'all are over reacting to a short tournament it's borderline hysterics. 

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I seriously doubt there is anything a prospect could do to make you optimistic but what draft eligible played in a league or tournament with tougher competition that Power has ? 

Any prospect that played in the SHL this season. Definitely tougher overall even if say the Canadian team was pretty good or the Finns were pretty good. 

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What are the odds of Power turning into Alex Pietrangelo?

Is that a good comparable? Why or why not?

You're looking at somewhere between Parayko and Pientrangelo. I think pientrangelo might be a little higher than Power's ceiling. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Any prospect that played in the SHL this season. Definitely tougher overall even if say the Canadian team was pretty good or the Finns were pretty good. 

Beniers got fed all those minutes at the WJCs and didn’t really produce offensively. Didn’t do much at the WCs and wasn’t given a lot of ice time on a team that wasn’t filled with stars. Does that mean  we better stay away from him?

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Curt said:

No, I’m going to keep doing it!  😋

He was often referred to as quite raw this season.

That also doesn’t mean project but in my book raw can get good really fast. Sometimes too fast. *****, I’m going to call her.

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dude. Holy *****. It’s okay to say something good about the kid. He was trusted with huge minutes on a gold medal winning men’s team at 18 years old. Nobody is saying this makes him anything more than what he was already believed to be: the clear first overall pick.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Beniers got fed all those minutes at the WJCs and didn’t really produce offensively. Didn’t do much at the WCs and wasn’t given a lot of ice time on a team that wasn’t filled with stars. Does that mean  we better stay away from him?

Beniers had 2 points in his limited minutes and 6 games at the WC.

20 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Dude. Holy *****. It’s okay to say something good about the kid. He was trusted with huge minutes on a gold medal winning men’s team at 18 years old. Nobody is saying this makes him anything more than what he was already believed to be: the clear first overall pick.

He's not the clear 1st overall pick. But at least you didn't say consensus. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Beniers had 2 points in his limited minutes and 6 games at the WC.

He's not the clear 1st overall pick. But at least you didn't say consensus. 

From Bob McKenzie “He is, however, the consensus favourite.”  sorry just trying to be a smartass 

The 10 scouts Bob surveyed in April all had Power as #1. 
as Vince Carter famously said about any debate about Power being the first pick

”it’s over”

image.jpeg.c2e272d5a35d17f8e8ef0149fbd25c40.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.