Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What narrative? 90% of the board wants him and the other 10% isn't even allowed to discuss his flaws. 

In your example you have cleared the defensive zone. How does that get the puck through the neutral zone, into the offensive zone, maintain possession, and create HD chances. 

Defenders are involved in transition and the elite like Makar or Dahlin without Krueger certainly drive it. Power does at times as well. Beniers though is a transition machine. It's why he gets the edge for me. 

An outlet pass is only 1 example of something that drives play. 

There is a narrative (not necessarily here but on a lot of social media) that Power is a Risto, Myers , Bogo clone. Big and dumb, no hockey sense, limited upside.  What the kid is doing at the WCs is phenomenal right now for a kid his age.  He has a lot of hockey sense,  he is Gallant’s go to guy in tough situations. Very poised in pressure situations all over the ice. I think he is a no brainer.  I like Beniers a lot too but my point of view is you can’t get a dman like this very often.  Forget need, take the best player.

16 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

There is a narrative (not necessarily here but on a lot of social media) that Power is a Risto, Myers , Bogo clone. Big and dumb, no hockey sense, limited upside.  What the kid is doing at the WCs is phenomenal right now for a kid his age.  He has a lot of hockey sense,  he is Gallant’s go to guy in tough situations. Very poised in pressure situations all over the ice. I think he is a no brainer.  I like Beniers a lot too but my point of view is you can’t get a dman like this very often.  Forget need, take the best player.

There were 2 defenders at or above Power's level in the 2020 draft. 

There were at least 3 and possibly 5 in 2019. 

Edited by LGR4GM
2 not 3 in 2020, Schneider is below Power

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

I have power being colton parayko

Not some unrealistic  Comparison like Victor headman

He has better skill and hockey sense than Parayko did at his age.

I have him somewhere between Tyler Myers and Bobby Orr.

• Haha (+1) 3

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You think Power is better than Sanderson, Byram, and Seider? 

In their respective draft years

Byram > Sanderson > Power > Seider (Remember he was seen as a huge reach by Detroit)

Nowadays all three are better than Power but that doesn't say much due to their respective ages.

I don't hate Power, I think he'll become a solid defenseman and perhaps a #2/#3 Dman. He's calm, cool, and collected; does everything well; skates well...etc

His hang ups are that he has no truly elite talent and his lack of a mean streak for a guy his size. 

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

It makes zero sense to take power when you have 2 players that make up 90% of the offense and will be gone.

If you're watching the playoffs at all, you'll notice how good the D units are for the main contenders. If we draft him our young D could become one of the best in the league, and D depth is also very necessary in this league. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If you're watching the playoffs at all, you'll notice how good the D units are for the main contenders. If we draft him our young D could become one of the best in the league, and D depth is also very necessary in this league. 

And we score how ? 

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

We should use our 2 seconds and 2 thirds on defense too 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

And we score how ? 

Well we play solid D and win 1-0.

We will score. There are FAs out there. There are people we trade for. A solid D will free up our existing forwards more. It changes the way you play the game and the type of games you have. 

thee are a bunch of guys in the draft that MIGHT become good NHL scorers, but there is nobody imo that will instantly turn your offense around. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And we score how ? 

I keep asking. There's 6 defenders and 12 forwards but we're in here worried about defensive depth on a team that doesn't score. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well we play solid D and win 1-0.

We will score. There are FAs out there. There are people we trade for. A solid D will free up our existing forwards more. It changes the way you play the game and the type of games you have. 

thee are a bunch of guys in the draft that MIGHT become good NHL scorers, but there is nobody imo that will instantly turn your offense around. 

So we're gonna draft Walstedt?

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

personally hoping L'Heureux falls to round 2 but I think he will be gone. Maybe trade a 2 and a 3 to grab a 1 and take him. Or to put it differently, add some grit and feistiness. Turn this team's character around. 

This. Is not. The nfl. Trades back into the first are rare. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

This. Is not. The nfl. Trades back into the first are rare. 

I understand that, but our 2nd is almost a 1st so it's possible. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Beniers 2way play definitely doesn't have grit or feistiness

We get it we get it, you love him and would draft him. Okay, I think I got it. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Also a team that if I'm not mistaken gives up the most or near the most shots on their own goal. 

Can't get shot on when you control play

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I understand that, but our 2nd is almost a 1st so it's possible. 

We get it we get it, you love him and would draft him. Okay, I think I got it. 

Don't love him. Like him more than Power but it doesn't really matter. 

JBott spent his drafts (and European FA) trying to stock the D cupboard. And... admittedly, it's still in progress. But we do have a lot of smooth-skating puck-moving defensemen. So much so that we acquired and moved Montour and moved Guhle for Montour in the first place, and lost Antipin and Pilut back across the pond and still have a bunch of PMD. Dahlin, Joker, Bryson, Laaksonen, Johnson. We only have 2 young D who are heavy (Borgen and Samuelsson). Getting a starting goalie (Ullmark if healthy, maybe) and an NHL-caliber backup (UFA) will do a lot for our back end, arguably more than another PMD.

I'm good with going for the best forward and rolling 4 solid forward lines, which we've not had since 2007. We need quality F depth. One-line forward teams don't go very far in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

JBott spent his drafts (and European FA) trying to stock the D cupboard. And... admittedly, it's still in progress. But we do have a lot of smooth-skating puck-moving defensemen. So much so that we acquired and moved Montour and moved Guhle for Montour in the first place, and lost Antipin and Pilut back across the pond and still have a bunch of PMD. Dahlin, Joker, Bryson, Laaksonen, Johnson. We only have 2 young D who are heavy (Borgen and Samuelsson). Getting a starting goalie (Ullmark if healthy, maybe) and an NHL-caliber backup (UFA) will do a lot for our back end, arguably more than another PMD.

I'm good with going for the best forward and rolling 4 solid forward lines, which we've not had since 2007. We need quality F depth. One-line forward teams don't go very far in the playoffs.

Good point, but now you're talking about drafting for need... or lack of need at D.   

I'd argue that big, skilled, smart D is more valuable than a top 6 F... they're certainly much more difficult to acquire than a similarly skilled forward.   
You draft Beniers and then if you move Risto and McCabe doesn't come back, suddenly the D is looking pretty thin.   

I say draft BPA Power and then if you suddenly have a surplus of left shot D, throw in a guy like a Borgen or Bryson as part of some package (Reinhart?) to sweeten the return.     Having Power in the cupboard opens up all kinds of possibilities and shores up a top pairing or top 4 spot for the next 15 years.  

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.