Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I don’t see it as much different than saying Byfield is behind Villardi, or Quinn behind Tage. 

All true comments. Now that can change after training camp, or October, or November etc... but right now that's how it should be viewed. 

Jack Quinn btw has been in Buffalo rehabbing and working out because Canada is still closed. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If the past week changed your scouts mind on Power or you value it that much, woof. Just overvalued a roughly 6 game stretch of good play. 

It's just recency bias. Power is the only one playing so that's who you hear about and he plays for Canada. 

Power is gonna be better but in year 1 at 18/19 he might honestly not be. 

I know but for a 1OA that’s still rather striking 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If the past week changed your scouts mind on Power or you value it that much, woof. Just overvalued a roughly 6 game stretch of good play. 

It's just recency bias. Power is the only one playing so that's who you hear about and he plays for Canada.

What he did this week is confirm the confidence that has already been shown in him. I don’t think he warped a lot of minds but I think he solidified his place at the top. If scouts didn’t go into this tournament with an eye on prospects and a plan to use what they see in their overall evaluation of the players then they have no clue what they’re doing. It doesn’t change an entire evaluation but it certainly can change facets of what you’re seeing/have seen.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, maybe he won’t play. Odds are he will. 

It’s been 14 years since a 1OA didn’t play right away. And it didn’t bode well for that player 

From what I have heard about Power he is capable of playing right away. But that shouldn't be the overriding issue. The issue is whether it is better in the long run for his development to stay in school for another year and then play in the league when he is better developed.   

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I’d feel differently if I thought there was clear separation two weeks ago, but if you are starting from the premise the top players are very close, then I disagree with this.

When you are looking for incremental differences, 6 games out of a 30-game season is relevant. Games at a higher level of competition are relevant.

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I know but for a 1OA that’s still rather striking 

It’s really not. Dahlin was first so there’s not much to worry about that. He’s two on the organizational depth chart instantly at LHD but might not get top four minutes immediately. Not a lot of rookies get thrown into that fire right away.

Just now, Hoss said:

What he did this week is confirm the confidence that has already been shown in him. I don’t think he warped a lot of minds but I think he solidified his place at the top. If scouts didn’t go into this tournament with an eye on prospects and a plan to use what they see in their overall evaluation of the players then they have no clue what they’re doing. It doesn’t change an entire evaluation but it certainly can change facets of what you’re seeing/have seen.

He looked the same as he did the last month in Michigan. 

You're convinced that no one has him outside of pick 1, guess we'll find out. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

From what I have heard about Power he is capable of playing right away. But that shouldn't be the overriding issue. The issue is whether it is better in the long run for his development to stay in school for another year and then play in the league when he is better developed.   

From our perspective, sure. From the grander, statistical perspective: it doesn’t bode well 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Just be cautious about over valuing the Worlds.

No he just literally dominated the entire WORLD. He is a world eater. World dominant. Best in the world. *keeps telling myself this until it feels better to be a Sabres fan*

Just now, LGR4GM said:

He looked the same as he did the last month in Michigan. 

You're convinced that no one has him outside of pick 1, guess we'll find out. 

I have literally never said that last part.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Dahlin was our best dman his first year here 

There’s a reason we’ve been drafting high.

Just now, dudacek said:

I’d feel differently if you thought there was clear separation two weeks ago, I’d feel differently, but f you are starting from the premise the top players are very close, them I disagree with this.

When you are looking for incremental differences, 6 games out of a 30-game season is relevant. Games at a higher level of competition are relevant.

I don't think it's that close but I dare not say so around here.

Matthew Beniers is the best player in this draft. 

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

It’s really not. Dahlin was first so there’s not much to worry about that. He’s two on the organizational depth chart instantly at LHD but might not get top four minutes immediately. Not a lot of rookies get thrown into that fire right away.

It really is though. 

For it to be questionable whether a first overall pick is better right now than a player who played 12 NHL games and logged 2 points at a minus 8, is unusual. Very much so. 

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s very uncommon for a first overall pick 

To be third on the depth chart?

2nd overall Quinton Byfield wasn’t in the top four of a pretty mediocre team. 2nd overall pick Sam Reinhart wasnt top 4 on an awful team.

Lafreniere was 3rd on the Ranger LW depth chart this year, Hughes was 4C for Jersey the year before.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No he just literally dominated the entire WORLD. He is a world eater. World dominant. Best in the world. *keeps telling myself this until it feels better to be a Sabres fan*

I have literally never said that last part.

There’s a reason we’ve been drafting high.

He was good against borderline nhl talent on a Canadian team that almost lost to Finland while Finland had mostly Liiga and NHL prospects on it. You've gone off the deep end over it and are oblivious to all else. 

You've said Power is the consensus #1, he's not. I've literally shown that and others have but here we are. You wanna say he should go 1st, fine but it's not a lock. 

Just now, Thorny said:

It really is though. 

For it to be questionable whether a first overall pick is better right now than a player who played 12 NHL games and logged 2 points at a minus 8, is unusual. Very much so. 

Colin Blackwell averaged more minutes at forward than last year’s first overall pick who was considered a generational talent.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It really is though. 

He logged a minute 8 because Ristolainen sucks. 

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

To be third on the depth chart?

2nd overall wasn’t in the top four of a pretty team.2nd overall pick Sam Reinhart wasnt top 4 on an awful team.

Lafreniere was 3rd on the Ranger LW depth chart this year, Hughes was 4C for Jersey the year before.

Depth chart doesn’t tell the full story: our depth chart is particularly weak 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

He was good against borderline nhl talent on a Canadian team that almost lost to Finland while Finland had mostly Liiga and NHL prospects on it. You've gone off the deep end over it and are oblivious to all else. 

You've said Power is the consensus #1, he's not. I've literally shown that and others have but here we are. You wanna say he should go 1st, fine but it's not a lock. 

The sarcasm is so hardcore obvious in that post. Ooooof.

I have not said he’s consensus.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Colin Blackwell averaged more minutes at forward than last year’s first overall pick who was considered a generational talent.

With a points total that would rank in a tie for 3rd among Sabres forwards last year. Proves my point - whereas those players there had him low on the depth chart, being behind “our Colin Blackwell” is good for second line/pair 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

With a points total that would rank in a tie for 3rd among Sabres forwards last year. Proves my point - whereas those players there had him low on the depth chart, being behind “our Colin Blackwell” is good for second line/pair 

Okay, so you’re just jumping through hoops to confirm your incorrect insecurity over where he lands on the immediate depth chart. Got it.

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Depth chart doesn’t tell the full story: our depth chart is particularly weak 

Yep. To be clear, I agree that it would be disappointing to me as well to see Power ranked 3rd on our depth chart right now, not so much if McCabe was under contract.

That’s not the same as thinking it’s unusual, because Power is a boy, Samuelsson a man. Boys who can play in the top half of an NHL roster don’t come around all that often.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.