Sabres' options: Owen Power

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No it's their responsibility to stop looking only 2 months into the future. 

You get Power at 3 or you wait a year and get a well rounded Power to be a 2. If all you care about is the lineup in October of 2021 and not the development of your players we'll have another decade like we just did. 

Ya but both can be true, they’ll have failed to properly assemble the roster if they end up actively not playing the players who give them the best chance of winning 

Edited by Thorny

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya but both can be true, they’ll have failed to properly assemble the roster if they end up actively not playing the players who give them the best chance of winning 

If 18yr old Power gives you the best chance of winning you've already lost is my point. Not if March rolls around and Power gets signed and contributes, that's a different story. 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Power got fed all those minutes and came away with 3 assists in 10 games. 

Y'all are over reacting to a short tournament it's borderline hysterics. 

Lol.  I’m not overreacting. I think it’s great that he played well against pro competition (especially since there is a good chance he’ll be a Sabre).  I think I’d still take Beniers first.

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No it's their responsibility to stop looking only 2 months into the future. 

You get Power at 3 or you wait a year and get a well rounded Power to be a 2. If all you care about is the lineup in October of 2021 and not the development of your players we'll have another decade like we just did. 

To make the case the Sabres won't take Power, Adams' quote was not the best player now but the one that can become the best player 

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Lol.  I’m not overreacting. I think it’s great that he played well against pro competition (especially since there is a good chance he’ll be a Sabre).  I think I’d still take Beniers first.

Sorry, didn't mean you. It merged my posts. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

That also doesn’t mean project but in my book raw can get good really fast. Sometimes too fast. *****, I’m going to call her.

Ok, then define project.  I don’t have a strict definition and use it pretty loosely.  Don’t worry about it.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

To make the case the Sabres won't take Power, Adams' quote was not the best player now but the one that can become the best player 

How does that quote prove they won’t take Power? Why do people think Power is a finished product?  The kid looks 13. He is tall but needs to fill out his man strength. Once he gets that look out.  He has as much upside as anyone.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If 18yr old Power gives you the best chance of winning you've already lost is my point. Not if March rolls around and Power gets signed and contributes, that's a different story. 

Saying the same thing then 

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

How does that quote prove they won’t take Power? Why do people think Power is a finished product?  The kid looks 13. He is tall but needs to fill out his man strength. Once he gets that look out.  He has as much upside as anyone.

Nowhere in there do I or Adams say he's not a prospect. He's undoubtedly the 'most ready' however.

Edited by WildCard

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

1st overall pick? Should play in the NHL. I’ve seen enough of him at the worlds to throw him right in there. 

I understand your position but disagree with it. The issue isn't so much can he play next season rather than what is the best approach to take with him that enhances his development. Playing another year in college and becoming more mature both physically and emotionally will make him more prepared when he first plays in the NHL. In addition, by playing another year in college he will get more playing time and more opportunities to play different roles. How the Sabres handled Mittestadt is an example of the perils of rushing a player/prospect before he is ready. His development was stunted not accelerated by rushing him before he was ready for the league. 

The organization has a history of being mediocre. It has to stop doing the same things that has contributed to their extended failure. One way to alter the course of systemic mediocrity is to take a more strategic view in how the operation is run instead of the more short-term tactical approach. 

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I understand your position but disagree with it. The issue isn't so much can he play next season rather than what is the best approach to take with him that enhances his development. Playing another year in college and becoming more mature both physically and emotionally will make him more prepared when he first plays in the NHL. In addition, by playing another year in college he will get more playing time and more opportunities to play different roles. How the Sabres handled Mittestadt is an example of the perils of rushing a player/prospect before he is ready. His development was stunted not accelerated by rushing him before he was ready for the league. 

The organization has a history of being mediocre. It has to stop doing the same things that has contributed to their extended failure. One way to alter the course of systemic mediocrity is to take a more strategic view in how the operation is run instead of the more short-term tactical approach. 

Ya, maybe he won’t play. Odds are he will. 

It’s been 14 years since a 1OA didn’t play right away. And it didn’t bode well for that player 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Ya, maybe he won’t play. Odds are he will. 

It’s been 14 years since a 1OA didn’t play right away. And it didn’t bode well for that player 

Power did an interview a couple weeks ago with the Hockey News where he said he would  really like to return to Michigan for next year. A lot of unfinished business with Frozen Fours and WJCs. Said he would listen to whoever drafted him but if it was his choice would go back to school for development and to finish some business.

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

Power did an interview a couple weeks ago with the Hockey News where he said he would  really like to return to Michigan for next year. A lot of unfinished business with Frozen Fours and WJCs. Said he would listen to whoever drafted him but if it was his choice would go back to school for development and to finish some business.

We'll have to see if the confidence gained at the WC changes his mind.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

college gameday sport GIF

From the same article 

That said, it should be noted that Power’s No. 1 status on draft day is not an absolute lock. His mantle is not unassailable. Most of the scouts who ranked him first do allow for the possibility he could still be challenged for top spot and a name other than Power could be called out on July 23.

He is, however, the consensus favourite.

“I don’t know what percentage number you would want to put on it,” said one scout, “60, 70 per cent? I’m not sure. It’s certainly more than 50 per cent, but this is not a draft where there’s one dominant prospect who is the unquestioned No. 1 choice. I mean, it’s close enough between Power and the other top guys that you couldn’t rule out someone else. There are some defencemen who could still challenge him and if the team picking first overall this year really wants or needs a forward, well, there are a couple of forwards who could still be [viable options at] No. 1.”

Karmanos will be the wild card in How the Sabres Draft Board will look, but a few months ago Power wasn’t at the Top. 

The Worlds will affect this. It was close before and Power was in the lead. Since then what has happened? 
Guenther was meh at the U18s, Berniers was not much of a factor at Worlds. Hughes got hurt. Havent heard any buzz at all about the other contenders. Power was a key player in a gold medal performance at the senior level.

Does this mean it’s no longer “close enough”?

I think it certainly will in the public eye. @Thorny has alluded to the pressure on the team at the top to take the presumed top player. It took a while, but I think the past week has cemented Power as that guy.

I mentioned it before, the internet will erupt with a “Sabres gonna Sabre” chorus if we don’t pick Power. Will that affect Adams’ decision-making process? Perhaps more importantly, will it influence Terry?

And given the shape of our scouting department this year, shouldn’t we be more trusting of the consensus?

51 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

3rd probably to start

Behind Bryson…? That’s a little disturbing for a top 10 pick, let alone first overall.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Behind Bryson…? That’s a little disturbing for a top 10 pick, let alone first overall.

Until he proves he's better he's behind Samuelsson. 

Samuelsson got screwed playing with Ristolainen 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Imagine taking a guy first overall and viewing him in this context re: Samuelsson. I honestly can’t wrap my mind around it. And I’m not saying you are wrong either 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ah sorry. I fell into thinking of Samuelsson as an Amerk still, but I can see that, just in terms of physical development.

Edited by dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The Worlds will affect this. It was close before and Power was in the lead. Since then what has happened? 
Guenther was meh at the U18s, Berniers was not much of a factor at Worlds. Hughes got hurt. Havent heard any buzz at all about the other contenders. Power was a key player in a gold medal performance at the senior level.

Does this mean it’s no longer “close enough”?

I think it certainly will in the public eye. @Thorny has alluded to the pressure on the team at the top to take the presumed top player. It took a while, but I think the past week has cemented Power as that guy.

I mentioned it before, the internet will erupt with a “Sabres gonna Sabre” chorus if we don’t pick Power. Will that affect Adams’ decision-making process? Perhaps more importantly, will it influence Terry?

And given the shape of our scouting department this year, shouldn’t we be more trusting of the consensus?

If the past week changed your scouts mind on Power or you value it that much, woof. Just overvalued a roughly 6 game stretch of good play. 

It's just recency bias. Power is the only one playing so that's who you hear about and he plays for Canada. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Imagine taking a guy first overall and viewing him in this context re: Samuelsson. I honestly can’t wrap my mind around it. And I’m not saying you are wrong either 

Power is gonna be better but in year 1 at 18/19 he might honestly not be. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Ah sorry. I fell into thinking of Samuelsson as an Amerk still, but I can see that, just in terms of physical development.

It's also OK if Samuelsson starts next season in Rochester to get big minutes if McCabe a) re-signs a 1-yr rehab deal, and b) is ready for the season.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I don’t see it as much different than saying Byfield is behind Villardi, or Quinn behind Tage. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.