Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

A small addon would be, if Scheifele was interested in being a Sabres leader and culture fixer perhaps he could work given the right circumstances. Essentially could he and few other players get us to the playoffs and reset this franchise after this whole terrible decade. And then allow us to fix the whole system from prospects up. Does he have a never say die, do anything to win, persona? Could he help give us a new identity and help guide the young players we have coming through the ranks?

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Not sure where to put this. Fella at the Sabres Hockeybuzz blog (goes by TheSabresTaco -- seems a decent fella) posted this last night:

Alrite.
So what I've got, and it goes against what I've posted I felt.
Jack to Calgary is almost locked in. Goes against Broads' friend who says LA, but lines up with the Mayor/Freidman.
Surgery talk is dead silent, just like Freidman/Dredger claimed.
Sam Reinhart is 100% gone. Doesn't want to return. I made him say 100%, he said 100%.
Same with Risto.

Granato is 50/50. Adams wants to talk to Lane Lambert and Jeff Halpern.

I don't give a poop if I turn out to be wrong. My guy has been connected to the Sabres for many years. Throws stones if ya feel like it.

One more thing. I disagree with it, but he said expect to trade 1OA.

I've avoided reading or thinking about any of the hockey threads here for a bit because of, you know, reasons.  

I'm all in on this, frankly.  Cleanse this franchise with fire.  Perhaps the wish on a monkey's paw that was the tank will finally stop having its inevitable horrific consequences once Eichel, Samson, Risto and anything else not nailed down is as far away from Buffalo as possible.  There is no way anything will get worse, at any rate.   Sorry, sorry.... not going to provide such an obvious target to the Hockey Gods.  But still, trade absolutely everyone.   

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Eichel Reinhart / Scheifele Ehlers swap probably gets it done straight up

For those keeping track it's two players back better than Tkachuk. But it cuts down on the futures quotient 

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

How much have you seen of Ehlers this year? 

I've watched quite a few of his games here and to me eye at least he's taken a big step this year. He was point a game, dynamic, and I think they Jets best player - been saying that all year. With his speed - I think there's a non-negligible chance he's a significantly better asset than Reinhart - especially considering, what's Reino going to sign for? Definitely not better than Ehlers 6+ per 

I would be happy with this trade and I don't expect the Sabres to get 2 players as good as Scheifele and Ehlers for Eichel and Reino.

Scheifele would be a very good, true #1C while Cozens and hopefully Mitts develop into NHL centers.  There is also a very good likelihood, due to Eichel's injury history, that Scheifele will be more productive than Eichel over the next 5 years.  I agree that Ehlers is better than Reino.  And both of the Jets are under good contracts.

I don't get the sense though that the Jets are in as big of a rush as the Flames are to turn their roster upside down.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why? This has no relevance. 

Brady and Matt have similar games, chance for similar chemistry.

Plus, if we make these trades Casey is our 1C (sorry, unless Dylan makes a big jump, he is) and should be playing with our best winger.

35 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Brady and Matt have similar games, chance for similar chemistry.

Plus, if we make these trades Casey is our 1C (sorry, unless Dylan makes a big jump, he is) and should be playing with our best winger.

I don't think how Brady played at the WJC20 4 years ago really has much impact on how Matt would play with Casey. 

But I would put Matt with Casey to start until Cozens proves he's better (if he does). 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the return for Eichel may be significantly less than what some are expecting given his injury, salary and remaining term on his contract.  NHL GMs also know that he wants out of Buffalo, which will further negatively impact any expected return for him.   It will be tough to get the package of players that this team needs for Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

I think the return for Eichel may be significantly less than what some are expecting given his injury, salary and remaining term on his contract.  NHL GMs also know that he wants out of Buffalo, which will further negatively impact any expected return for him.   It will be tough to get the package of players that this team needs for Eichel.

Then you don't trade him regardless.

The last thing we should do is trade him for a bag of pucks because he wants out.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Then you don't trade him regardless.

The last thing we should do is trade him for a bag of pucks because he wants out.

This is where I'm at.

I'm going to actually need to hear him say he wants out at this point because all this health situation has done has decrease his value. 

Why does Adams continue (the 2x I heard him interviewed since the season ended including the PC) to talk about "surgery that has never been done on an NHL player" as he has done?

I'm sure this isn't a secret in front offices across the league.  But if the public knows this you can't sell trading your elite prospects for a guy everyone is hearing has this very serious neck issue.  

Am I missing something about this?

I don't want Adams talking about it at all frankly.  But I guess since he is that's probably the red flag that he's getting dealt.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

More like teams are licking their chops at the thought of swindling the most grossly unqualified GM in hockey history, stooge of the worst owner in modern NHL history. There will be nothing but lowball offers until the unqualified stooge accepts one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

More like teams are licking their chops at the thought of swindling the most grossly unqualified GM in hockey history, stooge of the worst owner in modern NHL history. There will be nothing but lowball offers until the unqualified stooge accepts one.

And if those are the offers that come in, you hang up the phone and keep him.  

Surround him with an entire new cast. 

I'd look at moving Samson Skinner and Oloffson.  I'd consider moving the number 1 if it got me ready now elite prospect in multiple package possibilities.  

My gut is telling me the return on Eichel will not be sufficient so keep him.

My gut also says that the 1st overall is not getting us to the playoffs sooner and is no guarantee.  

If we keep Eichel and make good move using our picks, a few roster players, and prospects we can properly overhaul the team....led by Eichel/Cozens/Dahlin.  The latter 2 aren't untouchable but the players coming back need to be elite.

If Jack wants to be here that's what I'm doing.   

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

The problem with this narrative is that there is a very qualified, vet GM in the room in Karmanos, no one is swindling him on anything.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Sabel79 said:

I've avoided reading or thinking about any of the hockey threads here for a bit because of, you know, reasons.  

I'm all in on this, frankly.  Cleanse this franchise with fire.  Perhaps the wish on a monkey's paw that was the tank will finally stop having its inevitable horrific consequences once Eichel, Samson, Risto and anything else not nailed down is as far away from Buffalo as possible.  There is no way anything will get worse, at any rate.   Sorry, sorry.... not going to provide such an obvious target to the Hockey Gods.  But still, trade absolutely everyone.   

I hear your pain. As others have pointed out, it's going to be difficult to "win" an Eichel trade, for instance. And I like Samson's game; his recent success at C only enhances his value, but the contract going forward is an issue. If he wants out, he wants out. The situation appears to have become so toxic a wholesale change is likely and probably necessary, so I am going to hope for the best. What else can one do?

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

The problem with this narrative is that there is a very qualified, vet GM in the room in Karmanos, no one is swindling him on anything.

SabreMike is so uplifting. Let's wait for evidence against KA/Karmonis. Agee some posters ignore Kadmanos. We need a separate thread for bashing the management and use this thread for trades/rumors.

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The Islanders got literally nothing for Tavares.

Relax. Losing the trade won't be the end of days.

“Losing the trade” is always dependent on timeline.

Lets say the trade was Zegras and 3 OA for Jack. Did they lose the trade? Maybe today but 3 years from now they may have won it if Zegras develops into a star centre and the 3 OA pick becomes an impact player as well.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

SabreMike is so uplifting. Let's wait for evidence against KA/Karmonis. Agee some posters ignore Kadmanos. We need a separate thread for bashing the management and use this thread for trades/rumors.

Agreed. Karmanos has 3 Cups to his name. He has been in a front office for almost 20 years. He is very good friends with Adams so the communication is honest between them.  People just love to ignore him.

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The Islanders got literally nothing for Tavares.

Relax. Losing the trade won't be the end of days.

I bet they'd still go back and change that fact. Just because it happened to work out for them doesn't mean it will for us.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

“Losing the trade” is always dependent on timeline.

Lets say the trade was Zegras and 3 OA for Jack. Did they lose the trade? Maybe today but 3 years from now they may have won it if Zegras develops into a star centre and the 3 OA pick becomes an impact player as well.

Agreed. Karmanos has 3 Cups to his name. He has been in a front office for almost 20 years. He is very good friends with Adams so the communication is honest between them.  People just love to ignore him.

Just had flashbacks to ppl trying to convince me the ROR was not total trash because a 1st and Tage. At least Zegras and 3rd are significantly better options. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Just had flashbacks to ppl trying to convince me the ROR was not total trash because a 1st and Tage. At least Zegras and 3rd are significantly better options. 

Huge difference. Thompson, late 1st, Sobotka and Berglund was hot garbage the second it was made. That collection as never going to supersede ROR.

Zegras and 3 OA are top end pieces that could easily turn out to be more effective to the Sabres then Eichel. Zegras+Beniers or Zegras+Guenther or Zegras+Eklund could be driving this team 3 years from now.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

How good will Zegras be? Can he be a #1 C or #2C? Any current players talent and style-wise he can be compared to? 

5 minutes ago, JohnC said:

How good will Zegras be? Can he be a #1 C or #2C? Any current players talent and style-wise he can be compared to? 

How good will he be? I think a 2c is a reasonable projection with a decent shot at being a good 1c. 

Style? I haven't watched Zegras much since his draft so that's tougher to say. He's a very creative playmaking center who skates well. His creativity and passing are hallmarks of his game. Not sure if there is a player that jumps out to me in the NHL like him. I think with proper development though you are looking at a point producing center who is very good overall. 

• Like (+1) 1