Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

There is risk with any player.  To me, it seems low in this case.  I actually feel just as confident that those two will be good, top-6 players, as I do that Eichel will get back to MVP contender form.

That’s definitely the debate. Have to land pieces that mitigate risk and increase potential. A guy like Zegras is that, for sure. Comtois seems to like a low ceiling guy who has already found some footing in the league.

56 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I don’t care about the semantics here. He’s one of the best players we’ve had. This is an extremely important deal.

I’ve got him a hair below Turgeon at this point.  Has the ability to be more, but Turgeon had his best years outside of Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Weave said:

I’ve got him a hair below Turgeon at this point.  Has the ability to be more, but Turgeon had his best years outside of Buffalo.

He's probably right above or below Turgeon. I’d tend to put him right above him but didn’t get to watch him play in Buffalo so I certainly may be off.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

He's probably right above or below Turgeon. I’d tend to put him right above him but didn’t get to watch him play in Buffalo so I certainly may be off.

Relative to the rest of the league in their time, its pretty close.

Noone lamented moving on from Turgeon, granted we did get LaFontaine in the deal.  I don’t really see history looking more kindly on Eichel than it did on Turgeon in Buffalo.

Pierre was a reluctant leader.  I get the sense Jack has been a reluctant Sabre for more than just last season.

• Like (+1) 7

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

That’s definitely the debate. Have to land pieces that mitigate risk and increase potential. A guy like Zegras is that, for sure. Comtois seems to like a low ceiling guy who has already found some footing in the league.

I guess I just like Comtois.  He has already performed like a 40-50 point guy, and as big power forwards tend to develop a bit slower, probably has a little more upside.  I think he is a very good bet to be a top-6 goal scoring winger who ends up being a good playoff performer as well due to the physical nature of his game.  Is that low upside?  Compared to Eichel maybe, but in general I wouldn’t call it a low upside.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

It’s still the type of deal that scares me because you could ultimately end up empty handed. If Zegras and Comtois fail to progress you’re left with nothing for one of the best players in franchise history.

With his injury, the exact same thing could be said of Jack. He may never get back to the player he was 2 years ago. Then the Ducks are left with nothing. 

6 minutes ago, kas23 said:

With his injury, the exact same thing could be said of Jack. He may never get back to the player he was 2 years ago. Then the Ducks are left with nothing. 

That’s not going to happen. Worst case he turns into a good number one center and never becomes an elite number one.

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yep - I think any move we make is gonna have this unfortunate risk. I view the Ducks and these players as ones that limit that possibility relative to some other returns.

Here's the thing about this stuff. Every year with Jack, many of us looked at this roster and pinpointed where we'd end up within ~4 points because of how bad our GMs always were. And it was always mid-70s. There is no reasonable change Jack could have made short of turning into literally prime Gretzky that could have on its own turned that into a 20 point improvement and potentially sniffing the playoffs. "He led this team nowhere" is technically true but leaves out the fact that we were so incompetent in all facets, that no NHL player playing today could be swapped in for Jack and handed those teams appreciable improvements (some could have helped us win a few more games, maybe, but nobody would come close to making up that 20 point gap. When McDavid went out and Draisaitl kept scoring last year, the team's record didn't vary much at all IIRC - to see standings improvement you need entire lines and entire pairings and starting goalies to improve together). 

With Jack or with McDavid, or anyone in between, 2015-2021 being exactly the same outside that one roster spot has us in exactly the same spot today. Jack might not be Mark Messier or Connor McDavid, but any competent franchise can win with him as a 1C, and he would make their job doing so easier than a lot of other 1Cs. No website whispers of his attitude, which are orders of magnitude less prevalent than what we were barfing out there post-ROR trade, and look what he did, change that

So, you’re saying this is a team sport and even Jack in his prime couldn’t have helped them this past year. I agree. The playoffs are proving this too. There are excellent players, but I don’t see any Jacks, Connors, or Austins. So, maybe we need to take a different view on how we form our roster. This may be with or without Jack, but trading Jack for different assets certainly doesn’t preclude us from playoff hockey. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

That’s not going to happen. Worst case he turns into a good number one center and never becomes an elite number one.

Are you suggesting NHL GMs aren’t currently concerned about Jack’s injury history? I can’t possibly believe that. Keep in mind that any accepting team is on the hook for another $50M and a NMC. 

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Are you suggesting NHL GMs aren’t currently concerned about Jack’s injury history? I can’t possibly believe that. Keep in mind that any accepting team is on the hook for another $50M and a NMC. 

I don’t have access to the medicals but I highly highly doubt there’s any concern he will never play hockey at a high level again.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

This is a really stupid post, but i'll put my comment here anyway. Jack hasn't said anything in public since his end of the season interview, he didn't mouth off before or since, he didn't say anything out of line when he did speak.  He's obviously upset with the organizations performance over the years and he's unhappy with his injury situation. That's all we really know.  They'll probably trade him ,  Pegula probably sees an out from his contract and with people like you spreading this crap, he probably thinks it will ease the pain if the fans turn on Jack.  Look at Jack, don't look at this clown show of an organization, entrusting someone with zero experience to trade away our top players.

Sorry you don’t like my opinion but I have it on good authority he’s a ***** and a cancer in the room. I won’t reveal my source but he’s not worth the headache or trouble. And now I see talk of him being a boozer, that adds to the worry.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m confused. The Sabres report is that they ARE ready to move on.

The post was Chad essentially saying Elliotte was shilling for Eichel’s camp and that Chad thinks the Sabres aren’t as done with Eichel as  Eichel would like you to believe. I.E. they aren’t going to give him away.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Nope.  This can’t be true, in my opinion.  Worse case scenario is that his neck becomes a chronic issue causing him to miss lots of time and truly derailing his career.

I highly doubt this happens too, but “worst case scenario”  isn’t necessarily a likely scenario.

What if he eventually opts for fusion surgery and a couple years from now develops degeneration of the neighboring vertebrae and he just can’t get right.  Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Edited by Curt

22 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Sorry you don’t like my opinion but I have it on good authority he’s a ***** and a cancer in the room. I won’t reveal my source but he’s not worth the headache or trouble. And now I see talk of him being a boozer, that adds to the worry.

Well, you've convinced me. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Well, you've convinced me. 

Perfect. We can agree to disagree. This type of trade is always gonna be polarizing. I’m personally fed up with him and Sam. Let’s get good quality people in there. It’s time to change the culture. Clearly.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The post was Chad essentially saying Elliotte was shilling for Eichel’s camp and that Chad thinks the Sabres aren’t as done with Eichel as  Eichel would like you to believe. I.E. they aren’t going to give him away.

No Sabres insider is reporting anything about the team not wanting to move on. Friedman is reporting they do. Chad is interpreting Friedman’s report as a leak from Eichel’s camp to push an agenda and only inferring further about the Sabres, not actually reporting anything. That’s why I was confused.

• Thanks (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Without revealing your source, could you describe a few things your source has told you about that Eichel does which make him a “cancer in the room” and/or “rotten to the core”?

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

Nope.  This can’t be true, in my opinion.  Worse case scenario is that his neck becomes a chronic issue causing him to miss lots of time and truly derailing his career.

I highly doubt this happens too, but “worst case scenario”  isn’t necessarily a likely scenario.

What if he eventually opts for fusion surgery and a couple years from now develops degeneration of the neighboring vertebrae and he just can’t get right.  Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Don’t say that out loud other GMs could be reading this.

23 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

Perfect. We can agree to disagree. This type of trade is always gonna be polarizing. I’m personally fed up with him and Sam. Let’s get good quality people in there. It’s time to change the culture. Clearly.

Why are you fed up with them? They've never dogged it, Eichel was developing into a top center, 100 point pace in 2019-20, Sam has improved each season, consistent top 6 winger that would do well on any team. They're both pissed that the organization sucks, I'd be concerned if they weren't angry.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

It’s still the type of deal that scares me because you could ultimately end up empty handed. If Zegras and Comtois fail to progress you’re left with nothing for one of the best players in franchise history.

One of the best players in franchise history?   That will be debatable.  One of the best talents for sure, that’s as far as I go with his place in history.