Taylor Hall sitting -- possible trade incoming

Sabre fan

The sooner the Sabres can trade Hall, the more likely they get more back.  If it comes down to the deadline KA loses his negotiation leverage and will have to settle for a less substantial package (see ROR trade).  

This will be a very telling negotiation for the type of deal KA can pull off when he has so much leverage on his side (6 days before deadline, can retain cap, no playoffs to prep for 2020-2021).  The major obstacle is the NMC but I can't imagine why Hall would want to finish out the season here.

I would take my top 2-3 preferred offers to Hall agent (we have to assume they will be playoff teams, or at least playoff bubble teams) and tell him to make a decision or his client isn't going to get the right type of exposure for his next contract (i.e. playing for this Sabres team, or a cup contender). 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The Leafs are on record as being willing to part with their top prospect.

We would have to get highly creative, but can we somehow turn Hall into Nick Robertson?

It probably could be made to happen.  Are we really ready for Liger to die from happiness?  No. Helping the Loafs get closer to a SC & losing the Liger is too much.  There has to be another way to convert Hall into something useful.

Edited by Taro T

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It probably could be made to happen.  Are we really ready for Liger to die from happiness?  No. Helping the Loafs get closer to a SC & losing the Liger is too much.  There has to be another way to convert Hall into something useful.

They’ll pass on Beniers and everything will return to normal regarding Liger 

• Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

The sooner the Sabres can trade Hall, the more likely they get more back.  If it comes down to the deadline KA loses his negotiation leverage and will have to settle for a less substantial package (see ROR trade).  

This will be a very telling negotiation for the type of deal KA can pull off when he has so much leverage on his side (6 days before deadline, can retain cap, no playoffs to prep for 2020-2021).  The major obstacle is the NMC but I can't imagine why Hall would want to finish out the season here.

I would take my top 2-3 preferred offers to Hall agent (we have to assume they will be playoff teams, or at least playoff bubble teams) and tell him to make a decision or his client isn't going to get the right type of exposure for his next contract (i.e. playing for this Sabres team, or a cup contender). 

Except with Hall getting 1 days' worth of $8MM in salary, moving closer to the frame deadline before moving him actually makes him more affordable to teams that are tight to, but below, the salary cap.  Which could add additional suitors.

Each day costs the Pegulas a few 10's of 1,000's of $'s; not $7MM.  Far easier to swallow for getting a better return.  IMHO, the situations from ownerships perspective is apples and ball bearings.   

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

With the way the hockey gods are treating Buffalo this season, they have no choice but to keep him out.

Expecting to find out that he tripped on the stairs and broke his hip on the way up to the team box. 

• Haha (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Except with Hall getting 1 days' worth of $8MM in salary, moving closer to the frame deadline before moving him actually makes him more affordable to teams that are tight to, but below, the salary cap.  Which could add additional suitors.

Each day costs the Pegulas a few 10's of 1,000's of $'s; not $7MM.  Far easier to swallow for getting a better return.  IMHO, the situations from ownerships perspective is apples and ball bearings.   

I've always viewed trade value as a flooding pond pushing on a weakened dam.  The water rises and rises until "pop!" is bursts and then it all quickly rushes out.  Sometimes, it goes on trade deadline day; other times, it's a day or even days before.

5 minutes ago, carpandean said:

I've always viewed trade value as a flooding pond pushing on a weakened dam.  The water rises and rises until "pop!" is bursts and then it all quickly rushes out.  Sometimes, it goes on trade deadline day; other times, it's a day or even days before.

Interesting analogy which holds merit.

But it usually ends up close to, if not on deadline day because though the deals are binary, the options prior to pulling the trigger on 1 aren't.

And many people forget that teams aren't bidding against the team they'll be trading with but some other set of rivals.  And when the 2nd best offer goes away, that 1st best offer now looks good enough because it is soooo much better than the 3rd best offer that forcing that other GM to add another 2nd rounder to the deal still wo 't make it better than the best offer available; but another 2nd rounder could've swung the 2nd best offer over to be the best offer.

Or when the guy you really wanted goes off the table, now what the other team was asking for your 2nd choice might not only be palatable though not ideal, it might be the only palatable offer to bring in that level of player.

Anybody else think Adams is kicking himself for not adding another 2nd or 3rd rounder to the offer to AZ, or the BJs, or Calgary that hecouldn't quite swing for a goalie?

Wish there was enough time to truly study the deals that get made & not at the deadline.  Would be a fascinating Game Theory project.

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think I posted it some place up thread, but just in case I did not ... 

... play to win, so DO NOT sit one of your best players.  EVER!!

Not a fan of sitting a guy for 4 games waiting for the trade deadline, but am kind of numb.

Even if they could play at a season-long playoff pace of 0.600 the rest of the way, which could be doable if Ullmark stays healthy and some of the infirmary ward clears out, they'd still be 2-4 points behind all the other bottom feeders barring monumental collapses by any of them.

Which kinda stinks.  (Guess it's "good" in the long run in a warped way, but not sure why every new GM post-Regier has to finish dead last in his 1st outing.  (Yeah, yeah, there's an obvious "why," but am speaking more philosophically.))

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kruppstahl said:

This is good news.

I expect a trade announced within 24 hours.

I don't think they would sit him this far from the deadline with no specific deal in sight.

It's probably already done, or almost done.

Depends on whether he can "quarantine" where he's at shaving a few days off his inavailability should he go to a Canadian team or not.  If he can, it actually does make sense whether a deal is in place or not.  As it keeps those teams in the running for him.