COVID-19

Indabuff

Interesting (to me anyway) article about how different countries are reacting to this outbreak.

The point the author makes is an interesting one, that countries using technology to track people’s movements are having to enact less draconian measures than countries not tracking movement and contacts.  The end result is that countries not tracking movement are forced to use more freedom diminishing methods to control the rate of infections than countries using methods we would consider depriving of freedoms.

The forest for the trees, maybe?

https://www.city-journal.org/covid-19-and-technology

4 hours ago, Weave said:

Interesting (to me anyway) article about how different countries are reacting to this outbreak.

The point the author makes is an interesting one, that countries using technology to track people’s movements are having to enact less draconian measures than countries not tracking movement and contacts.  The end result is that countries not tracking movement are forced to use more freedom diminishing methods to control the rate of infections than countries using methods we would consider depriving of freedoms.

The forest for the trees, maybe?

https://www.city-journal.org/covid-19-and-technology

I'd argue tracking everything a person does is far more draconian than what we're doing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

I'd argue tracking everything a person does is far more draconian than what we're doing.

The thing is, they already do. But for some reason we are okay with it when it is a private company doing it over a government. Not sure which is worse.

20 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Good God, man.  You need to eat something very fatty right away.

LMAO, more like pull up a chair to the buffet and don't leave for a month.  Quarantine yourself at a buffet hahaha

19 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I'm up to 153 now. Want to settle in at 175

I'm 5' 8" and around 200 lbs right now but I have worked out for a long time and am pretty muscular.  Carrying some extra winter weight, but I have been single digit body fat with abs in the low 180s

Went in public for the first time since early March. Saw about 6 people. One person didn't have their mask over their nose, another was wearing knitted winter gloves and doused them in hand sanitizer on her way out. They will be soggy all day 

Edited by Randall Flagg

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Went in public for the first time since early March. Saw about 6 people. One person didn't have their mask over their nose, another was wearing knitted winter gloves and doused them in hand sanitizer on her way out. They will be soggy all day 

That’s basically what it’s like out there right now, lol.

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

In general, people are idiots.

9 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Some governors are going to strategically open up parts of commerce again in their states in the next week to two weeks. This is such a delicate balancing act. I hope it works out well. For everyone’s sake.

People need that light at the end of the tunnel.  Let's face it, number probably go up a little bit with these openings, but hopefully it's less of a spike and more of a speed bump.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, shrader said:

People need that light at the end of the tunnel.  Let's face it, number probably go up a little bit with these openings, but hopefully it's less of a spike and more of a speed bump.

Yep. We were never going to shut down until numbers hit zero, vaccines complete. The amount of destruction that would cause on uncountable levels would dwarf what we will see from (proper, careful) reopening (which may not be what places like Georgia are doing unfortunately)

49 minutes ago, shrader said:

At most...

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Has anyone heard anything about injecting people with bleach, specifically into the lungs? Because we just learned today that bleach can kill the virus.

And at bright blast of light inside the body. I heard that works too.

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Has anyone heard anything about injecting people with bleach, specifically into the lungs? Because we just learned today that bleach can kill the virus.

Since no doctor is ever going to administer that, I am all for anyone who is willing to try that, to do it themselves.

20 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Since no doctor is ever going to administer that, I am all for anyone who is willing to try that, to do it themselves.

You're right, Swamp.  Hippocratic Oath.  First, do no harm.  Any MD that condones that at this stage should lose her/his license.  But I'm not sure injecting bleach into my liugs is the answer.  I guess as a last resort.  

Edited by Tondas

5 minutes ago, Tondas said:

You're right, Swamp.  Hippocratic Oath.  First, do no harm.  Any MD that condones that at this stage should lose her/his license.  But I'm not sure injecting bleach into my lings is the answer.  I guess as a last resort.  Almost a Kevorkian decision.

We knew of some special needs parents that would (for lack of a better term) microdose their kids with bleach because their was some fool theory going around that they needed to kill some stuff in their guts. 

Is it really news that bleach kills stuff? I kills everything, idiots,… including people.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 3

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Here’s a well-written article by a doctor from Stanford advocating an end to the lockdown:  https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation

I don't think it is quite accurate... I thought I read there were a couple of deaths under 18, but yeah not many.  However, and  here is the caveat... we are starting to see more and more young people getting admitted into the Hospital I work at in New Rochelle.  My wife warned we might see a post Easter bump and I think we are starting to see it and it is mostly young people in their 30s.  The older folks have either died or somehow managed to survive and been discharged.  It will be interesting see going forward what that statistics show in the next few weeks.

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Here’s a well-written article by a doctor from Stanford advocating an end to the lockdown:  https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/494034-the-data-are-in-stop-the-panic-and-end-the-total-isolation

The following seems like a bit of a strawman:

Five key facts are being ignored by those calling for continuing the near-total lockdown.

I'd say the vast majority of the public, politicians and health officials are only calling for the "lockdown" to continue for a little while longer, until states can safely enter into a phased "re-opening." The writer's use of the word "continuing" makes it sound like people are calling for the "lockdown" to continue until it's 100% safe, until there's a vaccine.

He should have written this a month ago. Of course he couldn't have, because he didn't have the data he cited. For better or worse, rightly or wrongly, the idea of "letting it rip" was rejected.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, nfreeman said:

It is poorly written because it literally ignores the main reason for all of this and that is the the health care system. Those extra sick people are going somewhere. There are treated by someone. That someone may or may not even be (inadequately) equipped, disregarding the fact that even if they were protection isn't 100%. The author conveniently leaves that out.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

11 hours ago, SwampD said:

I've been living under a rock since about Sunday or so.  Emerged last night for the draft.  Is this actually a thing?